Desert Coyote

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Desert Coyote

Post by bullfrog »

I spent most of the morning driving to try to get to some premium coyote calling country. I had time for 6 stands, and the third one was the only productive one. I was hoping to see a couple more dogs, but I'll take the one. He didn't come in until I had been calling for 20-25 minutes. He must have come a long way, because once I saw him he was very committed. I passed up a shot at about 250, and was able to stop him at about 140 yards. The 40 grain vmax blew a big whole out the other side. To bad, because this was one of the prettiest song dogs I've ever shot. He had really long fur. I need to start reloading so I can try some fur friendlier bullets like the bergers. :idea:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Desert Coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Congratulations on the coyote and thanks for the pictures. I like pictures.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

That is one nice coyote. Do you experience pass throughs with the Vmax quite often? (Looks like shot placement wasn't that bad, right behind the front leg.)
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

walleyeman: Shot placement was typical as he was broadside so the entry was similar placement to the exit that you can see. I've shot 6 coyotes with the vmax, and all but 1 have had large exits. One was definately my fault as I shot it in the neck (It was either that or the head). However, the others I've been a little dissapointed on. Even when hitting the shoulder blade, they pass all the way through. I still haven't had one that has not exited.
Oh well, at least they died.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bullfrog: Congrats on another nice dog. I can see that handloading is in your future for sure! Warning: Once you get started, it's addictive! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

tmfisher57
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 .204 Leoupold VX-2 6x18x40 AO

Post by tmfisher57 »

Another fine Oregon dog. Good job Rick, great pics. As usual you have delivered us another great story.
tmfisher57
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good job! Don't be afraid to try the 32gr Vmax's I've had pretty good luck with them. They seem to work well on neck shots! Right now I am shooting them at about 3800 fps. I know you can't get the factory loads at that speed. If you want to get started reloading try the Lee hand press for $20 bucks It works great and you can reload in the kitchen. You can always add more equipment later. But if you are on a tight budget Lee will get you going. I also use the RCBS Partner press and really like it over my heavy press. $54 dollars you can't beat it.