Mystery ?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
adam

Mystery ?

Post by adam »

This is my first attempt at putting pics up on here so bear with me :!:
If this shows up its a shot at a rabbit I took a while back. The point of interest is that I could not find any evidence of an entry or exit hole anywhere on it !!!
However it was knocked down stone dead and had a broken back and a broken front leg. Has anyone experienced this kind of thing before?
I can only think that the bullet must have literally just skimmed over him and the shock or preasure broke its bones.
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Re: Mystery ?

Post by foxwhistler »

What sort of range did you take the shot,and what ammo did you use?
I remember a couple of months ago someone posted on exactly the same subject,but unfortunatly i cant find the post at the moment.Perhaps someone else will come in and point you in the right direction.
Jamie.
Just found out the post was called .204 bullet failure.
Hope this helps.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
adam

Post by adam »

It was 300yds with rem accutip factory ammo in 40grain
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

At that range could the bullet have been a little low, and then gravel or shrapnel from the bullet hitting the ground my have knocked the little bugger silly?
Just a thought.
:duh:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
adam

Post by adam »

I dont know but I have been thinking, and I remember that when I hit the rabbit, or thought I'd hit it, it made that familliar 'whop' sound like bursting a wet paper bag if you get what I mean!!!
Work that out!! :? :?
foxwhistler

Post by foxwhistler »

The longest shot ive actually connected with on a rabbit is 345 yards,and you could definatly see the entrance on that.Huge hole in the shoulder,and that was with a 40 grain V-max.
I think i`ll have to give up on this as the more i think about it,the more im confusing myself.Id like to know the answer though.
On a side note,where are you in carmarthenshire,as im only down the road in llandysul.
Jamie.
adam

Post by adam »

I have shot plenty more at ranges like these and my furthest being 370yds. Most of them i have hit and the wound is large and they are killed instantly. However this business of no entry or exit has happened twice before again with the rabbits having one or several broken limbs!!!
foxwhistler: I'm living about 4 miles llanelli side of carmarthen. What set up you shooting? :D
foxwhistler

Post by foxwhistler »

Just wondering if you have taken the skin off one of these rabbits,and if so,what was the internal damage like?
I`m shooting a Remington L.V.S.F with a leupold 4.5-14x50 long range,and a reflex moderator.
At the moment i`m using 32grain V-max handloads,that are shooting .7 of an inch.Plenty good enough for fox.
As soon as the woodcock season finishes i`m hoping to try some 39grain Sierra`s+35 bergers,but at the moment i just havent got time.
Jamie.
adam

Post by adam »

No I have'nt skinned them. Wish I had now! But I can say that the one of the rabbits this happened to had a broken back and I could hear a lot of jelly like sound inside when I shook it.
Do you know Lloyd at Lampeter gun shop?
Where you working?
adam
foxwhistler

Post by foxwhistler »

I know Lloyd very well.Just hope he never tells the wife how much money i`ve spent in his gun shop over the years.Think that would probably be grounds for divorce.
I work in the abbatoir in llanybyther.
nzs204

Post by nzs204 »

I started a thred awhile back called ".204 bullet failure" if anyone wants to look at it.
I had the same experience with my .204 with factory hornady vmax loads but from much closer range.

I shot a rabbit, from approx 100meters, with i THINK it was 32gr vmax, (although it also could have been a 40gr vmax) , either way it was hornady vmax factory ammo...I shot the rabbit, square in the side as far as i could tell, i put the crosshairs on the rabbit, pulled the trigger, it flopped over instantly, although apon inspection there was no damage at all. No entry, no exit, nothing...just a stone dead rabbit...I still dont know what happened with that particular shot but it is the only rabbit i have ever shot with my .204 that has not been literally inside out...
So you aint the only one who has experienced the magical no damage instant kill .204 round! :roll:
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

not to be gross...

this was a rabbit shot at 412 yards with a 40g vmax, IMVUO (In My Very Uneducated Opinion)it must have been shockwaves or simplly fear that killed the rabbit. I can't see anyway that a projectile travelling at that speed could not have left a mark.

then again I could just be talking out my butt as I just got home from bowling league....

SR
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Shot in the ear?? :shrug:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

Glen wrote:Shot in the ear?? :shrug:
I have shot ground hogs in the ear before. . . from as close as 6 feet away to 175 yds. BUT
there was an exit hole like you wouldn't believe.

I think creekwalkr has some pics of his ghog shot at 6ft. Massive damage!! He was using a 40 gr vmax.
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
finman

Post by finman »

Hi Adam,

the most likely explanation is that the bullet hit the rabbit but did not fragment. Hence it went through the length of the critter (busting bones on the way) and even exited, but leaving a very small hole that you would not notice unless you skinned the animal.

I have had the same experience when shooting rabbits with the .17HMR and, at the beginning I thought I scared them to death, but when I skinned them they were an absolute mess, inside, with the outside having just 2 barely perceptible holes (which you could only observe from the non-hairy side of the hide).

I hope this helps .

Best wishes,

Finman
Better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need one and not have it...