It's officially coyote season again.

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

It's officially coyote season again.

Post by bullfrog »

Well my elk season ended last weekend with no elk, and I've been making myself wait to start getting serious about calling predators until that was over. So this afternoon I went down to my "honey hole" and set up with my foxpro.
It was snowing big flakes and the wind was blowing a little, but it wasn't to bad as far a setting up goes.
I forgot my shooting sticks in the truck, so I set up behind a blown down tree for a rest in the case of a long shot. Only problem is that my view was partially obstructed by my rest.
I called with a jackrabbit sound for about 10 minutes and didn't see anything.
Then I switched to baby cottontail distress and after another 10 minutes saw a dog trotting away from the call. She had come in to about 50 yards and stopped where I couldn't see her. The she trotted away but stopped at 122 yards to look back. This put her to the left side of my rest, so I had to take a free hand shot from a kneeling position.
The 40 grain vmax hit her in the shoulder (breaking it) and exited through a relatively small hole behind her other shoulder.
She dropped in her tracks.

This next pic is looking back to where I was sitting.

And finally the hero shot.

Can't wait to get out there again.
BTW Thanks to Huntsman22 for the inspiration of the rifle paint job. Didn't turn out as nice as his, but I tried.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: It's officially coyote season again.

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Hey Good job on the coyote. Now thats what I call a camo job on the rifle! It looks good. I know it helps keeping the shine off those rifles. It looks cold out there!
Odawgpw/204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ 26" stainless BB & SII 3.5x10x42

Post by Odawgpw/204 »

Thats a great story and nice pics thanks for sharing

I cant wait to get out, the final big game season ends this wednesday. I will give them the rest of the week to finish off the gut pile's and then i will get out and hopfully report back to you guys.

thanks again
Encore w/ 26" SS BB Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5x20x50AO
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

bullfrog, That rifle looks great :D ....... I am finally swamped with work, and have only been out once. No dogs, too warm. Did find a busted spearpoint, tho. I'll go back when it's a little colder and try to get serious about hunting. Hard for me to call when arrowheads are on the brain........ A little snow will cure that. Way to go, get out and slay some more. Don
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

bullfrog,

Congrats on the coyote and thanks for sharing with pictures. You have some good looking country out there that us mid-westerners don't have.

me
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.