204's bad record on coyotes ? Help !

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

204's bad record on coyotes ? Help !

Post by cshooter »

Hi everybody, another question. I have been reading on other sites where the 204 is not good enough for shooting coyotes with Blitzking or V-max bullets because they are too fragile. Some of these guys are guides and see alot of coyote kills. I'm sure they know what will take a coyote and what won't. But it seems that the Berger bullets are not as fragile or something, :huh: and they work on coyotes out to at least 250 yards, or that's what I've read from guys on other sites that are coyote hunters ? Some say the little bullets the 204 shoots are designed for prairie dog and similar sized game, not for a tougher varmint like a coyote ? Should'nt the 204 be at least as good a coyote killer as the 223 ? The bullets are lighter and smaller, but faster, the result should be the same at the same range, right ? Opinoins.................. :? :huh:
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: 204's bad record on coyotes ? Help !

Post by Glen »

Hi cshooter-- The 204 was designed with speed & devestating performance in mind. They wanted smaller things to literally explode with this round. I don't think,, IMHO,,it was designed for dog sized game with the V Max bullets. However,, the Bergers are just the ticket for this size game. They aren't as explosive as the V-max which allows penetration & they don't spalsh nearly as bad/often either. Even tho they are running at 4000fps themselves. Now the BK's have gotten some good reviews on coyotes. They seem to have a thicker jacket design than the V-max. Their main problem from what I've read would be the pass thrus. I would opt for the Bergers if I had enough coyotes come to the call to actually do my own study on bullets. I also know a fella that uses the 32gr V-Max on coyotes & has had very very good luck with them. I carry the 40gr Bergers when I carry my 204 for coyotes.

HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

And there's also the Hornady 45 grain soft point......
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Vartarg mentioned the 45 Hornady Spire Point. My good friend has been usuing it exclusivly the past 6 months and loves it. It even breaks bones on coyotes. From what I have read it is similar in construction to Hornadys Interlok.

Back in Sept., my friend used these on a p-dog shoot, and he swares they are deadly accurate in his 1-12 twist CZ.
:mrgreen:
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

For the 45gr bullets, you might check a posting of mine from early this week, regarding results using 26.7gr of Varget......
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I can't think of one run away with the 204 on coyotes. I do use mostly the 32gr Vmax. I've used 243 & 223 and they are both great rounds but I can use a ultra light rifle with the 204 and not lose sight of my shot. A coyote doesn't have to run far especially at night to be lost. I have had the best results with the 204 it anchors them on the spot not one run away yet. I have had a couple of large wounds when bone was hit but not that bad. I wouldn't obsess about it. I lost several coyotes with my 243 and 223. Bad bullet placement. Broad side shots to far back.
bakerboy

Post by bakerboy »

I think that the .204 is a great round for coyotes. I am using the Sierra 39's with Benchmark and it is running right at 3900 fps. i haev shot 8 dogs with 8 shots. i am a true believer in this round. It also does well at further distances as well. longest kill was at 340 yards. i love it.
wranglerdude

Post by wranglerdude »

My experiences so far have been great with the 32 grain v-max. Every coyote I have shot with that round has gone down on the spot. However, here in the mountains of NC you just don't have to shoot long distances to kill coyotes. I've never had to shoot over 80 yards. Most of the time you can't see over that far because of the terrain. There just isn't alot of open country. I've even killed coyotes with my .204 as close as 30 feet! One coyote I killed that close came out of a little dip right in front of me not 15 seconds after I turned my call on. He surprised me so much I rushed my shot and shot low and I cut both front legs off and blew a big chunk out of the bottom of its chest. And that was with a .32 grain v-max. From my experience it works great for short distances.
James
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Here's a pic of a dog I shot with the 40 grain vmax. Looks like it could have been a .300 win. mag.
It's all about shot placement. If you don't hit em right, there's a good chance they'll drag themselves off. They are tough little buggers. Only one that has got away from me was a bad shot as it was running away at 250 yards. I'm sure it died later that day, and I saved some mule deer and antelope so I'm not worried about it. Middle of summer and it was in my deer hunting area and I just wanted it gone.
.243 is a good choice if you're really serious about not loosing dog's but you'll lose more fur. Don't give up. .204 is lot's of fun on yotes.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I've gone back to the 32gr VMax for coyotes a lot of the time you can't even see the wound. They can cause a large wound at times. Don't obsess over it. I hunt open country and the brush and if you are calling the coyotes in most shots are under a 100 yrds a few out to 200. At that range you could just about use any caliber you want I would most likely get more if I used a shot gun. The 204 is flat shooting with little recoil and is more economical to shoot than a 17 cal. about the same as a 223. but flatter shooting with less recoil so you don't lose sight of your shot. Don't worry pick something and go hunting. Its fun if you don't like it change calibers some one will buy your rifle from you so you can change to something else. Have fun and report back to let us know whats going on.