Gunnison p-dogs are hibernating

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Arizona Hunter

Gunnison p-dogs are hibernating

Post by Arizona Hunter »

This past weekend my friend and I went to Northern AZ to our p-dog area with lots of rounds and nice weather (up to 70). We fired a total of NO rounds at p-dogs! :cry: It seems that all these Gunnison dogs had already closed up for the winter.

From an article I read last week from the CO Game dept, Black tailed dogs may be active all winter, but Gunnisons hibernate. Even though the weather was nice the p-dogs are looking at the arc of the sun through the sky and determine it's time to sleep.

We did see our first Black Footed Ferret. It was amusing watching him, but we left him alone, since they are a protected critter.

Oh, well I guess it's time to do some more coyote calling and also hunt some quail :D , and then in March head back out for sod poodles.
Singleshot

Re: Gunnison p-dogs are hibernating

Post by Singleshot »

We don't have any prairie dogs around here but the Richardson's ground squirrels usually pack it in for the winter around the end of August. A few hardy ones may persist after that but shooting opportunities really dry up as they don't remain long above ground. It makes for a long drought before they re-appear in force in the spring.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

Arizona Hunter wrote:This past weekend my friend and I went to Northern AZ to our p-dog area with lots of rounds and nice weather (up to 70). We fired a total of NO rounds at p-dogs! :cry: It seems that all these Gunnison dogs had already closed up for the winter.

From an article I read last week from the CO Game dept, Black tailed dogs may be active all winter, but Gunnisons hibernate. Even though the weather was nice the p-dogs are looking at the arc of the sun through the sky and determine it's time to sleep.

We did see our first Black Footed Ferret. It was amusing watching him, but we left him alone, since they are a protected critter.

Oh, well I guess it's time to do some more coyote calling and also hunt some quail :D , and then in March head back out for sod poodles.
Hey Arizona Hunter,

I just got back from your beautiful state this past Wed. We stayed in Sedona for a week and on the way home we stayed in Havasu City for 2 nights. There was a heat wave the whole time we were there, is it getting cold there yet? I didn't see any PD's either, but I was just playing tourist. :mrgreen:

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

AH - Those Arizona prairie dogs must have thin skin. Our CO BT prairie dogs will hang out all winter long as the sun is out.

Jimmy - goin to the farm tomorrow night to spend a few days, maybe shoot a deer, sight in a buddies rifle and shoot some winter pds if they cooperate.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

skb2706 wrote:AH - Those Arizona prairie dogs must have thin skin. Our CO BT prairie dogs will hang out all winter long as the sun is out.

Jimmy - goin to the farm tomorrow night to spend a few days, maybe shoot a deer, sight in a buddies rifle and shoot some winter pds if they cooperate.
Sounds like fun Steve. Is it getting real cold there yet or snowing?

If you get some winter dogs post a few pictures. My 6BR should be ready in a few weeks. I can't wait to try it out on a few PD's and see how far I can hit one from.

Have fun, and tell the family hi for us.
Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

joghotrod wrote:
Arizona Hunter wrote:This past weekend my friend and I went to Northern AZ to our p-dog area with lots of rounds and nice weather (up to 70). We fired a total of NO rounds at p-dogs! :cry: It seems that all these Gunnison dogs had already closed up for the winter.

Hey Arizona Hunter,

I just got back from your beautiful state this past Wed. We stayed in Sedona for a week and on the way home we stayed in Havasu City for 2 nights. There was a heat wave the whole time we were there, is it getting cold there yet? I didn't see any PD's either, but I was just playing tourist. :mrgreen:

Jimmy

Sounds like you had a real nice visit. As for cold-no. Here in central phoenix the lowest I've seen on the truck thermometer in the past two weeks is 47.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Weather will have to cooperate before we will even have a chance. Its been ok down there but the weekend could be kinda rough. Great if you're deer hunting but it won't bring the dogs up. A buddy of mine from the gym just bought a new 22-250 so we are going to dial it in ...weather permitting and i know he is more interested in the pds than the deer. Me, I don't care either way. I have a freezer or two full of game meat now...in fact I made arrangements to use another freezer if I decide to get a deer this weekend.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

This weekend my wife and I are taking a CPR class at the community college and then Sunday I need to sight in my grandsons .22, since I just put a scope on it. Guess I'll bring some other rifles to the range too and make it a good morning. :mrgreen:

Deer-whats that? Just kidding. I did not get drawn for any big game hunts this year :( . I'm not really complainng to loudly though, because we are still eating meat from last years deer and cow elk. :D
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Our cold weather prairie dogs were out in bunches over this last weekend. Once the wind died down and the temps settled about 60 degrees we had some great shootin for Dec.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel