what should i get for a gun

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
predhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

what should i get for a gun

Post by predhunter »

i am think about geting a H&R Ultra Varmint Fluted in 204. how is it and do you no of any other low priced guns in 204. $450 and lower.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: what should i get for a gun

Post by Glen »

I would check into the CZ American in 204R. My area sells them for $425.HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Years ago I had a H&R. The barrel was crude the finish was crude and the trigger was horried. The rifle took a lot of work to get into shape. It sounds as if H&R has upgraded a little due to popularity. I sold the rifle. If you are going to shoot tight groups you need a good trigger. The CZ is a great rifle If I could have gotten one for under $500 dollars I would of bought one. The swap meet here often offers good rifles for under $500 dollars. I would suggest any bolt action over a break open. All though I did like the Handy Rifle I just wish it had been better quality.
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

does any one any thing about the howa lightning and how it shoots.
aulrich

Post by aulrich »

I have a 204 handi though it is the plain 22 bull barrel, it came out of the box shooting 3/4" for 3 a 100 with factory, handload do a bit better. It's no CZ but your not rigging a CZ for under 450. Triggers are heavy but crisp, and fixable. and your right it is the only econo gun in 204.

There is a real active Handi sub group at http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com. I have had 3 of them 1 took a far bit of work to get to shoot right the other 2 were good straight away (my other one is a superlight converted to 22 k-hornet), and a 7-08 barrel coming.

There is an extensive faq at the top of the group at gbo.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

predhunter wrote:does any one any thing about the howa lightning and how it shoots.
i have a howa 1500 in 204. i am still working up some loads for her, but from what i have experienced, this is a great rifle. i did install a timney trigger. original cost was 530.00.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Ryan S Albright

Hey Predhunter where do you live and where and what are you going to use the rifle for? If you are just hunting coyotes,fox,Rockchucks,Bobcats. I would suggest a medium weight sporter, If you are going for the alfalfa fields to shoot squirrels all day long I would suggest a heavy barrel rifle. I have an ultra light,medium and heavy barrel Rugers all in 204 they all shoot great I payed right around $500 dollars for each of them. The heavy only gets brought out for the squirrel fields where the shooting gets hot and heavy but I all so rotate with the other rifles and they work well they just heat up faster. The Ultra light is set up for night hunting. I use the sporter weight for day time hunting. I never thought I would own this many rifles but the 204 is a very pleasant round to shoot and fits very well with the type of hunting I do. Its one of the least expensive rounds to reload a bout the same as a .223 if you shoot much you will want to reload. I would not be afraid to buy used. I have bought two rifles from the swap meet here with just a few rounds through them as good as new in my book with a discounted price. shop around and you might get a rifle with the scope and a good trigger set and ready to go.
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

i live in maine and will mostly be huning coyotes and be doing some 400 yard shots most of the time under 300 yards. Ryan S Albright do you now how well the Howa/Hogue is or the Howa Lightning is and i will be doing some target shooting.
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

and do u no how well the H&R Ultra Varmint is.
crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Post by crazy2medic »

Me and my boy both have NEF Handi-rifles in .204, we went last may to shoot prairie dogs in the texas panhandle, our shots were from 285 out to 400yd (laser rangefinder) we had no problems connecting at those distances, only problem we had was slow reload times, if your on a budget and those are all you can afford, there's nothing wrong with those rifles, but they could use some better triggers!
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
22khornet

Post by 22khornet »

I have the CZ american in 204 and really like it. Now that said I also have a H&R and like it just as well. Now the H&R is not in 204 but when I sent it in to have another barrel fitted for it I did have them do a trigger job (no charge then) and man is that thing lite. Almost to lite in fact. I really have to be carefull if I have gloves on or sometimes I shoot before I am ready.

If you are on a budget and would like other calibers I would go with the Handi. Mine currently has .223 barrel, 357 mag (converted to max) barrel a 20 guage ultra slug barrel, and a stainless muzzy barrel. All for about $100 more than my CZ.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball
Ryan S Albright

I liked my handy rifle for its handiness and it didn't bother me to let it ride barrel down on the floor board of my rig because it had a finish like a peace of raw steel. The paint really helped it. I had to shoot 200rnds through it to get it to group and pillard the barrel. The trigger sucked but the gun has a good point of aim when thrown to the shoulder and when hunting at night you knew what you had in your hand. My Handy Rifle opened up on its own quit often this bugged me. If you can get a Howa for a decent price It will give you a quick second shot. You don't need a heavy barrel with the 204. It will shoot the 440 yrds. just fine. Ruger has there standard rifle for Under $500 dollars you can order just about any rifle you want from Wal Mart they only mark there rifles up 8% so shop around. Handy rifles are fun but crude they do have a following on the web which you can go to for help. Any of the new rifles will shoot but you will need a nice trigger to make the long shots and get the tight groups. Savages Accutrigger is great. Ruger M77 MkII trigger needs to be replaced with a Timney in my opinion and this is easy but will cost about $87 dollars plus shipping. Maine I know has some nasty weather I would think a nice stainless steel rifle with a plastic stock would be the ticket in that country. There are several brands out there for just over $500 hundred dollars. Or check the used market. Be bold you will love the 204. You can save money on the scope a basic 3x9 will work for coyotes.
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

thanks every one for the info. does any one no how well the howa rifles are like the Howa/Hogue or the Howa Lightning.
nzs204

Post by nzs204 »

iv got a howa 1500 standard barrel in .204
It is extremly accurate. It wears a hogue full-bed aluminum stock and a leupold 6-18 scope.
I dont reload and it shoots both the 32gr and 40gr hornady loads better then i can shoot them. (i have only ever shot it off a bipod) and am able to shoot well under and inch easily just off my bipod with no rear rest and factory ammo.
Its action is also very smooth and the barrel cleans very easily. an excellent buy for the money id reccomend one.
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

thanks i will prob by the Howa Lightning at walmart for $415 is that a good deal.