P-dog hunting, depends on climate? Year round?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Outlaws

P-dog hunting, depends on climate? Year round?

Post by Outlaws »

So what is the deal with prairie dogs....do they hibernate? I know they are abundant in South Dakota, so i would assume so. We got them here is AZ, or so I hear, and I was told a good place to go for it. Its up in northern AZ though, so I want to know what their habits are like. Its still a bit hot, and even in the high country it can be less than enjoyable outside at this time of year. I was thinking mid-October. Will they still be around?
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: P-dog hunting, depends on climate? Year round?

Post by acloco »

Yes. They do not hibernate.

Gophers DO hibernate...prairie dogs are year long sun worshippers.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm told that PDogs will dig out of 16" of snow to get in the sun, and I know several guys who like to "paint the snow" with PDog parts :D

I'm a numbers kind of guy, I like late May, when the pups are coming out, it means MORE shootin'! I like shootin' :twisted: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

In 1995 my pd shootin' partner and I decided to try to shoot dogs every month of the year. We got 'er done, but almost missed in Dec. when holiday and family took up most of the month and we had to get our dogs on the last weekend of the month during a cold snap. We hunted 7 hours to each get one dog, got 2 coyotes that day too. I lived in Malta at the time, Phillips county of Montana. It is quite colorfull to shoot pd's on a sunny winter day when the ground is covered with snow, beats watchin' football.
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

Sounds good. Now off to work up a load for the 204.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
acloco

Post by acloco »

Hotshot wrote:In 1995 my pd shootin' partner and I decided to try to shoot dogs every month of the year. We got 'er done, but almost missed in Dec. when holiday and family took up most of the month and we had to get our dogs on the last weekend of the month during a cold snap. We hunted 7 hours to each get one dog, got 2 coyotes that day too. I lived in Malta at the time, Phillips county of Montana. It is quite colorfull to shoot pd's on a sunny winter day when the ground is covered with snow, beats watchin' football.
For those of you who have never been on the Malta, Montana bench, in the winter, WITH the wind blowing....well..it is the second coldest place on earth. #1 coldest place on earth has ALWAYS been Minot, North Dakota....at least in my experience. :)
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

acloco wrote:For those of you who have never been on the Malta, Montana bench, in the winter, WITH the wind blowing....well..it is the second coldest place on earth. #1 coldest place on earth has ALWAYS been Minot, North Dakota....at least in my experience. :)
I was just trying to picture what that experience must have been like. You've helped to make the image quite vivid (and frosty) in my mind.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Outlaws wrote:so I want to know what their habits are like
Anyone who lives in the metro area of CO can assure you they absolutely do not hibernate. We see them year round as long as the sun is shining. They are not even particularly concerned about cold, they hate rain, wind and clouds.
Right after the big blizzards on the prairies this last winter we would see them out in the sun and most would have had to dig thru several inches, if not feet of snow to get there.

Prairie dogs have two habits, they eat, they make more prairie dogs, that is about it.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
acloco

Post by acloco »

Mike wrote:
acloco wrote:For those of you who have never been on the Malta, Montana bench, in the winter, WITH the wind blowing....well..it is the second coldest place on earth. #1 coldest place on earth has ALWAYS been Minot, North Dakota....at least in my experience. :)
I was just trying to picture what that experience must have been like. You've helped to make the image quite vivid (and frosty) in my mind.

Mike - Have you ever been to Minot, ND in February? I am a tough Montana boy...but not NEARLY tough enough or own enough REAL "cold wind weather" clothes.
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

Jeez you guys sound like a bunch of sissies. The important part of the story is that prairie dog shooting can be enjoyed all year long. I was born and raised in eastern North Dakota and never knew it was cold there untill I moved away. I thought everybody knew northern Minnesota is the coldest place on earth anyway.
acloco

Post by acloco »

LOL! Minnesota has the "lake effect" going for it.

Wanna talk about maskeeters? Go to Minnesota. Have heard Alaska are bigger, but I figure if a state actually list the mosquito as the state bird, it has got to be BIG!
Nodak7mm
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger VT

Post by Nodak7mm »

+1 on what Hotshot said!! You did not know it was cold until you moved away and noted everybody else dang near wearing snow suits and your still wearing T-shirts.. One can always dress for cold. Cant dress well enough for heat or skeeters!!!

Hotshot, where from in Nodak? I have lived on both sides of the Red for better part of 25 yrs..

Rod
I really love Lefse' !!!
bones

Post by bones »

Here in Kansas the p-dog shooting season is truly determined by cattle and when they are in the pastures. About when the pups start coming out, the cattle start going into the pastures, so that ends the shooting. Other than that, they are out when its sunny. Unfortunately, pheasant hunting tends to preoccupy me until Feb. That's the best shooting here as the pd's haven't been fired up much.
work supports my hunting habit
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

Hey Nodak, I grew up in Fargo, but moved to Montana when I was 16. Still get back once in a while to visit friends and relatives in Fargo, Grand Forks, and Devils Lake. Try not to go in Jan. or Feb. though.