.204 vs.........

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Hutch20

.204 vs.........

Post by Hutch20 »

Mountain lion?? whatcha think? do'able? say within 200 yrds, 40 or even 45,or 50 gr bullet.

Would you do it?

Hutch
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Mountian Kitties

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hutch: As many guys here hunt them with hounds (until the bunny-huggers voted 'no'...), and use 22 Magnums on treed cats, I'd say that the 204 would easily put one down. As always though, shot placement would be critical, as would penetration. That said, I'd say the 45gr SP Hornady would be the ideal bullet choice for the 204.

This subject was discussed at great length a few months ago here. If you scroll back some pages, you'll see many opinions.

After seeing the terminal effects of critters I'ver personally shot with my 204, I see no problem using it on cats. Again though, shot placement.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hutch20

Post by Hutch20 »

shot placement is everything

Thanks Rick

Hutch
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

There was a guy over here that shot one with his .204, said it didn't run very far at all. I think he was using the 35 Bergs.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Hutch20

Post by Hutch20 »

35 bergers... wow! I was kinda leanin tords tha 45's maself.

Hutch
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Yeah, probably a better choice :lol: But as everybody else said, shot placement! I would rather have a '250 if one came around, but if it gave me the "perfect" shot, I might.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Hutch20

Post by Hutch20 »

Yea... I can think of a coupla differnt calibers I'ld rather use,BUT, this poor white boy's only gonna use what hes got, so I'ld better make it count. Sides iffen I actually get a cross hair on im within a year I'll be suprised.

Hutch
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

so good for cat good for deer than??
They weigh about the same??
HMM :eek:

If you shoot the cat and it runs off what do you do??
Go into the thickets after it? or
go home and get your 270?
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Varmonter wrote:so good for cat good for deer than??
I sincerely hope we don't go down this road again. Experience has taught me (and hopefully many others) that the discussion will end badly. :(
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Amen, Mike......let's NOT go there again. :!:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

ok sorry ..you all are right.. my bad.. :oops:
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

ok sorry ..you all are right.. my bad.. :oops:
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

As Rick stated, the 22 Magnum round fired from a revolver has killed many a treed mountain lion back when using dogs was a common way to hunt them.

In reality, they are thin skinned and for the most part their light body structure is not very durable against even a 22 Magnum round. Shooting a mountain lion is nothing like hunting rhinos in Africa, and it definitely doesn't require anywhere near the same horsepower to kill one.

A 204 Ruger with a 39-40 grain bullet would be more that sufficient if the bullet was put in the right place.

If you shoot one in the foot or around the fringes (with any cartridge) and leave him feeling hurt, cornered....and pissed..... you might want to quickly consult with the Pope for further directions while you're getting out of the way.

Even in that situation, he's not going to hang around to "whup up on ya'" any longer than he has to to get away. But a well placed shot from even a 22 Magnum will generally end any problems very quickly and keep you from having to track a wounded cat. On the other hand, a poorly placed shot from any cartridge might increase the level of excitement you experience for a moment.

JMO -BCB
creekwalkr
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 single shot synthetic stock

Post by creekwalkr »

I'm not sure about big cats (since we don't see too many in southern Ohio) but the stray cats we get around the place don't seem to mind too much when I put a 40 grain poly tip straight through em

the 40 gr hornady poly tip or the 45 gr sp should do nicely on a larger cat with more meat to allow the bullet to expand/explode.

I love my 204 and I'm passionate about it. The biggest encounter I've had this caliber is that it is capable of a lot of things. . . if you know where to put the bullet.

I like the pic posted of the coyote with the entrance through the eye socket.

I'm not happy until I'm hitting golf balls at 200yds.......then I have room to play!

eyes are soft and so is the brain. If I can see it, I can hit it. That's what I strive for.
"All I need is ONE GOOD SHOT . . ."