Montana Flying Prairie Dog Circus

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
goody523

Montana Flying Prairie Dog Circus

Post by goody523 »

Posted by popular demand in a previous thread, here are more photos of the Montana trip we recently took. The prairie dogs out there are very talented in acrobatics, however they only seem to want to give one performance before they are all worn out (inside out, in fact) and you have to go find one of their buddies and train them to perform.

ACT 1 - Fred Does a Reverse Half Gainer

ACT 2 - Tom Does a Triple Lindy

ACT 3 - Bob Doing the Long Jump

ACT 4 - Encore Performance by "Red" in the High Jump

If I spent as much time trying to manage my investments as I do researching guns and shooting I could retire 15 years earlier...
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

awesome! pictures and awesome! camera work
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
aussiemick

Post by aussiemick »

Once again that is awsome

Cheers Mick
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

love the second to last picture, its facial expression is priceless :lol:
NuMatthu

Post by NuMatthu »

EXACTLY WHICH CALIBRE WERE YOU USING AGAIN???

I showed these pictures to some workmates and they won't beleive that a .204 could do this
goody523

Post by goody523 »

These all all from my .204 using 39gr Sierra Blitzkings at 3850 fps. I can tell you that my .223 with 60 gr V-Max's at 2850 fps was every bit as destructive, but none of these photos were when that gun was being used. The most destructive of all was my dad's .22-250 with 60 gr V-Max's - don't know the speed, but they tended to just disentegrate the dog instead of launching him if you made a center hit.
If I spent as much time trying to manage my investments as I do researching guns and shooting I could retire 15 years earlier...
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I went around to several other websites and linked them to those pics, they seemed very impressed, both with the .204 AND your photos, as I am. Bodacious stuff there :trophy: :wtg: :!:

BTW, I'm most impressed with Tom, he really put his everything into his performance!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
goody523

Post by goody523 »

Tom did perform admirably - we worked on that scene over and over until he had it just right. Unfortunately, as with most of his castmates, his show is a one time only performance.

What other sites did you link this to? There might be a couple of other good ones out there that I didn't know about.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

Fantastic shots Goody ! What kind of camera/ lens set-up did you have. Were you taking multiple pictures or single shots of each performance? What a great bunch of actors and what a great teacher you are :!:
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
goody523

Post by goody523 »

If you look at the other recent post I have "Montana Trip - Photos" you will see a description of the camera set-up and technique used (someone asked the same question on that post). The one thing I will tell you about getting hooked on photography is that it is nearly as addictive (and financially painful) as getting hooked on shooting rifles. Proceed with caution!
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

YOU ROCK
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I posted on a couple of Missouri deerhunting sites,(some of them shoot PDs, too) and a couple of Australian sites, they love the .204s for fox, cats and other feral stuff.

http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/vi ... ?tid=38556

This got the most responses, all very favorable :D The Aus sites are kinda hard to navigate and get stuff from, but if you look at the .204 questions in the Equipment section of www. australianhunting.net, you should notice a couple of my posts. I get around........... :lol:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Those pictures are great! I've made a futile attempt at getting some action shots, most fell victim to the delete button. You really know how to use that camera. Was wacking them myself just a week ago, and will have to keep looking at your photos until June next year. Great Job!
MinotBob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender G2 .204 Ruger

Post by MinotBob »

Hi Goodie
I was wondering what combo of camera/lens you used to take these pictures. I have never been able to get close enough to PD to take that good a picture.
MinotBob