.204 meets mr fox

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
craigyboy

.204 meets mr fox

Post by craigyboy »

I had a bit of spare time this evening before dark so I took the Cooper to my grandads farm, I hadnt been in ages as I used to hunt this place very hard and got real sick of it and there was barely a rabbit or fox to be seen last time I was there but I knew that some of the ground had been ploughed so I though I might get a crow or two. I waited for crows for a while but didnt get a sniff so I went off for a walk I ended up at the top of a very steep field looking into another very steep field when i spotted a Vixen trotting along I got down on the bipod and ranged it at 254 yards and reckoned there was a good 10 mph wind from the right. She stopped walking and sat facing me so i decided to go for the head shot and just put the cross hair to the very top of her head and held off for the wind, slipped the trigger and watched her drop on her back flat not a kick very satisfying shot. I was expecting a bit of a mess but when I got to her there wasnt actually that much damage to her head and there was no exit wound but her head was pure mulch inside so I think the 32g v-max did its job, her teats were still showing slightly but the fur was growing back around them and they were very dry so I would say the cubs would have been weaned off her by now but I have an idea where her den is so I will check it out tommorow just to make sure. i didnt take the camera with me, I wish I had as it would have been a lovely picture from where I shot her but I brought her back with me so got a pic of her there.

Also got these 2 rabbits during the week one was at 250 yards and the other was at about 210 yards.

I must say I am enjoying the heck out of this cooper and am getting pretty confident with it I know the ranges these kills were at are not super longe range to you guys but to me its about as far as I have ever shot.
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

thats awesome, wish i coulda been there! i always like seeing headshots :twisted:
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

But hate seeing full titties.............
budman-8

Post by budman-8 »

Good job nice pics keep them coming let use know if you find the den
Make some fur fly
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Good job!

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Nice shooting! The cooper sure is a slick rifle. You will find out that the 32gr Vmax bullets will shoot as far as you can see with out scope adjustment they are flat shooting. When I was in the alfalfa fields I found holding over or under to be a mistake with the 32s just put the cross hairs on them and fire from 25 yrds out past 300yrds. Always good to see your post Craigyboy.
adam

Post by adam »

Quality mate. wish i could get the same results over here in wet windy wales :?
BOGIE

Post by BOGIE »

Nice rifle but is it fox season where you are at? It isn't around here because it is birthing season and you risk killing the whole liter by shooting the mother.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bogie: Craigyboy is in Ireland....might be much different on the other side of the world.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

cubs at this time of the year here are at least two months old so more than capable of looking after themselves, there is no closed season on foxes here as they are vermin and due to sheep farms being in the middle of lambing season coinciding with hungry fox cub season fox control is very important to the sheep farmer. Usually the vixen wont leave the den much until the cubs are capable of looking after themselves so the fact that she is out is a sign that she can be culled, generally the dog fox does most of the catching and bringing back of the food to the den and if there is a spare vixen in the area that didnt pair up that season she will also help with the litter so when you shoot the vixen you still have the dog feeding the cubs and possibly another vixen. This is how generally things work in these parts but obviously in other habitats things may vary.