Crow sniping

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: Crow sniping

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I thought we had plenty of crows here, but a local bird book says they're actually ravens. Anyway, fair game here, and if there's a risk of them messing with my 3 calves due later this year, then I'm gonna spend some time reducing their population.
Another shooter told me that a dead one attracts others, so shoot one, and more come! That sounds like fun :D
flys low
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by flys low »

375 yards.
clint85
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger MKII .204 Ruger

Post by clint85 »

I too enjoy shooting crows with the .204 shooting 32 gr. BK. What kind of technique do you guys use? I usually set up the crow caller under a few large trees in a valley and then get away about 200 yards on a hill. I do this so i'm shooting down in the ground instead of in the air. When the distance is right the sound of the gunshots doesn't scare off the crows and they keep circling the caller. When they land the get picked off one by one. Lots of fun.
Carolinablue
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Venture

Post by Carolinablue »

I'll have to say my best shot was with a Rem. 22.250 at 250 yards. I waited two crows out until they lined up, and fired away. Saw the wings fly apart and figured I just got the one. Next day, the guy that was tending the land was walking around checking his corn coming up and he came back up to me and asked if I killed those two crows. Wow both of 'em yea man, I got'em both. That's been a good 5 yrs ago and haven't had that opportunity again. Have shot a couple with my 204, but only at a 100 yds.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Morning all. I can add to this subject.. My 1st custom 204 Ruger rifle I put together I gave to my brother for crow control. Out of his 1st 12 rounds shot, he has anchored 7 crows and one woodchuck. His lawn is open for 125 yards to the tree line.
I get the the rifle back to clean and re-load for it. His smile is priceless. His comment to me now, is the crows have talked and now it is an unsafe landing zone on his property and they will only land in the surrounding trees. Haha.
Yep the lil 204 Ruger is a great round!!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Carolinablue
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Venture

Post by Carolinablue »

Yep crows are amazing in the fact they learn the range of a rifle pretty quick and will stay just out of range. They also learn to watch doors to see when they open. I can't hardly get out of the house now to get a crow. I do have some luck with the younger one in late Spring and early Summer for the ones still learning.... :)
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Aye, I can't crack a window open if a sentry is within sight. On a day off, sometimes I'll get the barrel out the window defore daylight and they don't catch on...
mcsenna
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mk11 TV

Post by mcsenna »

Seems like crows are universally hated. The last one I shot with a 12 g, the one before i missed with a 22 and shot my TV antenna down instead. Felt pretty stupid that day must say, I swear that thing came back every day for weeks and laughed at me, as soon as I got out of bed it would fly away laughing it's head off. That was 20 years ago, hopefullly the bloody thing has died of old age by now.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

mcsenna wrote:hopefullly the bloody thing has died of old age by now.
They don't die from old age - you have to hunt it down and get your revenge :lol:
mcsenna
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mk11 TV

Post by mcsenna »

Probably a bit late for that one Dan, i will have to go after his offspring. didn't hear about the fire in the Flinders. Apparently the cattle have wet bellies from the grass for the first time after 10 years of drought so they are all restocking. Been living on goats and a few sheep for a while now. i'm hoping to get up there later this month or early June to try out the new Ruger.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
mcsenna wrote:hopefullly the bloody thing has died of old age by now.
They don't die from old age - you have to hunt it down and get your revenge :lol:
Repeatedly too!! :twisted:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen