Skippy Flies Again on the 20 Cal Express (Part II)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Skippy Flies Again on the 20 Cal Express (Part II)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

majcl5 wrote:Great pics Rick i love the pipe kill and the little school of rats. I love when mommas around and they just cling to her in clumps of targets.
Thanks Mark. The "pipe painting" event was a hoot to be sure. When the pups gather at the hole as shown above, if you hold just right when a couple of them line up......well, it brings an entirely new meaning to the term "group shoot"....... If mom or dad happens to be there too (larger aiming point), it adds larger "secondary projectiles" into the mix. :lol:

Who ever said squirrels can't fly? :wink: (It's amazing what a squirrel or PD can do with a "204 Assist"!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

Hey Rick and others, what is your technique for getting the action shots of the projectile hitting the target, i.e. "The Matter Splatter"? Are you using a device to release the shutter as you pull the trigger, or just using an assistant? I ask because I shoot a Nikon DSLR with a 200mm lens. Someday I'll have my dream 400mm prime but them's pricey buggers. Nonetheless, even with my 200 lens I should be able to get some good "parting shots". I was just wondering how I could do it as I mostly shoot alone (can't get anyone to come rain bullets with me, can you believe it?!) so I haven't been able to get the action shots like you fine fellers. ;)
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

sharptailhunter wrote:Hey Rick and others, what is your technique for getting the action shots of the projectile hitting the target, i.e. "The Matter Splatter"? Are you using a device to release the shutter as you pull the trigger, or just using an assistant? I ask because I shoot a Nikon DSLR with a 200mm lens. Someday I'll have my dream 400mm prime but them's pricey buggers. Nonetheless, even with my 200 lens I should be able to get some good "parting shots". I was just wondering how I could do it as I mostly shoot alone (can't get anyone to come rain bullets with me, can you believe it?!) so I haven't been able to get the action shots like you fine fellers. ;)
Best accessory for the Nikon DSLR cameras is the $19 remote. Camera on a tripod, remote in your hand... click. They work awesome. They are IR though so the camera has to be able to "see" the signal. That is about the only way to get shots like Rick's photos if you are shooting alone.

Rick's are some of the nicest photos I've come across.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

STH: To catch Skippy at his flying best, using a 200mm lens (yeah, a 400mm is on my want-list too...) either take the pic over the shooters shoulder on "one, two, three", or put the camera on "Continuos Mode" so it'll fire 3.5 frames per second as the count gets to "two" and let her rip until the rat finally lands. Some of the newer DSLR's shoot faster than 3.5fs, so the possible effects are even more promising.

Either way, it takes two to do this tango, unless you use a wireless remote for your DSLR and shoot on "continuos" as described. Nikon and Canon both offer the remotes.

Trent: I was typing as you were posting.......thanks bud. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

Awesome, I'm gonna try it. I have the cheap Nikon remote and a tripod. My camera shoots 5 frames/second so we'll see if I can get some shots with my shots ;) Unfortunately, I'm on call this weekend and the weather is supposed to be beautiful. :(
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Great write-up as usual, Rick! We enjoyed meeting the crew. Awesome set-up you guys have. Hope next year's weather cooperates a little more for us!
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Excellent post as per your usual RIO!! :wink: Very enjoyable!! The Farmers here are starting on the hay now so maybe I'll have some videos in the coming weeks as trade for your post!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks Glen....it's been so wet here, no telling when the crops will be ready for cutting. We are ready for some "204'd" chuck pics from the midwest though!

tt35:
Tim - It was great finally meeting you and Verminator 2 face-to-face in the rat patch recently. Keep those rock chuck pics a comin'! If/when this rotten weather finally breaks, I'm headed up to a large horse ranch north of here that a severe chuck problem. Now it's decision time....which 204 to take? :chin:

See you next season. Tell Ben to leave you a few chucks for practice, okay? :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I am really itching to get some posted too Rick!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen