i got growled at.

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Bayou City Boy

Re: i got growled at.

Post by Bayou City Boy »

204cat wrote:http://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/t ... -sightings

so that is what it looks like. maybe it goat confused ?
And after scientific examination, this is what about 99.99+% of them turn out to be...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38253504

-BCB
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

Hood County animal control officer, shot the canine last week when it growled at him.
at least i am not the only one that got growled at. interesting.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Some years ago I spent an afternoon with the late Mr. Ronnie Bremner, founder and then curator of the Loch Ness Monster Exhibit and Museum in Drumnadrochit, Scotland. He'd overheard me mentioning to another tourist in the museum's gift shop that I had a copy of a book on Nessie written by the equally late Mr. F.W. Holiday. When I was a kid I had a fascination with the Loch Ness Monster and at one point I systematically had gone through the local bookstore's book catalog and had bought a copy of every book then in print on the subject as I could raise the cash.

That book never sold well and by the time I was old enough to finance my own trip to Scotland, it was out of print and considered quite rare. Mr. Bremner took from the fact that I should have a copy of what he called, "the Holiday book" that I must have had a serious interest in the mysteries of Loch Ness so he graced me with the nickel tour of his private collection.

One of the stories he told me was about this Mr. Holiday, who just recently had died. Mr. Bremner said Mr. Holiday was a touch eccentric and completely obsessed with finding Nessie. He apparently believed that the creature had a sort telepathy and could sense when anyone was watching for it. So when he went Nessie-watching, he'd set up his camera and tripod with the lens trained on the loch, then he'd sit down next to it with his back to the water. At irregular intervals, he would snap his head around, hoping to catch a glimpse of Nessie in a moment of inattention.

And if he took the notion to drive around the loch for a while, searching as he drove, he would stand and shout toward the loch, [Scottish Brogue] "Right, I'm giving up the searching now. I'm getting into my car and driving straight away from the loch, so if Nessie should come out now, I'd be far away and have no chance atall to see her." [/Scottish brogue] Then he'd get into his car and spend the rest of the afternoon driving the roads that circle the loch, with one eye on the road and the other trained on the water.

So maybe Mr. F.W. Holiday was just ahead of his time. Maybe he should have been a chupacabra hunter instead.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

WOW what a privilege! i was always had a fascination for that kind of stuff. i recall watching shows on tv like "in search of" and "unsolved mysteries" where they did a whole show on stuff like crop circles and nessie and ufos. that link i put up coast to coast am does nightly radio shows on all kinds of stuff like that. last week they had one on "chubbie" guess she is not in mexico any more.
Fred_C_Dobbs

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

It was a mixed blessing. I started the trip a true believer and ended it thinking the only way you could ever see Nessie was looking through the bottom of an empty Scotch bottle.

One of the things Mr. Bremner showed me was a full-frame print of "the Surgeon's photograph." Since 1934, only the cropped version had been seen and from that perspective, it looks like it could be some giant sea monster:

But when you see the entire frame, it's obvious from the size of the surrounding waves that "Nessie" is really pretty small:

Since then, of course, one of the men involved in faking the photo copped to it on his death bed.

OTOH, Mr. Bremner said he personally knew several locals who claimed they'd seen it. People whose character he knew only too well, doctors and policemen and priests, folks with sterling reputations and nothing to gain from lying. He said from looking into their eyes as they told their story, he was convinced they'd seen something animated and unexplained living in the loch. He was convinced there was something there but was clueless what it might be.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

looks like a toy. they had some 100 lbs catfish on tv maybe it was one of those people are seeing ?

i recall hearing about the confession but do not remember the details.
Fred_C_Dobbs

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

It was the neck from a plastic dinosaur glued to a 12" toy submarine.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

that sounds like fun. what about all the other people that claimed that they seen something real big ? and the sounds that they said they heard ?
the speculations by scientists of what it could be ? i am sure there may have been a few hoaxes but it is that one "real" sighting that i am interested in. i recall that there was other pictures.

run nessie run !!!!
or should i say swim nessie swim !!!!
Fred_C_Dobbs

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Mr. Bremner -- who I figure had the catbird seat -- said that every new "reliable" sighting or bit of evidence that came along always pointed in some completely different direction. I gather he found the whole situation equal parts amusing and frustrating.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

maybe there was more than one large reptile ? maybe that is why there was so many different reports ?
Fred_C_Dobbs

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

204cat wrote:maybe there was more than one large reptile ? maybe that is why there was so many different reports ?
Dunno. The reptile/dinosaur thing always has seemed unlikely because there are so few fish in the loch. It has very steep sides so the water gets real deep, deal quick. And cold. And dark. The peat that makes that wondermous Scottish distilled beverage possible runs off with the rain and settles into the loch. So the water is just about black. Just not real hospitable to fish. Or other living critters.

Reading all those books when I was a kid, the one "fact" that came up most often in all those eye-witness descriptions was that the creature has multiple humps. Sometimes two, sometimes three, sometimes four. Sometimes a witness would report that the number of visible humps would change in a single sighting. That always vexed me because that completely ruled out the dinosaur thing, and that's what I most wanted to be true.

But like the man said, the details of just about every "reliable" eye-witness account contradict the details of every other. It's a mystery that powers the local tourist economy.
silverity
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by silverity »

Interesting story about FW Holiday,

I have a Nessie blog if you want to touch base on the loch ness monster:

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Have you seen anything of the animal yet? I am going to guess it is a old and wise Raccoon. Let us know.. BIll K :huh:
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Here in the USA a Mink will kill a lot of Chickens and only eat part of them...seems they are determind to kill them all just for the Sport of it?I would set out some more traps and a trail camera just to see what exactly Your dealing with?If a Predator or Stray Animal kills our Farm Animals we are allowed to protect our property/livestock and kill whats doing the damage...You may need a Shotgun that can cover a wider area if a close range shot is needed? :chin:
204cat

Post by 204cat »

oh forgot an update.... oops. the growling as far as i know i think was a coyote. earlier this year in or was it last year the trap caught a oppossum. the trap caught another poppossum.

bought another batch of chickens. and built a better coop. so far so good. no eggs yet.