shooting bench

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: shooting bench

Post by doobie »

i mean this from the bottom of my heart . i want to thank everybody who have taken time to respond on different types of shooting benches .
i wish i could use one of those nice ones that you all use on praire dogs ( i've never been p.d. hunting and really want to , it's on my bucket list and that bucket is getting heavy ). but i need a bench for wood chucks here in ohio ( i occationaly put the bi-pod on and flop on my belly when i go out .
) . i have to pack it in on my back , walk in is usually about 1/4 to 1/2 mile . have to be very mobile . aren't alot of woodchucks like in yrs past . the fence rows are all being taken out and cover is sparse . so you walk in and if your lucky you spot and shoot a chuck . pack out and go to another farm . the chucks like to feed in the early evening
( say... 5 or 5;30 till 7;30 so theres not alot of time to shoot in the evenings ) .
thats why i have been racking my brain on a transit tri pod and stool . easy to carry .
now if someone wants to extend the invitation to try one of those nice benches out ...... :chin:
so keep the inspirations coming in .
thanks ever so much , dan
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Doobie,

My wife bought me the R.A.S.S. (made by RCBS) last year for Christmas and the carrying bag this year. They don't look like much but I've used these in the field and they're pretty good, albeit a bit spendy. It has complete horizontal and vertical controls so there is no need for bags, rifle rests or anything like that. Its pretty comfortable but the one draw back is the accessories are kinda pricey. Like most heavy rigs, its not very portable but it essentially breaks down into 2 major components.

HTH,
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

There is a great new tool out there called the jawhorse. It's a three legged sawhorse with a vice built in. Folds up for portability. Looks like a shooting table top could be clamped into the vice and the 3 legged design would work good for shooting. Seems quite stable. Best part is hang the bench top on the garage wall and use the tool for lots of home projects all year long. Price is $179.

Jim, how about that RASS with no table top. I'm not sure I could get used to that, but if I sold off my 8 Harris bipods I could afford the RASS. I suppose a table top could be fashioned to fit some how. Do you really like that rifle holding system?
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Hotshot wrote:There is a great new tool out there called the jawhorse. It's a three legged sawhorse with a vice built in. Folds up for portability. Looks like a shooting table top could be clamped into the vice and the 3 legged design would work good for shooting. Seems quite stable. Best part is hang the bench top on the garage wall and use the tool for lots of home projects all year long. Price is $179.

Jim, how about that RASS with no table top. I'm not sure I could get used to that, but if I sold off my 8 Harris bipods I could afford the RASS. I suppose a table top could be fashioned to fit some how. Do you really like that rifle holding system?
I'm right handed and it took some geting used to for the right arm. The left hand is under the rifle on a shock asorber looking device that controls the elevation. Its heavy and sturdy and for the daily in/out of the rig it basically breaks down into 2 main parts. I've not tried it on tilted terrain but the legs do extend different lengths. As far as accessories, I'll probably add the larger tray to put things on. The chair, umbrella, scope mount and beverage holder probably won't be purchased. All in all, I like it a lot better than the folding chair, bag and table.

Jim
atavuss
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mkll

Post by atavuss »

I also have a RCBS RASS bench. it is bulky and heavy and takes some time to set up but once it is set up and leveled what a great bench! I can tilt 20 degrees up and down and swivel 360 degrees. I started taking small 12x12 pieces of plywood to set up under each adjustable foot pad so it won't dig into the ground. I also got the umbrella that attaches to the seat, don't think it will work well when it is windy as it will probably move the bench too much. I also upgraded the seat, very comfortable. I spent from sunup to sundown on it one day. I also got the scope mount, it mounts a spotting scope right next to the rifle and you adjust the scope so that whatever you are looking at with the spotting scope your rifle is at the same spot, makes it easier to spot targets with the wider field of view the spotting scope offers compared to the rifle scope when it is cranked up.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=388894
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I use whats called the 360 deg sharp shooter bench by inventive technology
I picked it up from Cabelas when I was down in Lacey Washington two summers ago.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0039899228149a.shtml
The bench is super solid and rotates smoothly for a full 360 deg. It's no BR pivot but does work very well in the field. The local ma & pa shop out here (P&D's) http://www.p-d-ent.com/ carry the new version of Ricks BR Pivot which is now manufactured by Caldwell. I still may have to get one of those as well.
Here is another link to Inventive technologies
http://www.inventivetechnology.com/
Savage Vaporizer
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi Doobie, Google www.idleback.co.uk They make a lightweight folding seat. Don't know whether it would suit your needs, but no harm in looking. Regards, Ken. :D
' Pay it forward buddy '