Long range prairie dogs with the 204

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Long range prairie dogs with the 204

Post by Hotshot »

I continue this subject with a shooting report.

I met a very nice young man at the rifle range a few days ago and we fell into a discussion of this same subject, resulting in a challenge being issued.

Turns out this shooter I met has a Model 700 Remington in 308 that he has used in various competitions quite successfully. Most recently a first place in a 600 yard match.

We went out to the Grasslands where he had a 600 yard range measured. It took me 6 or 8 shots to get a 600 yard zero and he dialed his scope right to zero for his rifle. We both shot 10 shots on paper. There was very little wind, but he doped it perfectly and put all 10 shots in a nice round 6 inch group. My group was a little off center but less than 3 inches vertical and 10 1/2 inches horizontal. Advantage 308, but he was very surprised that the 204 hung in that well. I adjusted my scope to center my zero and the challenge continued.

With my Leica range finder we picked out various white rocks, dirt clumps, etc. at ranges from 400 to 700 yards. These targets were at ranges of 468, 523, 671 you get the idea. We no longer were shooting an exact pre-determined range, but rather picking random targets at random ranges. Of 10 such targets I shot them all with my 204. Seven times were first shot hits, two were second shot, and at 698 I hit the rock with my fourth shot. The 308 shooter tried all 10 targets with only one first shot hit, a few third or fourth shot hits and he never did hit some of them including the 698 rock.

My new friend is now shopping for a 204!

Is this spectacular evidence? Probably not. When we shot at a 600 yard target we were playing his game. When we picked out various rocks we were playing my game, I've been a prairie dog shooter for over 40 years. I just think this adds to my point. 204 Ruger is an amazing off the shelf varmint cartridge.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Hotshot-Thanks for the story! I haven't had anyone yet that's shot my gun, that hasn't said they have to get one. The first sales pitch is the lack of recoil. Accuracy is a close second.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Way to go!! This is why no-one can have just one gun in this little cal.........Sweet all the way to 600 yards.
Thanks for sharing the story.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"