need some help

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Michigan hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 cal. 204

Re: need some help

Post by Michigan hunter »

is there a specific howl or brand of howl that sounds best? because i will probaby buy one today or tommarow
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

It won't matter what distress call you use, coyotes don't identify certain animals by the distress sound, they hear something in distress that sounds good, so they come. I might also start out with a non-threatening howl or two then go into distress. The bipod my hunting partner and I use is the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot bibod, it hooks on and off of a stud and it can swivel, I think it is probably the best choice for a coyote bipod. Stick with a 3-9 on a calling rifle. As to howlers, you can buy a custom one,wood, antler or horn, not cheap plastic, for about the same price as a mass produced call, plus it looks nice and it is one of a kind. If you need any recommendations on custom calls you can PM me, but I dont' know a lot about factory calls.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Michigan hunter

yea i am probably going to buy a factory call because i cant get a custom one yet and i dont wanna blow the rest of my money just on a call i need to still buy shells but i will probably end up getting a custom one in a year or two. how much do custom calls run and what kinda of factory call works best?
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Customs can run from about $15 to $50 depending on what it is made out of. Most will probably be around 20-25 dollars. Check out http://www.predatormastersforums.com and go to the forum and under the section of Custom Calls will be some you can look at. I used to use the primos Lil' dog and that worked good for both howls and distress, but thats the only factory call I have experiance with.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Michigan hunter

yea i have been there but ill take a look at custom calls thank you for the info i was lookin at the primos lil' dog and i like it but havent had the chance to acctually hold and look at the same time. but thank you again
iceboxdan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage fv 12 d-tech ar 204

Post by iceboxdan »

m h
i hunt over dead deer and cows . we just watch them the coyotes will come. if we know the coyotes are around we will call them too . we just use distress sounds like woodpecker or rabbit. where do you live here in mihigan. i live up by the mackinaw bridge. i also make calls out of deer and elk horn . if you pm me your address i will send you one of my calls for free.
icebox
Michigan hunter

it is a bennifit that we are able to hunt over carcasses or a gut pile in michigan but i will be asking farmers around my house to hunt their feilds any suggestions on what i should do hunting in the open i figured that i will be hunting the feildline any suggestions?
20-250ai

Post by 20-250ai »

Hi MH

You have a very good call(ki-yi) and you might want to get good with it to mix up the stand ie While the the e caller is doing a habbit squal you can throw in a ki-yi or two.

I would suggest going to a place that is illegal to hunt ( without a rifle!) in some camo and see how you do with the call. FYI if you sound like a dog or puppy getting stepped on your making the right sound.

Also, I would suggest getting a video like Randy Andersons "Calling All Coyotes I,II" to get a good feel for the sound you want to make and the way to set-up your stands.

Some other pointers would be to break up your outline in brush or some other cover. Try to find witch way the wind is going and use the crosswind or I hind that facing in to the wind with your back to a cliff, river or some other inpassable terrene is a plus. Use baby powder or corn starch in a shaker for wind derection if needed.

If your hunting with someone, one of you should face the down wind side.

Things you will want or need!
1. A good pair of shooting stix
2. A howler (practic with it in a park like the Ki-Yi)
3. A pair of binoculers. ( alway glass the area before running in to make a stand)
4. A camera as we all want to see the fruits of your labber!

Good luck!........20-250ai
Michigan hunter

yes thank you i have been practicing with it....but not in a illegal huniting area..lol there isnt one within miles and miles of me other than in the city....i like the idea tho. my call does sound like a dog getting stepped on but i still have to work on it..i was wondering if you guys would use a camo peice of fabric or just a camo outfit i have watched a few vid's on coyote hunting and they use a big peice of camo fabric just to cover them up along with their camo outfit? (i am a very avid deer hunter so i have both) i also got a cd on it and i got one that came with the ki-yi and that just show's how to call and what it should sound like but it is very informational....i will be watching the wind with a baby powder.....i was also looking at scopes today for the future and i looked at a very cheap barovski? (i think thats how it is spelled) it is a 6X24X42 it isnt too clear but it is a nice looking scope for a very cheap price but i am going to stick with the leupold 3x9 for now for alittle while..does anybody have a good idea on rangefinders because me and the dad are looking for a cheap but good rangefinder? so if anyone has any experience with a good rangfinder i am looking for one up to $200

thank you all
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

You won't need a range finder with the 204 it shoots far enough to get them as far as you can see them. Get out there and give it a try. You can think this thing to death. Its not an exact science. Some times its easy and some times you have to wait. Work the call the best you can. Coyotes have defferent voices just like people. Give it your best try and don't give up you will get one.
Michigan hunter

yea i know what you mean but i am getting a range finder to see exactly how far i am shooting because i cant count out 200 yrds with my eyes...so i figured i would get one just to see exact distance i am not worried about how far the .204 can reach because i have seen pic's on hear of coyotes that have been hit at 300+ and it doesent turn out pretty but i want to know exactly how far i am shooting before i go and judge distance by eye.

i am hopefully going to get out this weekend just in the back yard because i have my .204 sighted in at 100 yrds but i am hopefully going to get out tommarow and take a few shots at 100 and a few at 200 but i am not too worried that i will be off.

thank you RSA

michigan hunter
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Just make sure you use the RF as soon as you set down. Don't try to RF the coyote. Get landmarks before you make your 1st call. Coyote hunting is more like turkey hunting while you play the wind. Deer hunting allows a lot more movement than turkey or coyote hunting. Set still. Know your distances before you call. Look with your eyes instead turning your head. Watch down wind & try to let them come to you in their natural travel routes. They will feel more secure on familiar trails. HTH :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Michigan hunter

i can see what you mean about turky hunting and deer hunting..i was wondering aobut how much more sensitive coyotes are than deer to movement..also i was planning on using the RF the instant i sit down and does anybody have any idea on a good RF because right now i have none in mind that is cheap $200...and how can you tell a coyotes main travel route? is there a way to be able to?

thank you glen

michigan hunter
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

They like to run the path of least resistance. A Bobcat might come thru a briar patch but a coyote will go around it. I've found deer & coyote tracks on the same trail before. But this was on a major deer trail tho. They like to run fence rows & creek beds also. If you hunt in the woods they will come thru where it's the easiest for them to travel is all. Just don't expect them to cross the blacktop road & swim across a 20" creek thats running 4' deep.

A Bushnell RF is the way to go for right now $$ wise. Mine has been dependable out to 450yds on round bales & has worked at 625yds on a barn.

I missed IceboxDan's post here somehow. :wall: I've seen his calls & they are very nice calls. Talk to him!! :wink:

HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Michigan hunter

ok thank you glen for the info and also will coyotes use like man mad trails because we have a few outback in my yard but i could set up on on of them but was wondering if they would do that frequently. ok cool because i was looking at one at a gander mountain here and it is like 150$$ and i got to look at it i just have to get the dad to go up their and look at them..
thank you

Michigan hunter