Portable shooting benches

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
WHISTLEPIG

Re: Portable shooting benches

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Rick, Good for you. Hope all that work was worth it.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Rick in Oregon wrote:You'll all be glad to hear that there will very soon be a new version of my BR Pivot available from Midway USA. I sold my patent to them, and they are bringing out three models this month.

I no longer am producing the BRP, and you'll see full page ads in Varmint Hunter Magazine soon for the new benches. The good news is that they will be less expensive, so you won't have to cobble up something in your garage. :lol:
That's good to hear!

Now i won't feel bad once i'm done with my bench, that for some reason will look very simular to yours. I mean there's. I mean the one i thought up. :)

Now go retire! Those varmints i mean. :)
blkdog

Post by blkdog »

My neighbor builds a very good pivoting bench that stores in the back of a Toyota fourrunner.He sells them for $250.00. We have been using them for two years with very good results.They are solid and adjustable.PM me for more info.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

I have to agree that Rick's design is a real winner, regardless of who does the fabrication. I have had one for about 8 years and it still "sings."

However, there is an argument for the home fabricated version, like my hunting partner's seen here below! :D

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:You'll all be glad to hear that there will very soon be a new version of my BR Pivot available from Midway USA. I sold my patent to them, and they are bringing out three models this month.
Congratulations on the sale, Rick. Will the new benches be nearly identical to what you have produced, or will they be different?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

WP: "Yes", it was very well worth the effort..... ;)

Mike: They'll have three models; one made to compete with the knock-off 'Coyote Jake's' non-adjustable unit that will have only one adjustable leg, another 'mid-range' unit less expensive than my standard model, and a Lite model, faithful to my original design that will still sell for somewhat less than my original Lite. They also will all have bench top options. I'm told the top will be a bit larger than mine too.

I'll have one of the former models soon, and I'll be glad to evaluate and report my findings here when it arrives.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:I'll have one of the former models soon, and I'll be glad to evaluate and report my findings here when it arrives.
Thanks Rick, I would certainly appreciate feedback from the man that knows these benches better than anyone else.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Congradulations on your patent sale Rick. I love looking at all the different tables you guys have put to gather great things come out of the home work shop.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I wanted to bump this thread. Last night I saw a clip on TV (I think that it was Guns & Ammo TV) showing Caldwell's new pivoting shooting bench. It was a dead ringer for Rick's BR Pivot, so I assume it's the one Rick mentioned selling the patent to last year. Anyway, I've tried to find this bench on Midway's site and other web sites with no success.

Can anyone tell me when the bench will be available and what the cost will be?

EDIT: I called Midway to inquire about this bench. The rep that I spoke with told me that they didn't know when the bench would be available or how much it would cost. Grrr.

Who's got a BR Pivot collecting dust that they want to give away? :idea:
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: I talked to the guys at Battenfield over the weekend (email), and am told that they've had some delays, but expect to have benches ready for shipping sometime after the upcoming SHOT Show, early in Febuary. From what I gather, all three models should be shipping by mid-March.

I'll have the various benches here for field testing during our spring ground squirrel season, so will honestly report my findings, along with prices. Midway will also launch an ad program once they're actually available. One thing I'm certain (and hoping), they'll be a MUCH better alternative to the knock-off copies that are out there now..... guess we'll see. :chin:

There's fresh snow on the ground here today, but the countdown to Skippy has started. I can't wait for spring green-up out in the alfalfa fields! I suppose I could always go out and ambush some unlucky coyote....... :?

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the info, Rick! I am looking forward to your review in the coming months.

Initially, I was interested in the RCBS R.A.S.S. bench as well. Then I saw that it wasn't available with a table top. I don't understand why RCBS made that decision, but that made it a deal-breaker for me. That's a shame, because the bench seems to get good reviews online.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: Funny you should mention the lack of top on the RCBS unit; many shooters contacted me about my bench just before I sold the patent, and all of them commented that the lack of a 'real' bench top was the deal-breaker for them too. It appears RCBS should reconsider an alternate top portion for their unit, as most guys I know want room for their ammo, rangefinder, binocs, etc. The RCBS unit is really lacking in that area.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Mike: Funny you should mention the lack of top on the RCBS unit; many shooters contacted me about my bench just before I sold the patent, and all of them commented that the lack of a 'real' bench top was the deal-breaker for them too. It appears RCBS should reconsider an alternate top portion for their unit, as most guys I know want room for their ammo, rangefinder, binocs, etc. The RCBS unit is really lacking in that area.
Rick: I can't figure out who was asleep at the wheel when RCBS brought out their bench. My initial reaction was to design a table top to retrofit onto the R.A.S.S. unit, because it seems that a lot of people would be interested. Upon further thought, I don't see this option being financially viable.

I'm looking forward to your review of the new benches from Midway. Have you heard what their price points will be yet?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: I see they have a real el cheapo bench available now, a spindly version of mine, in the "entry-level" price range. Someone here posted that they saw a replica of mine on Guns & Ammo TV that was listed at $600 or thereabouts.

I'll check with them today and see if they have any news and post my findings.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Mike: I see they have a real el cheapo bench available now, a spindly version of mine, in the "entry-level" price range. Someone here posted that they saw a replica of mine on Guns & Ammo TV that was listed at $600 or thereabouts.

I'll check with them today and see if they have any news and post my findings.
Rick: Thanks!