Hunting PDs in South Dakota (Pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Hunting PDs in South Dakota (Pics)

Post by Vartarg »

I made my first trip to South Dakota this week for prairie dogs. My hunting partner, Mitch, and I along with his cousin Tom from Las Vegas, hunted with Chris Peterson at Dakota Hunting Trips, about 11 miles west of White River. We signed up for three days of shooting, but the third day we woke up to thunder and lightning, and headed south.

Here's a view of the sun coming up over the hills, and of the cabin we stayed in.

The first day, Monday, we were at the same spot from 9am until about 5pm...and had steady shooting all day. I counted 130 pcs of brass, but may have lost a few. There were only a couple of shots under 100 yards, and most were out 200 yards plus, to a max of about 400. I'd made the "rookie" mistake of not bringing a range finder, but was able to use Mitch's periodically, since Tom had one also. I will NOT make that mistake again.

Since I was shooting a Cooper .17FB and my Rem700 in 20 VT along with my Ruger .204, it was really difficult connecting with the smaller cartridges, until I started using the range finder. The only shot I troubled to range that day was 260 yards with the 20VT. Tom was shooting a bolt 22-250 and .204, while Mitch was working them over with one of his 6.5 Grendels.

This is the field we shot in Monday, a pic of Mitchell shooting next to his truck, my Cooper set up on the bench, and a photo of the three of us: left to right Mitch, Tom and me. I had my hat off when it was taken, but believe me, I had a hat on pretty much all the time, and used plenty of sunscreen.

The second day started out overcast, cool and breezy and stayed that way all morning. When the sun came out around noon, things picked up a bit, and we shot several in the next hour or so. We moved to another field and killed a dozen or so, along with chasing a bunch of others back in their holes, until we quit about 5pm. The only kill I laser measured on Tuesday was one at 310 yards with my Ruger .204, shooting 32gr Nosler BT's over RL10X. It opened him up pretty good. As a matter of fact, I used the .204 almost exclusively this day, since all the shots were on the long side...at least for me.

The Ruger .204 where the 310 yard shot was taken:

Here's a pic of Tom shooting next to Mitch's truck, at the last place of the day.

Mitch walked up on a prairie rattle snake, and killed it with a "shot shell" shot from his 1911. It had 9 rattles and a button....not a huge snake by LA standards, but just as dangerous. Nest to him in the photo is Aaron, the guide who took us to the various spots.

I also stopped at the Cabelas store in Sidney NE on the way south....quite a place. I drove from SD down here to Santa Fe to visit our youngest daughter and family, and my wife had flown out a couple of days ago....

I'll post more photos, after receiving some taken by Mitch and Tom.

Thanks for looking! I learned at least TWO lessons: 1) take a range finder; 2) take more gun......next year I'll have my other .204 and my Savage 6BR with some 105gr AMax's......

George
Last edited by Vartarg on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Hunting PDs in South Dakota (Pics)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice, George! Looks to have been a dandy trip indeed. I like the elevated shooting position in the shot of the last day....nuthin' like shootin' down on 'em. ;)

I think you forgot the pic of the three of you, unless the other two are hiding in the back of Mitchell's truck....... :chin:

These trips sure are addictive....I see you're already planning rifles for the next time out; the anticipation is a full 1/3 of the fun. Thanks for the pics and sharing a neat adventure. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Vartarg

Post by Vartarg »

RIO: thanks.....you're right.....fixed it!

George
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Nice tale and pics.Thanks for posting.We always learn from previous trips,and others.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

No mattter where you are, sunrise's or sunset's like that, along with the shooting and good company is one or life's great pleasures. Thank you for sharing these moments of yours.. Bill K
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

When my son gets back for Ashcanistan, we are heading west!!!

Thanks for the great write-up and pics. Boy a day at the factory is easier to take when you get a break to check out something like this!!
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Hey, how did your buddy do with the Grendel? What is your impression of them?
Vartarg

Post by Vartarg »

Bowshot: He's got four of them.....and uses them for pretty much everything....go figure.

Here's a photo of Tom, who used one of Mitch's Grendels to kill this poor little critter at a lasered 506 yards.....120gr bullet.....

George

bow shot

Post by bow shot »

I'm really liking the Grendel so far. Its very 308-ish, but recoil is very mild, and mine is shooting factory ammo so well that I aven't been able to match it with handloads. My "let see what this can do with factory loads" test printed 0.8" @ 300 yards!

JP Enterprises barrel on that one.