Doubled with my new 6MM AI

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Doubled with my new 6MM AI

Post by ryutzy »

Well I finally got to kill some yoties with my new 6 Ackley. 2 evenings ago I heard a pair of yotes howling in a nearby woods. I decided as soon as I had time I'd go get after them. Well tonite I found an hr to go give it a shot. I had been wanting to shoot a coyote with my new 6 Ackley and I finally got a chance. I started by howling then went to distress calls. Nothing.....so I pulled out the Ki-Yi called and wailed away at some pup distress sounds. Seconds later here comes a coyote on the dead run. The next woodsline was exactly 400 yards away and I was hoping the coyote would just pop out and stop for a look because I wanted to shoot one a long ways out there. Well this coyote wouldn't stop....he came on the dead run and finally stopped at 128 yards. BOOM.....I could hear the LOUD thud and the yote flipped head over heels. I grabbed the Ki-Yi call again and wailed out some more coyote distress sounds. A second coyote appeared.....it started to circle with the wind, but the wind was in my favor and when he stopped I leveled him again with a loud satisfying thud. This coyote was also facing me when I shot and again it flipped directly head over heels. I ranged this one at 268 yards. I will do a writeup on this gun once I'm finished with all the load data. I've got it dialed in to 600 yards so far and all I can say is she is one fine shooting rifle. Tommy Shurley builds a fine rifle!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: Doubled with my new 6MM AI

Post by Vartarg »

Ryan: great photos and report! And good shooting!!

How about some more info on the rifle, scope, loads, etc.etc.?

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Sure can't argue with that kind of success!! She's a real looker & a fine shooter too!! Congratulations on the double!!!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Good work mate. Sounds like your very happy with the new toy.
Is that a camo fabric sleeve over the barrel, or camo paint?
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Nice way to break in a rifle! I am interested in your load and accuracy. I have a 6mmAI and have not got a good load for it yet after lots of development time.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That rig not only looks good, it appears she's big medicine on yotes too.

Good job, nice shootin'. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Slightly off-topic, but how you like those Trigger Sticks, ryutzy? I was gonna, uh, "pull-the-trigger" on a set, but wondered how the sound of them releasing might spook prey. Also, the tripod version didn't seem to let the legs spread far enough apart for stability.
BTW: I saw what could be one of your relatives in an article in the Cols. Dispatch a couple months ago (same name and the PC area); a firefighter if I remember correctly.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Ok here's a little more info on the gun but as mentioned I'll give a full report in the near future. 1:13 twist 27" kreiger barrel attached to a RBLP model B BAT action. Night force 8-32X56 scope with NPR 2 reticle. I'm shooting 75 grain vmax and the 80 Berger with great accuracy.

Rowdyyates---for mobile hunting situations the triggerstix are awesome. They are quiet - I have several sets but the bipod style are my favorite by far.
As for the Columbus Dispatch writeup that could have been me or a distant cousin not sure which article you are referring to. I work fulltime for Columbus fire, parttime for Washington Township Fire, and do some construction work.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable