Longest 204 chuck kill?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Re: Longest 204 chuck kill?

Post by chuckhunter »

My longest kill is 374yds with 32 sbk's on a woodchuck of course :D
flys low
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by flys low »

I just got my my 204 in a Ruger target with a Nikon 8x32x50 and I am so impresed so far with it. I hope this picture post works. http://m1076.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... 7.jpg.html
385 yards. (Self taught no Army)
And I thought every person that was in the Army was a sniper, they all tell me that.
leeloader
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Post by leeloader »

Mine is 312 yards on a wood chuck, but there a well known local shooter that teaches long range shooting and i watch him shot 1 at 502 and then secends later get one at 665 yards with 50 gr bergers out of a custom rem 700.
vanhammer
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21 MVT and CZ 527

Post by vanhammer »

Longest measured kill on a ground squirrel for me was 306 yards. Creased the top of his head so to speak. LOL.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Pmoper wrote:#1 Please do not call me "Sir"..I was a non-com in the Army and worked for a living...#2 as a former sniper I doubt a "few" of these claims...not ALL... If these are all true without a wee bit of exaggeration then we need to encourage some of these fine shooters to look toward the military to put their skills to work or better yet toward Camp Perry to represent the fine US Shooting Team....Yes, I am from NY...Upstate and we do get 300-400 yard shots at Chucks and even longer at coyotes which can more than test the skills of any marksman with the angles and cross winds you might encounter.....Not from Missouri...but like the show me motto.......
1. Been to Camp Perry.
2. Shot Highpower (Service) Rifle Competition for several years.
3. Earned the Presidents 100 (Rifle), Distinguished Marksman (Rifle), High Master Highpower Rifle Classification.
4. Set a NRA record with a M14 with taxpayer issued M852 ammunition.
5. US Navy Retired.

I'm not a trained sniper in any sense of the word but I have learned the basic fundamentals of marksmanship. Along the way, I've learned a few other skills like reading the wind, understanding the effects of light on open sights and so forth and so on. The point is; one doesn't have to be a "sniper" to be able to shoot well. Also, it would seem to me that hitting a man size target @ 800 yards would be a lot easier than a rock chuck at the same distance.

Shooting is only a part of the equation. The equipment and ammunition are the others. A good varmint gun in all likelihood is just as accurate as a good competition rifle. Getting the most accuracy out of ammunition almost always requires reloading and brass prep, plus, shooting varmints from a (good) bench takes a lot of other factors out of the picture. Just about everyone here is doing that. I would doubt very seriously, snipers (those employed by the state (aka..."The Government"), are doing that probably for liability reasons.

IMO, most of those competitors you have alluded too would do quite well shooting varmints. Shooting 500-1000 yards with an open-sight service rifle (M1, M14, M16) and trying to keep them all in the 10/X-ring is quite a challenge. Shooting 500 yards from a bench (sitting down) with a laser-like round, a accurate rifle, custom ammunition with decent optics pales in comparison, IMO.
mcsenna
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mk11 TV

Post by mcsenna »

I'm only new here but it seems to me there are a number of very accomplished chaps hereabouts who are prepared to share their knowledge and experience for which I am gratefull. Why anyone would want to challenge these guys is beyond me. Keep posting your stories fellas, I enjoy the reading.