need a little tougher bullet

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

need a little tougher bullet

Post by cshooter »

Hey guys, Did some varmint hunting last winter and had trouble getting reliable kills with the 39 BKS's. Out of a couple dozen racoons about half took two shots to to kill, ( at close range with a call). The bullet just blew up on the hyde or made a horrible surface wound. I've never had any problem with coyotes, cats,or other thin skinned varmints like this, but all of those were shot out to atleast 100 yrds. Maybe the bullet is moveing to fast at closer range - less than 50 yrds. If I used the 45 Hornady SP I got good penetration and instant death. Problem is the 45 Hornady Sp will sometimes hang up and not chamber reliably because of the flat nose. I've tried a couple different things to help them chamber better but still haveing trouble. A friend suggested trying the 35 gr Berger, but I'm afraid the hollow point would hang up like the Sp does, maybe not, I don't know.But I guess I'm wanting to know if the 40 gr V-max has any better inegrity than the BK. I know they funtion good in my rifle (Savage Preditor)........Sid
Boisblancboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VS SF II

Re: need a little tougher bullet

Post by Boisblancboy »

I can't vouch yet how well the 35 bergers do on a critter but them do seem like a tough bullet. Reason I say that is I was shooting a target tacked to a 2x6 board. The target was 200 yards out and they just made a clean hole through the board, small exit hole. Which told me it wasn't expanding a whole lot.
.204 Remington 700 VS SF II
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

if you are looking for a tougher 20 caliber bullet we have the solution. Give our 37 grain bullets a try. Here is the link to the info on our site: http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_016.htm

Please let us know if you have any questions, we are glad to help.

Thanks,
Brad
Custom Reloading Tools LLC
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Do you have any reloading data on your bullets ?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

for safety reasons we don't publish load data for the bullets. However we have had very good results with Ramshot Xterminator, IMR 8208XBR, Ramshot TAC, H4895, and Benchmark powders. Many of the members of this forum are using our bullets, i am sure some of them will chime in with a load recommendation.

Brad
cshooter wrote:Do you have any reloading data on your bullets ?
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

I procured a 204 ruger gun with ammo and shot beldens with the 35 grain berger bullets side by side with 32 grain Hornady z-max, and the bergers stayed in the 3 critters I recovered while the 32's blew up most of the squirrels I planted.

I unfortunately forgot to break out the 34 hp noslers, sold as Midway and Midsouth bullets to compare them , but have seen graphic pistures the 34 hp's send their targets into orbit.

Allen
K22

Post by K22 »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:for safety reasons we don't publish load data for the bullets. However we have had very good results with Ramshot Xterminator, IMR 8208XBR, Ramshot TAC, H4895, and Benchmark powders. Many of the members of this forum are using our bullets, i am sure some of them will chime in with a load recommendation.

Brad
cshooter wrote:Do you have any reloading data on your bullets ?

27.4 gr. of IMR8208XBR behind the CRT 37gr. and a Rem 7 1/2 primer gives me these results.

H4895 is another excellent choice in my 204's.