Why aren't my woodchucks exploding?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
2002silverex
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

Why aren't my woodchucks exploding?

Post by 2002silverex »

Went on my first hunt yesterday with my new 204. Shot 5 crows and 5 chucks. Missed one crow at 295 yards. The crows were all shot between 100-150 yards. The 5 chucks that I did hit were 190-230 yards.
The crows were a mess almost completely split in half. The woodchucks on the other hand died instantly but had no "blow apart" effect.
My fathers 22-250 splits chucks in half... My 204'yesterday left a small bullet hole and 3 out of the 5 had no exit hole.
Was shooting federals with the 39gr sbk.
I am very pleased with the accuracy and lethality but kind of bummed on the no explosion.

It is the bullet? The distance? Both? Watching al the YouTube vids and looking at your pics I was expecting more of an explosion?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Why aren't my woodchucks exploding?

Post by Glen »

The 204 explodes them on the inside rather well. I've not gotten the explosive results you are looking for either except on the head shots. We've had a good success rate on those shots for the "awe" factor. We also use the 39gr BK's.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
redmister
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Model 10

Post by redmister »

I love the 39-gr SBK for both the accuracy it enables in my rifle and its ballistic coefficient. If you are looking for explosive exit wounds on chucks, my experience suggests that you will be disappointed. However, the internal energy transfer is extensive as confirmed by picking up the furry jelly bag.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

silverex: Like the other posters mentioned, we don't get either the splat factor or launches on chucks that is possible with either PD's or ground squirrels using the 39/40gr. However, just for the sake of comparison, here's a shot of a rock chuck smacked at 226 yards using a 32gr Nosler BT out of my Cooper M38 VR in .20 VarTarg (3,715 fps):

Mind you, this 20VT is going about 300 fps SLOWER than if the same bullet was fired from a 204 Ruger. Here's another one shot with the same rifle the same day, a much smaller chuck this time shot low amidship off a rock pile at extended range and hit in the boiler room. He launched about a foot off the top of the pile, and landed where you see him, about a foot below and two feet back from where he was hit:

Yeah, I know.....pretty graphic effects, eh? :wink: You may want to consider using one of the 32gr bullets in your 204 if you want the splat factor, as the additional speed will provide the terminal effects you appear to be seeking. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

2002silverex

Post by 2002silverex »

Rick! That is exactly what im looking for! I hope i dont come across as a sicko, but if i shoot something id like to see the damage. It just isnt that much fun killing a chuck, walk up to it and it just looks like a sleeping chuck. No blood, no damage...no nothing. Kind of boring.

Still Fun to hit something at that distance, but much more fun I would expect to walk up to an explosion such as your second pic in the rocks!

Im just waiting for my 204 die to arrive so I can start reloading. Right now Facotry ammo in the 32 grain doesnt group that well, where as the 39gr sbk in federal premium factory ammo is grouping about .75" for me... very impressive for factory ammo.

Ill try 32gr v-max AND 32 sbk when i start reloading...hoping to get good groups so I can start exploding chucks like you!

Thanks for the reply.

Tyler
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Tyler-- Are you shooting groundhogs Eastern style or Rockchucks Western style? The Groundhogs are thicked skinned here in the East even tho they are basically both Marmots. I have seen many many groundhogs shot here in Ohio with 22LR up thru the 270 & there are more not blown apart than does get blown apart. I've blown the offside of a young chuck head off with a 22LR on a complete broadside headshot with a the CCI QuikShoks at 20yds before. Opened a few of them up with 32gr .204V-Max as well. Just keep shooting & trying different POI's & enjoy the Freedom of what you are doing today as it may not be there tomorrow. Have fun & shoot safely!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

A 204 wont explode an adult groundhog. If u hit it perfectly you may be able to get some gore, but it's too big and tough to get a big exit most of the time. I've shot them with a 243 and a 75 gr vmax and have already not gotten an exit. The243 will usually Blow a big hole and sometimes cut them in half, but our groundhogs tend to be very large here. The 204 does a great job killing them though just too small of a bullet with not enough kinetic energy to blow up the big ones.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I probably should have been more clear....."no", the 204 Ruger will not blow up large rock chucks either, just turns their innards into jello. The 32gr will do a nice job on anchoring most chucks, and will blow up the smaller ones as shown above.

This large 16 lb. rock chuck was smacked with a 50gr BT from my Sako Vixen walkabout rifle in 223 Rem....no blowup at all, just all juicy and swishy inside when moved. (The 77/22 Mag in the photo was new that outing, did not take the chuck with it).

As noted, energy transfer is what gets the launch factor going....fast bullet with decent weight will get the job done. Here's some more rock chucks, all taken with my Sako Vixen 223 and 50gr BT....no blowups, just DRT:

If you want to launch critters or blow them up, then you'll need smaller chucks or go on either a prairie dog or ground squirrel foray....THEN you'll really get those launches and blowups you're after. (Or use a Swift or 243....... ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

2002silverex

Post by 2002silverex »

Im hunting them here in Vermont. Id say they are 5-10 pounds. It seems this year they are very fat. My dad hand loads his 22-250. 55gr bullet traveling 3995fps. Him and I hunted this weekend. Even his bullets werent exploding them, and usually when he shoots chucks with that gun/load it basically splits them right in half.

Ive got a .243 that ive got sighted in with 58 grain superformance.... maybe ill give that a try :-) Its not nearly as accurate as my .204 is though.
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by Inrut24/7 »

Head shots can be explosive with 39 blitzkings. I do some groundhog hunting with a 260 with 95 grn v-max and 123grn a-max's those can get messy.
2002silverex

Post by 2002silverex »

The crows that I shot with the 39sbk were ugly. half of there body missing. Must be the woodchuck has a pretty strong coat on it.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Although it's been awhile since I've shot that bullet in my .204s, the Hornady 40 gr. V-Maxes seemed to add more "splat" to the (Eastern) groundhog shooting experience...
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I know you're asking about the .204 but back in about 1966, before the .204 was ever thought of, I shot 'chucks in the Reno, Nev. area. Used 63 gr. sierra hollow points in a .22/.250 and it did a real good job of chunking them up. When you shot one you could literally see a read mist and pieces flying.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Yup. My .204 takes chunks out of rockchucks/marmots, but my son uses a 6mm Rem and it often just rips 'em up real bad.

Exit wound, .204 Ruger & 35 gr Berger hollow point:
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Headshots my friend! You'll get the explosive factor PLUS the challenge of taking only headshots.

I hit one last year right on the nose with the .204 using 39 SBK's and took its head clean off!