Thompson/Center Venture Predator Bolt Action Rifle .204 Ruge

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
tractorman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS SF

Re: Thompson/Center Venture Predator Bolt Action Rifle .204

Post by tractorman »

Well picked up the gun tonight really like the way it looks. Got everything torqued down and got to swab it out a little and going to sight in, in the morning. I just hope it stabilizes the 40's. My Rem has a hard time with them.
mmw1015
.204 Ruger Guns: h&r ultra varmit w/ fluted barrel

Post by mmw1015 »

Sorry, I meant a difference in accuracy between rifles using the 5 land and the 6 land rifling.
Mack
tractorman

Post by tractorman »

Well guys it seems it is a 1-10 twist according to my cleaning rod. So I shall see how it does????
mmw1015

Post by mmw1015 »

sniper74 wrote:
mmw1015 wrote:Their statement about the 5 was that the edges of the rifling were not as sharp as the 6 so it did not damage the bullets as bad which resulted in better accuracy.
Just wondering if anyone has this rifle and has seen a difference accuracy?
Mack
What do you mean by difference in accuracy? As I said earlier, I have had the Venture Predator 204 since November and it has shot great! With 32 gr Vmax and 28 grains of Varget, I shoot about .5 to .75 of an inch at 100 yards. That is good enough for me. Other people I know that have had a 204 got really good accuracy as well, one had a Remington and the other had a CZ. Not sure which is more accurate, every gun seems to be different and like different bullets.
I can just about guarantee you that you will love the TC. What are you planning to shoot out of it?
I shoot about .5 to .75 of an inch at 100 yards. That is good enough for me.
I would not be happy with .5 maybe I was spoiled with my 22-250 it would shoot .25
Mack
sniper74
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 T/C Venture Predator

Post by sniper74 »

I am sure I could get better groups with it, but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of different powders and bullets, etc. I did that with my last gun and it was a pain. I look at my uncle who has 17 different powders in his collection and I don't want that! I like Varget powder, it is great for all we reload. It shoots clean and accurate. My groups are great and I have no problem shooting coyotes and I am doing very minimal damage to them. You are right though, once you get spoiled with a great shooting gun, it is hard to go to something less! If you are willing to do some experimenting, I am sure you will have no problem getting the holes to touch. The 1-10 twist seems to like the bigger bullets better than guns with 1-12. I have had great accuracy with both sizes of bullets. You won't be sorry you got one!!
tractorman

Post by tractorman »

So far so good with the T/C. Took it out yesterday morn at first light and got it sighted in. About 28F degrees and little round holes with the 40gr. Vmaxes. Looks like the MOA accuracy is going to hold true. Going to have to adjust the trigger but I think I am going to like the 10 twist. Points good, light, handles well I think it is going to be good hunting and truck gun.
mmw1015

Post by mmw1015 »

Well I got my new rifle today. It is a Savage 25 Varminter w/ a laminated thumbhole stock 24" bull barrel
1 to 12 twist

If any of you own this rifle let me know what you like or dislike about it. Also in reloading for it, what does your's like
to shoot?
Mack