Got Invited to P Dog Hunt: Question

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Paul
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ MGM barrel

Got Invited to P Dog Hunt: Question

Post by Paul »

This is my first and I'm looking forward to going. I'm wanting to take my 204 to see how she does, what is the affective range for using the 40 gr bullet? Any other input, what to take and how much ammo I need to take? I do not know all the details of Where or how long, just that we plan on leaving after Bonnaroo, in Manchester, TN. Give me all the info that you can.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: Got Invited to P Dog Hunt: Question

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I was shooting 600 yards at prairie dogs last summer. You do not get the red mist effect that far out. We normally shoot them out to 400 yards without a problem. You need a good solid shooting bench or at least I do. It is hard to say how many rounds you should take as it really varies in number by area and weather. Better to bring home unfired ammo than watch your buddies have all the fun while you are playing cheerleader. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Paul, you're in for a real treat with your first prairie dog hunt. When you get more specific details about your trip, post them up and people can offer more direct insights.

As a general rule, I bring a minimum of 300 rounds per rifle per day of fun in the field. I would highly recommend bringing more than one rifle, because you'll be one very unhappy camper if something goes wrong and you're stuck on the sidelines watching all of the action. I'll rattle off a quick list off the top of my head for gear, and I'm sure that others will fill in what I miss/forget.

Rifles
Ammo
Solid shooting bench/table & chair
Adjustable front rest & rear bag
Binoculars
Cleaning gear
Range finder (very helpful, but not mandatory)
Camera
Hearing & eye protection
Sunscreen
Canopy for shade
Towels (you can put cool towels on your barrels to help keep them cool)
Cooler with food/beverages
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Good list Mike. You will want to take more than one rifle because you do not want to shoot your rifle with a hot barrel so that you do not reduce the barrel life faster. A 17 HMR is effective on shorter ranges and you do not have to reload them! We usually clear out the area that we want to set the BR Pivot bench up in with the 17 HMR and the closer shots. You may want to consider a pistol if there are snakes in the area. You are in for a great and expensive experience. You will get hooked and feel the need for more small caliber rifles to play with: 17 Fireball, 20 VarTarg, 221 Fireball, more 204s, 222, 223, etc. just to name a few addictions. Mike made a good point in taking a back up rifle in case one goes south on you or you forget to put your bolt back into the rifle after the last minute clean patch! I don't know anyone that would do that..... a second time. :mad:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

Work up some reloads for your 204 rifle that will group five shots within 1/2 inch at 100 Yds. A 6-18 X AO scope will let you see the prairie dogs pups at better than 300 yards. An accurate 17 HMR rimfire rifle with a 4-14 X AO scope will get you a lot of shooting within 160 yards. I live in prairie dog country. This spring when the pups first come out I ll use a 17 HM2, 17 HMR, and 17 fireball rifle but most of my shots will be with the rimfire rifles. When the dumb ones are shot off I drop the rimfire and add a 221 Fireball and 204 Ruger rifles. I find that to enjoy prairie dog shoot I need a accurate rifle with a top qulity scope and plenty of hand loaded ammo.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

+1 ON mikes list
Small medical kit with pain killers and such. Sun and wind can put a hurtn on you.
Paul
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ MGM barrel

Post by Paul »

Thanks all for the replies. We are going somewhere near Miles City, MT.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Can I come, LOL!!!! Man am I jealous!!! HAve a great time, bro.!