RIO, Question

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

RIO, Question

Post by Lenard »

Since you brought up the K hornet using 30 gr. Barnes bullets. Would you care to expound on the results you have gotten with them accuracy wise? Just curious, as my CZ Hornet is so accurate with 40 Vmax bullets at 3000 fps. Interested in the gain in velocity you found.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: RIO, Question

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lenard: I've only put my 30gr VG loads on paper in fireform loads so far. My chrono took a dump while I was last testing fireformed cases, and as I just got the replacement unit recently, I'll be doing some further testing, but the velocity is in the 3,400+ range in fireformed K-Hornet cases and 13.0 grs of Lil Gun. It is effective on chucks out around 200 yds from what I can tell so far, and on squirrels around the 275 yard mark.

This target shows they have promise in these 16-twist guns, and as the bullet was designed specifically for the Hornet, it figures. The flyer is me getting the scope dialed for the load. This was my fireform load using the 30gr Varmint Grenade:

In the field, they show great expansion on ground squirrel sized targets.....this rat was shot at around 175 yards:

And on rock chucks too.....this one was taken locally at about 175 yds peeking through a rock opening:

Here's a comparison showing the 204 Ruger (32gr BT loaded to factory OL), 22K-Hornet 45gr Nosler Hornet, and the 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenade in a standard Hornet case ready for fireforming:

You may want to try them in your CZ, as they've worked great in both my Browning Low Wall K-Hornet, and my Kimber K-Hornet, both on paper and on hair in terms of both accuracy and terminal performance. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: RIO, Question

Post by Lenard »

Thanks Rick. My chrono burped also even though I haven't replaced it. An increase in velocity would be of some help out to 200 yards. Just might give the Barnes 30 gr.