Skippy is up!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Re: Skippy is up!

Post by terrace »

"Monterey County?"

no I am on the border of San Luis Obisbo and Santa Barbara counties
what do you use to get those exploding squirrel pictures
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Lenard wrote: I'm hoping there will be some jacks to shoot this summer as we have had some major shoots on them around the alfalfa fields. One weekend a couple years ago, we shot over 225 jacks in the daylight.
Our rabbit population has sucked the last 3 or 4 years. They are beginning to make a come back though. 2 years ago we shot about 50 in an afternoon down around the pivot in the winter and we couldn't find ANY for the next few months with in a mile of their house. You may have a better spot lined out. Even Catlow had low rabbit populations the last few years.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

terrace wrote:what do you use to get those exploding squirrel pictures
Terrace: Nothing fancy, really. I use a Nikon DX-40 Digital SLR with a 55-200mm zoom lens for the flying rat pics, with the cameras motor drive set on 3.5 frames/second.

Typical launched rat with pic taken as described:

But the REAL Master of Flying Rats, is Gube here on the forum. His wife is a pro photographer, and has equipment geared to her station; the exploding/flying rats he posts are the best on the forum, maybe the net.

All my rat ammo is loaded and boxed, rifles all scrubbed clean, fresh charge on the camera batts.....is it spring yet?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lenard wrote:Rick, So at the request of the rancher, are you going to go over early this year?
Lenard: Sorry, late answer.

I'm trying to balance their request to come early, against shooting too many females too early in the year. The ranchers want them killed, but I/we want to leave good seed for future shoots. It's a delicate compromise, believe me, and I deal with it every year.

I'll probably start on the rats around the third week of March or thereabouts. Mid-April is when I'll get my yearly "chuck call" from the two local ladies that have property that I control their chuck numbers on. I used my 22 K-Hornet with the new Barnes 30gr Varmint Grenade last year, thinkin' about either my 17 Mach IV or 20 Vartarg this year for the chucks. It's a small ranch area, so noise is to be considered. Decisions, decisions...... :chin:

Sounds like you've got it dialed in K-Falls. A good rat or chuck place to shoot yearly is to be cherished any more at this point in time. Good for you. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Hot Dog! My trigger finger is getting itchy! :lol: Few more months and Skippy will be taking flying lessons. :eek: Gary
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I've been itchin, myself. The wind has been really blowin where I'm at. supposed to lay down today and tomorrow. But I have a dr.'s appointment tomorrow. :wall: Maybe Friday if the weather holds. I am ready for a lot shootin, just need to get my 223 ready.
On my way out to take care of that right now.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Rick: I try to be pretty careful with our rockchucks but Skippy? It's so hard to impact the plague of ground squirrels with a rifle that it's like using a shovel on a lava flow. The first ones to show are the big (relatively) males so they don't have much impact anyway. But, I guess its all relative. They don't get shot daily by any means. Rockchucks on the other hand can take a pretty quick beating. We try to only shoot a spot every other year to ensure an on-going supply. Good luck out there. It won't be long now! :D

Tim
No-off-season
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tim: You're right of course, concerning Skippy. I've just been shooting him and his pals for so long, I'm just a bit skittish about too much thinning too early, as shooting Skippy is my all-time favorite thing to do (well, you know.....). Sometimes if I get out too early, I have self-imposed guilt about shooting my seed rats.

I realize that in the Grand Scheme of Things, our rats are in no danger of being shot out, but still...........the thought scares me. Without our buddy Skippy, and a safe full of HB varmint rifles, they'd all turn into just "target rifles", and what fun would that be? ;)

Tick-tock.......almost time to rock! :eek: I'll stop in and see you guys when I'm over your way soon. Until then, keep the Rat Reports coming. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

The ground squirrels have been up here in sw Idaho for a couple weeks. I went out last friday and shot a few with my .204. Got a badger too.
tt35

Post by tt35 »

Yep. We're getting closer. Look forward to seing you, Rick.
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

I did finally get out on friday, I had a purdy good day. It was cold as heck, and the cold north wind was blowin about 10-15 mph. Stayed in my down jacket all day long and had to wear my jersey gloves most of the time. My hands can't take the cold anymore. :huh: Went thru close to a hundred 204's. Just used the 39gr sbk's, because of wind. most shots were between 150 and 350yds, although I did take a few out past 350. As per my CRS, I forgot my camera. :wall:
SORRY!!!
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
tt35

Post by tt35 »

futuretrades wrote: As per my CRS, I forgot my camera. :wall:
Yeah, wow. Can i use your wall too?!! Just teasing! The wx can get pretty tough this time of year. Not for the weak of heart... Glad you got out to warm up the .204.

Tim Titus
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Gear and Hunts

Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com

futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

tt35 wrote:As per my CRS, I forgot my camera. :wall:
tt35, I did get out on Friday 4/1/11, and I did remember to take the camera. Working on getting some pics up in a different post.
tt35

Post by tt35 »

Furtures: Yeah, we're getting a few nice days here and there but it's been pretty slow coming! Looking forward to the pics when you get them up!
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com