remington 700 vtr .204

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
ifldned
.204 Ruger Guns: none

remington 700 vtr .204

Post by ifldned »

Any experience with the Remington VTR 700 in .204 would be very much appreciated. Kinds of groups with production ammo and hand loaded ammo etc. etc.
ifldned
ifldned
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: remington 700 vtr .204

Post by ifldned »

I'm waiting for replies on this firearm. It seems nobody likes Remington name brand anymore. This tells me a great deal. I might have to look more closely at Tikka, Howa, and Savage. Ifldned
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Gosh, been having so much fun shooting my new Coopers I almost forgot I also have a couple of good-shooting Remingtons. Can't help you much on the VTR, but for my $ I'd go down to my local Cabela's and look at one of their SPSS Varmints. These are special-run stainless actions, jeweled bolts and matte SS barrels: a notch better quality than the blued SPS's, also the same (relatively) decent Tupperware stock as the VTR. I'd shorten the 26" barrel if desired and have an arguably beter gun for the money (under $600 now with rebate) unless one really sees the need for triangle barrel or a muzzle brake on a .204. Mine in .22-250 shoots under 3/4" with factory ammo and a light touch on the so-far unadjusted X-Pro. My .204 LVSF, although no longer made, is also a sweetie, esp. after trigger work. Will ride the c/l of a target with almost any ammo, although there is some vertical stringing as can be expected as the light, fluted barrel heats/cools. Has a B&C stock, pillar-bedded, and a tad better fit and finish than most 700's - have heard that they were too expensive to produce; some leftovers are around at decent prices.
If you go with another brand, don't forget to look at C-Z!
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have been around 204s with muzzle brakes, way too loud and no real difference in recoil, on the smaller calibers. I would look at the Savage, Tikka, CZ and Howa, in that order. I have 2 Savage 204s and they both shot great right out of the box, did not have to do anything to them except feed them.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

Not a thing wrong with Remingtons, my favorite. I think there as good as any, better than some. I have a vtr in .204 and I love it. It shoots sub moa with factory or reloads. I've shot Hornady, Nosler and Rem. bullets can't really tell a lot of difference in accuracy between them. I've got some 39 gr. Sierra's loaded but haven't tried them yet. Haven't killed anything with it but ground squirrel and it mystifies them, turns them into flying squirrels. Hope to get a coyote or two with it this winter. Maybe some rockchucks in the spring.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have the LVSF and it shoots tight. I did change the trigger out to a Timney. Its chamber is tighter than my Rugers. The new Rugers have tighter chambers than the MKIIs. That would be the Hawkeyes. The Savage intreage me they have great accuracy and the accutrigger is great. The 204 is a great round for varmints. Flat shooting no recoil. Get a rifle and a powerful scope and get to work.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

you could still find the LVSF for sale on gunbroker.com. The price was not bad. There is also a heavy barrel version if you are doing a lot of shooting at one time.