2010 Nebraska Trip

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

2010 Nebraska Trip

Post by Melvin Eades »

Wed. morning, 6/2, my nephew Clint (Clint E here on the board) and I headed out at 6:00 a.m. to Nebraska to shoot prairie dogs with our good friend Dave (dancindave here on the board). We arrived at Grand Island around 3:00 p.m. to take a tour of the Hornady plant. They have added on since I was there last year and they said they are planning on adding on again. We were disappointed in our tour guide; he didn’t tell us much about what we were seeing so we just started stopping and talking to the employees as we came across them.

We left there and drove to Dave’s mom’s house where we would be staying and meet up with Dave. We had a nice visit with Dave’s mom and then took her out for supper while we waited for Dave to arrive.

The first day out (6/3) was rather windy but we still made some good shots. We started about 8:30 and stayed out till 5:00 or so. Dave’s brother, Pat, and his daughter, Lillian, joined us for some shooting also. The pasture was greener than I’ve ever seen it before. Dave said they had been getting quite a bit of rain and it looked it. There also were fewer dogs than last year too.

Here is Pat and his daughter lining up on a p.d.

Here's Clint with one of his p.d.'s

Here's a p.d. I shot at 613 yards and it wasn't a first, second....well you know...shot. The wind was blowing so hard, the rim of my hat was either bent down in my face or standing straight up. Clint and I were both shooting our Savage M12FV's in 22-250 this day.

Here are a few dogs we hit that wanted to show off and show us some acrobats.

The second day shooting, Dave’s friend, Len, joined us for a fun filled day. With all the joking and poking fun at each other, time flew by but we had a beautiful sunny day with highs in the low 80’s and a mild breeze. I got to know Len last year when he came out and shot with us and was hoping he would be able to join us again this year.

I was feeling real good about myself shooting a dog at 657 yards with my CZ Varmint in .204 with 39 gr. Sierra's then Dave brings out his AR in .223 and shot a dog off of the same mound. And then to top that off, Clint got on Dave's AR and shot a dog off of a mound next to this one. I didn't even get ten minutes of fame on this one.

Clint lining up on a dog with Dave's AR.

Here's what it looked like looking back toward where we were shooting from. We were in front of the white truck right of the shed with the open door.

Taking a mid day break and eating a sandwich.

Len, Dave and Clint looking for dogs.

Two dogs for the price of one shot.

The third day we had a storm come through about 4:00 am but we went ahead and got to our spot for the day around 7:30. The sky started to clear with a mild breeze, but picked up through the day to make for some very windy conditions. I think I heard someone say wind gust up to 40 mph. Here are a few more pictures.

Here's a couple I poked back in their hole with 39 grain S.B.K.

Clint and his CZ 527 Varmint in .204.

Clint and Dave on 360 hill.

The rest are brought to you in part(s).

I'm sure I have probably forgotten something, but Dave or Clint will be along to fill in the parts I missed.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 2010 Nebraska Trip

Post by Clint E »

Dont know who was having more fun Melvin or Dave
Dave on 360 hill.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Great stuff, just AWESOME!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Great stuff +1
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Glad you all had such a great time!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

:lol: Great stuff, just AWESOME! I'LL 3rd IT too!! Pics write up. Looks like everyone's having a great time..............except the P.Dogs they have some parts missng.
Thanks for sharing.
later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ah yes, there's nothing like a great rat shoot, and it appears you had a grand one! Thanks for sharing the fun with the story and pics.....good stuff! :D

Popping dogs from their mounds at 657 yards is no casual task.......good shootin' guys! :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

657 yards! :eek: You're my hero! :lol: Great post! :D Gary
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Ok now that everyone has got to read the story and enjoy the pics i will put my 2 cents in.

This was my first PD Shoot and every one told me that i would love it.
Well i thought the PD Shooting was AWSOME i cant wait to go again. I never thought i would have so much fun shooting a rifle and being in open country like that.Maybe next time i go i can come home with nothing but empty brass. Even now that i am back home i keep catching myself looking in feilds for pds when driving down the road.
I want to thank every one for letting me join in on the shoot and trip.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Clint, we of the E.O.R.F.S. say it's the most fun you can have with your cloths on! :lol: Gary