Wild Time w/Skippy and 204's

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
majcl5

Re: Wild Time w/Skippy and 204's

Post by majcl5 »

800 w/ a .22 I may have to whip out my BS card. I also hear a lot of tall tales from rat shooters. I can never keep count its more fun to just shoot and explode rat after rat after rat.
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

RIO--Thanks for another great report. I sure didn't like the looks of that SNOW!!! We had enough of that stuff up here in North DaColder to last until December 2010. I'm itching to get out after prairie dogs again, but the wind and rain have put a "damper" on those plans until maybe the middle of next week.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SF: I think all here will agree that this "spring" has been a winter to remember. 2010 so far has really given the "weather-guessers" a real time of it. I've never had 2"+ of snow on my truck in the field in late May during a rat shoot! :shock:

Once you get out in between weather events, we'll be looking forward to some prairie dog action from your corner....'tis the time of year for burnt powder in the air, flying rodents, nice rifles, and lots of smiles and laughs (and fun posts). Time again to warm up that 17 Tactical? :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

Rick,What is the velocity of your handpacked snowball?? Wondering if you had built a "drop-chart" for that and determined an effective range yet!!!! Wow, that looks a little different than we were having in Iowa at the time. Nice pics, I'm glad you're a camera guy.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

remy: I actually chronographed that load in the field while I was shooting and zero'ing the scope. Average velocity of my 32gr SBK load over 26.5grs/RL10X is 4,035 fps, measured 12' from the muzzle.

As far as effective range, dunno just yet, as the wind did not permit shooting much beyond 350 yards during that outing. I've used my Sako 204 shooting 32's to register first shot hits on ground squirrels to 468 yards, the farthest I've shot the 32's so far, so effective range is whatever the wind and local conditions will allow. I'd imagine over 450 yards, my 11 twist shooting either 39 SBK's or the Nosler 40 will be the hot ticket.

Glad you liked the pics......it was a varmint shooting trip to remember, if even just for the freaky weather we encountered. :? Gettin' ready for another event coming up.....our much anticipated Annual Rat Rodeo held in N. California every year. 3,500 acres of rolling hills planted in alfalfa, infested with Skippy and his pals. I'm loading up those empty cases shot last week right now....... :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hueys66
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 VLS

Post by hueys66 »

Rick: No snow angel pics? Looks like you picked up some decent weather for the trip though, to send a few flyin.
Blend in or go hungry
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

huey: Nope, we weren't too keen on any snow games in 40+ mph winds. Heck, after winter here on the high desert at 3,600' elevation, we're ready for spring!

When we get snow-bound or 'weathered-in', we take all our frustrations out on Skippy when the skies clear though....... :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

hueys66 wrote:Heck, after winter here on the high desert at 3,600' elevation, we're ready for spring!

When we get snow-bound or 'weathered-in', we take all our frustrations out on Skippy when the skies clear though....... :lol:
Ya, I know I can appreciate that sentiment. we been going thru the same thing down here in N Kalifornia at 3500 feet elevation! I finally got most of my garden planted this past weekend. I really wanted to to go out and take some frustration out on skippy, but this garden thing was really bugging me. I haven't fired a shot in over a month! :wall: because its either been raining or snowing or the wind has been blowin most every day for a month! And the weather report is still calling for more winter! :muffy: :rant:

Sorry for the rant but I am getting soooo blue :cry:

Thanks for your posts Rick. As always, very much appreciated!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.