Chucky meets Berger

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Guy M

Chucky meets Berger

Post by Guy M »

And it was a very satisfying meeting - at least for me! Had a little time between rain-showers this afternoon and a few chucks came out to play. The ones I blasted up in the rocks were difficult to get to, but this one was lower, down in the grass. His mistake!

First rock chuck I've zapped since switching to the 35 gr Berger @ 3910 fps instead of my old load of 40 gr V-Max bullets at 3800+ fps. Results aren't quite as dramatic, but still very final. Accuracy is excellent.

Regards, Guy
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Chucky meets Berger

Post by Ray P »

:lol: Guy....Way to go. I've shot the 35's on paper nice groups. Never taken game with them?? I always went heaver 40 Beger or the 39 Sierra. The 40 Berger did # on one chuck at 125y, hit him facing me under his chin and came the base of his scull. The one I got with the 39 Sierra was a tad closer and hit him mid chest and exited the back like and ice pick.........go figure.
35 Berger is the lightest bullet I've shot since I've gotten my 204's. I got new box of factory Hornady 32's and never tried them always wanted the little heaver bullet to buck the wind.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your load combo.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Wtg aparently chucky didnt like the 35 berger diet. Is that cz a varmint or an american
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Guy, that rock chuck is defective! It's got a hole where a hole shouldn't be...... :lol:

Now it's a "good" rock chuck! Glad you were able to get out, what with all this crap-o-la weather we've been having here in the PNW. Nice shootin' too. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Thems my favorite kind of varmints!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks guys - it was fun wedging a little varmint shoot in between rain squalls rushing through!

The rifle is the 527 Varmint - a good "walking varminter" I think. Fairly light but the barrel is heavier than a standard sporter rifle. Found I really like the set trigger, although I understand the standard pull can be adjusted very nicely too. Good little rifle.

I blasted a few more, but they were up in the rockslide, and I refuse to try crawling around out there to get a photo of 'em. Have climbed my way through it, but... the rocks move, the slope is steep, really steep, and no - it's not worth the risk!

On the 35 Bergers:

They're very accurate.
They don't explode the target as well as a 40 gr V-Max.
They don't have the relatively high BC of the 40 gr V-Max either.

I do like 'em though!

Regards, Guy
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

I thought it was a varminter i just bought one a few months ago .trying to decide what my next 204 will be. Maybe a cooper or ruger