Realistic rounds per hour count

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.

Rounds per hour count

Let the barrel glow!
5%
No votes
No votes
5%
28%
23%
38%

Total votes: 39

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Realistic rounds per hour count

Post by Silverfox »

I voted for 20 shots maximum per hour because that's about my rate of fire, and many times I fire quite a number less that that. I walk around in the prairie dog towns I shoot in and have the sun beating down on me and my rifle unless I can find some shade (and that is rare out on the North Dakota prairie). I have found that when the hot sun is beating down on my barrels, they get so hot from just the sun that you sometimes can't keep your finger on them for fear of getting burned. If the day is actually only 70 degrees out and I have my mirage shield on my barrel (which keeps the direct sunlight off the barrel) I might be able to shoot the full 20 rounds per hour. Also, If I were sitting under a big umbrella that would keep the sun off my barrel, I could shoot more rounds too.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

When it comes to high volume pd shooting I got unlimited shooting just about any time I want...weather permitting. Since I am in no hurry and take a more leisurely approach to it than someone who may have traveled many miles my number may seem slow. In fact when I take a new shooter out I don't shoot but a couple of dozen or so in an hour.

In my personal experience keeping a sustained shooting rate of 60/hr is far more difficult than it would first seem...regardless of the number of rifles one chooses to take.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Man, I haven't had varmint shooting like that in a long time...

But I was a weapons platoon leader in the Corps, with six M-60 machineguns... :D We burned out some barrels...

Rockchuck hunting, sometimes I'll get five or six shots per hour - not often.