Finally got a break in the weather

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Finally got a break in the weather

Post by futuretrades »

Got up a little bit late on Sunday, after a few beers with my neighbor, saturday night. :doh: Just ready to fix some breakfast around 9:30 am, looked out the window and low and behold, the wind had quit and the sun was shining bright. So in a frantic, I started getting my stuff ready to take a trip to the killin fields. Needed gas before I left, so had to stop for gas and a gut bomb before I hit the road somewhere around 10 am. By the time I got to my spot, cows were all over where I wanted to set up under some juniper trees for some shade, it was after 11:30. I was a little pissed at myself for getting up late, and the cows hanging around the trees but I set up anyway, about 100yds to the left of where I had intended setting up. In no time at all, skippy was out and about playing in the field. When I first started shooting, I didn't realize that THE BABIES WERE OUT EN MASS!!!!!!. I even got a couple of 2 fers, You know 2 with one shot! Some of the best shooting I have had in some time :lol: I took both my Howa 204 and my Weatherby Vangard in 223. Barrels getting hot way too soon. I checked in the bed of my pickup for my towel. All I could find was 1 of my old shirts, so I watered it down and placed on the barrel to keep shooting a little longer while the other rifle was cooling in the shade of the truck. OH, and I did remember to take my camera this time!
Heres some pics of the carnage and the country side where I will be shooting again as soon as the weather allows. as I am writing this, the weather is going back into its nasty state. But, at least, I got 1 really fun day! :mrgreen: I created 110, 204 empties and 100, 223 empties

The first 2 fer

Here's another 2 fer

Looking due East from my position. The corner posts on the right side of the picture is 212 yards. Lots of targets after the cows were moved away by one of th cowboys on the ranch

Looking North east

Was up until midnight last night, cleaning rifles and processing my 204 brass. the 223 brass was some of my experimenting with annealing. Was a little afraid to load again, so these were junked. And I don't have a shortage of 223 brass. :D
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Finally got a break in the weather

Post by Glen »

You still had a purdy good day afield I'd say!! Thanks for sharing!! :wink: Heck I spent the day waiting for my truck to come out of the shop on opening day of Spring Turkey here in Ohio. :(
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Thats awsome . Yet i have never got the chance to have a meet with skippy Yet but im getting excited just reading about them.Oh and the pics.
Thanks for sharing
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Sounds like you have had a decent beginning of the season.

I got out for the first time this past weekend, was hot sunny and calm. Our ground squirrels are not yet out en-mass, mainly just the males out getting ready for mating season. As it were I got to test out my newly acquired Marlin 17 HMR.

Over the friday and saturday shoot I had a decent harvest of about 90-100, 24 taken with the .204. I found that the 17 HRM is a nice step up from the .22 but when I seen my first victim to the .204 after a winter punching paper there is nothing like it. :twisted:

Can hardly wait till I have enough target to set up my table and worry about the barrel getting hot.

Thanks for sharing
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Kevin, jolly good show old boy, jolly good indeed! :lol: Like you, I scored a couple of two'fers on my last trip. On our next trip the babys should be thick as fleas on a hounds back! Glad to hear the weather was on your side for once. Keep up the good work. Gary
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

Well done...cute little buggers.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
Here is a couple more pics of what is causing my lament about the weather. I took these around 7:30 AM this morning. In total we have about 10 inches of fresh snow on the ground! :mad:

We had snow on good friday and again on Easter Sunday, and yesterday it rained really hard most of the day. When it wasn't snowing or raining the wind has been blowin like crazy
Its supposed to be a lot warmer and clear on Friday, so I will be heading back out to my spot in the killing fields. I can hear skippy calling my name. :evil: :evil:
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Kevin, that crazy weather could make a man want to go out a kill small rodents! :eek: Hope it warms up soon. Gary
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Captqc wrote:Kevin, that crazy weather could make a man want to go out a kill small rodents! :eek: Hope it warms up soon. Gary
Hey Gary, the weather cooperated again on Friday. So I just had to get out again. Temps got up to 70 degrees, and little or no wind until around 1:30 PM. Shooting was constant and kept barrels hot. Again had to use the wet towel for some extra cooling. While my 2 CF's were cooling, I had to resort to shooting my new CZ452 in 17HMR. Even had to cool the barrel on that one too! :eek: Good problem to have :wink:

I did take some pics, if anyone is interested.