PD Hunters

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: PD Hunters

Post by Clint E »

Mike we had a lot of fun .wife had never been to that bass pro she liked it a lot more than the one in st louis. We had a had fun playing luner golf at the mall also that place is huge .Just wish we had a catalog outlet like you do.
Remy im already planning on going on one of these shoots .It cant be any more addicting than any thing else i hunt . Wife already says she is a hunters widow.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

hunt4em wrote:Mike we had a lot of fun .wife had never been to that bass pro she liked it a lot more than the one in st louis. We had a had fun playing luner golf at the mall also that place is huge .Just wish we had a catalog outlet like you do.
Glad you enjoyed the visit. Careful what you wish for, though. BP is a very neat place to visit, but can be an extremely frustrating place for sportsmen to shop. I have a whole lot of stories about bad shopping experiences and lousy customer service. To be fair, I've had some decent experiences as well.
hunt4em wrote:Remy im already planning on going on one of these shoots .It cant be any more addicting than any thing else i hunt . Wife already says she is a hunters widow.
I've hunted quite a few game species and can say that prairie dogs are easily the most addictive for me. The fun factor is off the charts!
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

How I do it from beginning to end.

Call/email my sister and tell her I am on my way...give a date and time.

Load ammo, check out guns, decide what all to take.

Load truck, drive to farm.

Shake hands and chat for a few minutes, unload most of truck.

Drive to the big pasture and throw out shooting table and chair.

Shoot til I'm either late for dinner or its too dark to see.

Put stuff back in truck and go back to farm house.

Repeat until I am either late coming home or I run out of ammo.

Thank everyone, shake hands, go home, type up story on forums.

Make plans to go back in a couple of weeks.

The end.

PS if the weather does not lend itself to good shooting I spend the time on re-con duty finding new spots and securing permission for those.

One more PS.....you don't hunt prairie dogs. You will know where they are before hand. You shoot prairie dogs, there is no hunting involved.

Just went this last weekend and busted up a couple hundred...plus one very unfortunate pocket gopher who appeared to be a prairie dog until after a well placed shot confirmed he was not.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

One more PS.....you don't hunt prairie dogs. You will know where they are before hand. You shoot prairie dogs, there is no hunting involved
I think you are about the second person to tell me this .
Until i started talking to people and reading on here i never realy thought pd shooting could be fun. I always planed on going west to hunt elk or mule deer but plan on trying pd shooting first.

Again i thank everyone for the info hunt4em.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Personally I don't think there is any one thing you can do with a rifle and ammo that is more fun. Hunting is great and I love it but the shooting part of it is pretty short lived in the grand scheme of things.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Another thing to consider: When you go elk hunting, you know full well that in a week of hunting, you may not even see an elk. PD shooting on the other hand is guaranteed to yield trigger time, usually lots of it.

If you like to shoot, then PD shooting is for you! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Another thing to consider: When you go elk hunting, you know full well that in a week of hunting, you may not even see an elk. PD shooting on the other hand is guaranteed to yield trigger time, usually lots of it.

If you like to shoot, then PD shooting is for you! :D
+1.... And the reactive targets make it even more fun...

And PD shooting is the correct term. You hunt other animals...

-BCB
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Nice to see we are in agreement on the shoot versus hunt.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

BCB on one of your trips north to WY PM or contact me and I'll find you a place to bust a few on the way.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Steve:

I just saw your post and I want to thank you for the invite. It's much appreciated.

I have a couple of trips to the Panhandle planned for the next six weeks or so, and I really haven't put a lot of thought into Wyo yet.

One restraint for me this year is July.... Our oldest son and his wife are expecting our first grandson ~ July 15th, so I will be staying fairly close to home both before and probably after - actually I will probably be in Austin where they live for awhile after the baby comes.

As we get the rest of the summer figured out (actually when I find out when my wife wants to go to Wyo :lol: ), I will get back with ya'.... And thanks again..!!

Take care.... -BCB
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

I understand completely...my first grandchild is just now 18 months. Little guy doesn't know yet but I have him hooked up with firearms.

No prob.....the dogs are always there. Just let me know when you can be Hal.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Grand kiddos are a joy....! We have two granddaughters; 2 1/2 and 9 months. This will be the first boy....

I actually bought a Savage Stevens 22LR single shot a year or so ago and refinished the stock and worked over the trigger so it is smooth. It will be for mine to learn on. The 2 1/2 already has her own back pack with a CamelBak hydration pack, camo pants, little bitty camo boonie hat, and hiking boots. Her daddy is a real outdoors type, so I don't think she stands a chance of being a full-fledged girly-girl....at least until she discovers boys... :wink:

Thanks again.... I'll be in touch...

Hal