longest kill to date for new rig!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
adam

longest kill to date for new rig!

Post by adam »

376yds with 39bk's. Longest kill so far with the new gun. :D
285yds with 39bk's.
Our squirrels dont seem to explode like yours do in the states!!!!
Perhaps we should try and introduce somr prairie dogs over here in the U.K :lol: :lol:
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Re: longest kill to date for new rig!

Post by ultralightshooter »

Nice shooting, What kind of gun is it?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Those are tough squirrels! :eek: We could capture a bunch of sage rats (ground squirrels) and send them over. Just don't open the box in the Customs house! :lol: Gary
adam

Post by adam »

ultralightshooter wrote:Nice shooting, What kind of gun is it?
26" Krieger barrel
Jewel trigger
Stiller predator action with 5 round detachable mag
Bell and Carlson thumb hook stock
bedded and free floated and cut for a moderator
nightforce 5.5-22x56 npr2
adam

Post by adam »

Thats a better pic. Cant seem to post anything bigger than that sorry folks :wall:
adam

Post by adam »

Captqc wrote:Those are tough squirrels! :eek: We could capture a bunch of sage rats (ground squirrels) and send them over. Just don't open the box in the Customs house! :lol: Gary
They are seriously strong and muscle bound. Roid boys of the rodent world me thinks :lol: :lol:
I havent shot one at around the 100yrd mark yet so who knows they may still be prone to some air borne antics!!!
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Adam, I noticed the silencer on your rifle, are they required by law? On this side of the pond we have to pay the Federal government a $200 tax to own one. :wall: Some states don't even allow silencer ownership! :huh: It's kind of stupid that we require mufflers on our cars, lawn mowers, etc but it's a pain to get one for a gun! Go Figure! :duh: Gary
adam

Post by adam »

Captqc wrote:Adam, I noticed the silencer on your rifle, are they required by law? On this side of the pond we have to pay the Federal government a $200 tax to own one. :wall: Some states don't even allow silencer ownership! :huh: It's kind of stupid that we require mufflers on our cars, lawn mowers, etc but it's a pain to get one for a gun! Go Figure! :duh: Gary
They are not required by law. However shooting in the U.K is still seen as a bit antisocial and also alot of shooting is done at night whilst lamping foxes. The noise reduction helps to keep the locals happy and also I don't need to wear ear protection. Some businesses such as the forestry commission use them when culling deer and vermin as it is a health and safety requirement.
The dull thing is that you can purchase any gun you like over the counter in the states but over here you have to apply for the particular calibre you want and prove to the police why you require it, which makes a multigun ownership in the U.K very difficult unless you are a registered firearms dealer! I love guns and I would love to own several other calibres other than my .204 and .17HMR but I can't justify it in the eye's of the law. I would like to have a .308 but to get it I would have to prove that I shoot deer and have land on which they exist or for target/competition use only.
That's my rant over with!!! :lol:
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Anti-social! :lol: I love it! Well so be it then, that's what I'll be because I love to shoot! Some day you'll have to take your holiday over here and try several different calibers. :idea: Gary
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

First off nice shooting.
Second i feel sorry for you not being to by what ever cal. you want. just when we think we got it bad some one brings us back into reality.
Thanks for sharing
adam

Post by adam »

Captqc wrote:Anti-social! :lol: I love it! Well so be it then, that's what I'll be because I love to shoot! Some day you'll have to take your holiday over here and try several different calibers. :idea: Gary
Don't tempt me. I may never go home, especially if I try my hand at some prairie dog shooting!!! I would love to try it though.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

376 yards?? I didn't think it was that far from Land's End to John O'Groats!! :wink:

Seriously, that is a killer shot, no pun intended. I have acquaintances who are fanatical -- and quite proficient -- crow hunters and I don't think any of them can boast of a shot further than 350 yards. That is truly impressive.

The US is infested with European starlings because some jackass released them in NYC's Central Park in 1890/91 to lend authenticity to an outdoor Shakespearean theater. We'll be happy to return the favor and infest the UK with P-Dogs. Heck, it's been too long since I roamed London's West End of an evening so I might be persuaded to smuggle a few over for you (in return for a couple of choice theater tickets).

The $200 we pay on suppressors is a "tax." It was implemented in 1934 as the part of the same National Firearms Act that put fully-automatic weapons under federal regulation. Before that, you could buy them at the local hardware store or from a Sears and Roebuck catalog. Congress didn't think they had the power to outlaw them but, as they say, the power to tax is the power to destroy, and 1934 was during the Great Depression. They thought $200 was so exorbitant, few if anyone would pay it. But $200 isn't so dear in 2010 (yet) as it was in 1934, so we at least can count ourselves fortunate they've never managed to increase the tax.
adam

Post by adam »

I'm Sure I can arrange a few theatre tickets. Send those dogs over :lol: :lol:

I also shot a crow at 377yds a couple years ago with my then Ruger m77 mk2 stainless laminate. That was with factory remington 40grains!!!

Me and my shooting buddy have got a bit of friendly competition on at the moment, who can be first to cross the 400yrd barrier with a shot on a crow. He has got bloody close at 394yds with his .22PPC :eek: !!!!

I got to get there first or I will never live it down!!!