Back from the 09 Rat Rodeo - Part I (Pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Back from the 09 Rat Rodeo - Part I (Pics)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, the 2009 ground squirrel season is about over, and as usual, ours always ends up at a friends 3,500 acre aflalfa ranch in northern California. A gang of us who've know each other for years gathers yearly at the ranch to seriously thin out the zillions of ground squirrels that plague the ranch, so our 204's, 223's, 17HMR's, and other pet calibers get dragged out of the safe and put to work on the rats each year.

This is a shot of the Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society's setup on an elevated firing position overlooking a vast alfalfa pivot and pastures below (rock chucks in those rocks behind us too) :

My new Cooper in 223 Rem overlooking prime squirrel habitat from under my shade canopy (it was 96* in the shade!):

Dan, or Rat Force One to you guys, giving the "grin" associated with a good hit and launch at extended range (there's a name for that grin, but this has gotta stay nice for the young-un's):

You all have seen Kevin, or Curly's posts here under "futuretrades"......here the gentleman is in action, drawing a bead on Skippy way down the hill using his Howa 204 and the "wet towel" barrel cooling routine (did I mention it was HOT?!):

We shot in a number of locations, but returned to "The Hill" more often than not, as this late in the season here, most of the squirrels have "gone to sleep" as the locals say, meaning they go down when the hot weather hits, go to sleep until next spring. There was still a good active amount of rats to keep all our rifles hot, just not the copious number we usually encounter earlier in the year. Long periods of rain prevented the usual early cutting of the alfalfa this year, hence our late Rat Rodeo.

The crew on "The Hill" having our way with Skippy and his pals:

One of our California rat shooting buddies dinks around in the Sierra's looking for gold. He found this nice nugget in a tailings pile, left by the miners long ago. He buys nice rifles and optics using money from his dinking about....not bad, nice rifles and scopes for free:

My girls, Rose & Lucy were the Star Attraction to the bovines in back of our camp:

Gary (Captqc) and his son Dan (Rat Force One) striking the colors one evening in camp:

Our rancher buddy lets us take trailers, campers, tents or whatever, and even has added full RV hookups at the ranch so we squirrels shooters have all the comforts. It's great to shoot all day, return to the "CP" and relax with a cool one, surrounded by other like-minded shooters, and brag (lie) about those long shots you pulled off that day.

On Saturday evening every year we have a great BBQ, and the rancher usually slaughters a steer, and BBQ prime rib is the order of the day. It beats fried ground squirrel every time! :lol:

If you're not bored by now, check out Part II for more.......
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Back from the 09 Rat Rodeo - Part I (Pics)

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:If you're not bored by now, check out Part II for more.......
Bored isn't the right word, Rick. Jealous is more like it. :D

Glad you all had a great time!
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Bored isn't the right word, Rick. Jealous is more like it. Had to 2nd it!
Now you have to start loading for next year............haha
Later and glade you had a safe trip.
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

YES IT WAS HOT!!!!! :shrug:
Hotter than a popcorn fart! :wall:

but what else could we do, so we enjoyed the shooting that we got and as for myself I had a great time. got together with some old friends and met some new friends. and I finally got to meet RIO! and i got away from home and the same old thing for 4 days! very relaxing and satisfying.

now I have some empty brass to reload. I even found some powder for my 223.
Already looking forward to next years squirrel season, and another "RAT RODEO"
Thanks for sharing, Rick
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rick, you forgot to mention that those fool cows tripped over our tent rope and then woke us up mooing about it! I sure had a good time though! :D Gary
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Ray P wrote:Bored isn't the right word, Rick. Jealous is more like it. Had to 2nd it!
Now you have to start loading for next year............haha
Later and glade you had a safe trip.
Ray P
I'll have to 3rd that!

Sounds like a great time RIO and I personally NEVER get bored with the pics and stories associated with this forum! :wtg:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

To all,

Thanks for all the pictures from the trips you folks made this year. Like others have said, I never get bored with the pictures, stories and knowledge thats shared here.

Jim
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks for the kind comments. We'll keep posting as long as you keep liking.

To me, it's always interesting to see how guys in different parts of our country get along in regard to their varmint shooting/hunting. We're truly blessed with great surroundings and choices in ordanance. I'm also glad we've got others here that post their adventures...much more interesting than just reading stories in a magazine.

Sitting behind an accurate varmint rifle in the shade, casually sniping ground squirrels or PD's may seem mundane to some, but it's a virtual exilir to me. I think we're living in what will soon be called "The Golden Era of Varmint Shooting". It may not ever get better than it is now.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Excellent story Rick, great pics too. Here in CO we are working on an annual get together out on the farm for like minded shooters. Our target of choice is the black tailed pd ....I like the RV hook up deal.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skb: Yep, we're pretty excited about the new RV hookups too. Talk about an ideal setup. I'm wondering now how long I could stay at the ranch in my trailer having fun with Skippy and his pals, and not get wifey TOO upset......

When you folks have your gathering, be sure to post it here. We all love reading about the adventures of others, and pics just add to the overall enjoyment. Gatherings like this are about at the top of the Fun List for varmint shooters. :wink:

If you're not burned out by now, there's more pics and story in Part II (but you may want to avoid some of the banter later in that post though....) Thanks for the positive comments.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

No big outting get together this weekend but I am heading out with a friend to bust off a few.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Rick--Wow, you guys sure go all out to do your bit to feed those Oregon raptors. I'm sure they appreciate your efforts. Thanks for the great report and fine photos. Like you mentioned, it is very interesting to see the different setups and parts of the country our Board members use and shoot in.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Silverfox wrote:Rick--Wow, you guys sure go all out to do your bit to feed those Oregon raptors. I'm sure they appreciate your efforts. Thanks for the great report and fine photos. Like you mentioned, it is very interesting to see the different setups and parts of the country our Board members use and shoot in.
There are some differences in set ups and how we do things......the outcome for pds is pretty much the same LOL.

Here where I go the biggest pasture is maybe 3500 acres with absolutely no trees and only slight rolling hills. We could shoot for miles if we care to.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel