Prairie Poodling pics (frame by frame) *Very Graphic*

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Re: Prairie Poodling pics (frame by frame) *Very Graphic*

Post by Gube »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Gube, what was the average distance from the camera, and what lens were you using? Inquiring minds want to know....... :chin:
Average distance was about 200 yds. The fenceline in the background was 265 yds away.
Camera is a Nikon D-300. Lens is the Nikon AF-S (70 - 200 mm) VR Zoom-Nikkor F/2.8 IF-ED
A "doubler" was also used with it. The TC-20E11 AFS Teleconverter which allows you to effectively double the amount of your zoom lens. You sacrifice a bit of clarity with the doubler but it's not to bad when the camera is mounted on a sturdy tripod.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gube: I wondered, as I'm also using a Nikon digital (D40X) and Nikkor 70-200mm lens. Looks like I need to fetch a doubler, as the price of a Nikon 400mm lens is as much as a new Cooper! (or more...)

Glad to see your daughter, son an daughter's BF got in on the action; great to see the young ones picking up our interests (I was going to say 'sport', but not sure if this qualifies :lol: )

Great shots to be sure.....this post will get alot of traffic I predict..... again, nice work! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Gube, you are the man! :D That was a great bunch of pics! I love it!!! You either have to start a northern chapter of the E.O.R.F.S. or be designated as an honorary member like Futuretrades (Kevin) is. You be one of us for sure! Gary
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Gube
Don't know how you get such good action shots, but I loved every one of them. You are the man. absolutely awsome! :eek:
As for the 200mm lense with a doubler, the quality of your photography, is absolutely amazing.
I have used a doubler with my old film cameras. To get enough light, I had to use 1600 fuji film. The graininess was unacceptable for me. Thanks to technology in digital photography, we have better choices.
Thanks for sharing
P.S Love them pants your daughter is wearing. :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Nice! :wtg:
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

fandidallytastic pictures that is all i have to say!!!
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Great pictures. I would like to know what it takes to get pictures like that? Good looking kids. Alberta looks great also.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Oh my....Post of the year candidate???

WOW!!!
Gube

Post by Gube »

Thanks for the reply's guys. I think the clarity and action of the photos has a lot to do with the D-300 in itself. It will do 6 frames per second and at 12 megapixels, after the shot, I can zoom it in crop and edit within the camera and still maintain its sharpness and clarity.
Savage Vaporizer
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Gube,

Thanks for the show and glad to see the kids involved. Regarding the pictures the camera is very capable it also appears the archer (the one shooting the camera) is also quite talented.

My brother has a Nikon D300 and while its pricey, it is very capable. It seems awfully tough to beat a Nikon or a Canon for a DSLR platform. I'm looking at getting one for my wife for Christmas, just haven't decided which one I want to get, she favors Canon's, me I can take either one.

Thanks again for the show!

Jim
long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Post by long range dogr »

Great pics! Thank you for sharing.
MT204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom ar15

Post by MT204 »

If I might ask what brand of shooting table?
Thanks
Gube

Post by Gube »

MT204 wrote:If I might ask what brand of shooting table?
Thanks
I picked it up from Cabelas when I dropped down to lacey Washington last summer.
It's no BR Pivot but basically works on the same principal. Rock solid and rotates a full 360 deg.
Here's the cabela's link.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Here is another link to the company that makes them.
http://www.inventivetechnology.com/gallery1b.htm

The only negative thing I can say about the bench is that the top is a bit short, but that can be modified fairly easily. The major objective which I find so appealing is that it's super rock solid and easily rotates fully in order to quickly get lined up on "skippy".
Savage Vaporizer
Gube

Post by Gube »

Jim White wrote:Gube,

Thanks for the show and glad to see the kids involved. Regarding the pictures the camera is very capable it also appears the archer (the one shooting the camera) is also quite talented.

My brother has a Nikon D300 and while its pricey, it is very capable. It seems awfully tough to beat a Nikon or a Canon for a DSLR platform. I'm looking at getting one for my wife for Christmas, just haven't decided which one I want to get, she favors Canon's, me I can take either one.

Thanks again for the show!

Jim
Yes I do believe the D-300 gives me the ability for the clarity. When the pic is taken at full zoom and observed in the "view finder", skippy looks like a tiny little spec. I can then take the camera and on the view finder screen, I can hi-light the little spec and keep zooming it in to the point of what you see what I have posted while still maintaining the clarity.
Savage Vaporizer
Gube

Post by Gube »

Took my youngest boy out on Friday to the same field. It was a very good day of "misting".
No pics this time with the Nikon. I did take some pics (small digital) of what some people may think of as "odd". The owner of the land is an old German sheep farmer, and a super nice fella. He has a constant battle with yotes, ravens, crows, and magpies with his sheep herd.
The yotes he shoots are placed on fence posts in a row where they are most likely to cross and is done to discourage other yotes from entering his farm. Over the years I have heard "mixed reviews" on whether or not this actually works to keep yotes away.
Anyway, I took some pics of his display. He had about 20 posts adorned with yotes.

Here's a couple of "close ups"

This last time out, the ole farmer decided to take a break from his chores and walked out to the pasture to see how we were doing. To say the least, I pretty much have the farmer convinced he needs a 204 for control of his varmint problems. He spent two hours with us and before we left his wife insisted we take home a "care package" of home made perogies to take home. He has another field that the sheep are on, which has a very nice population of the little "grass maggots". The sheep should be moved sometime this week, which means more fun and games to come.
Last edited by Gube on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savage Vaporizer