Recent Montana trip....

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Keith in Ga

Recent Montana trip....

Post by Keith in Ga »

produced some fine shooting and pretty good weather (not considering wind). The pd population may have been down a bit, but we still found enough targets to keep us busy.
Course we had the before........
And after........

A great reason to LOOK before you exit the vehicle, and where you step.......
This guy was lying in the shade of our vehicle, about 3-4' from the drivers door. I happened to spot him while taking pics.
We saw several antelope this trip, and for the first time, saw one jump over a fence!

The .204 Coopers performed great, but the wind didn't help my pd percentages much. My trip in Sep last year produced the best shooting conditions I've ever encountered (wind and weather). The Leupold varmint reticle and mil-dot scopes were also very helpful in being able to go to the yardage ranged. I ran five straight shots at 368 yds, and made my longest shot of 420 yds in the same field. My buddy shooting his .22-250 with a Weaver fine cross hair and fine dot really got flustered. It's really hard to go back to your exact sight pic when you hit, or miss. Trying to hold "Kentucky windage" just didn't work for him. I tried a few shots at 500+yds, really wanted to make one, but the wind was not my friend!
A great time was had by all, now here I sit......back in Ga. with nothing to shoot, and hundreds of pieces of EMPTY brass. Looking forward to next trip........
ImageImage
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Recent Montana trip....

Post by Ray P »

Keith.....Way to go and glade you had a safe and enjoyable trip! Yep the wind is a challange to say the least. My last trip to Wyoming to shoot P.Dogs I tried a target dot in a scope and got fustrated. Took it off a put my spare scope on with a mil-dot reticl in it. What a differance for doping the wind. I found even a fine plex in a leupold scope worked well. Thanks for sharing a great pics and carnage.
Later
Ray P
Last edited by Ray P on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith: Good to see you were able to get out and stretch Miss Cooper's legs on the dogs. Most everyone is saying the same thing this year, the dog count is down from previous years, but still good enough to justify a varmint safari. Sure is great scenery there, eh? Thanks for sharing, and know well that you have company staring at huge piles of freshly tumbled 204 brass (among others) to load for next season. Remember, it's a labor of love....right? ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Keith: It's always a great feeling when you come home with a pile of empty brass cuz it can only mean the little fur balls were sporting enough to be a target.
Savage Vaporizer
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Excellent!!!

General area of Montana you were in?

Wait until you get to see an Antelope flip the low barb wire with their horns and go under a fence....at full speed (no, we were not chasing them...they were spooked).
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Acloco, we were in the "area" of Miles City. We're always riding with the guide, so I don't have a good grasp on roads or distances. Targets were off from the last few years, but still had plenty to shoot.
I've seen a number of antelope go under a fence, but never seen one jump over.
I'd rather have a pile of brass to load, than boxes of loaded ammo left over.
ImageImage
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Hey Keith you know those snakes taste just like chicken! :lol: Just make sure you bite them first :eek: Thanks for posting. Gary