Nebraska Prairie Dog Trip

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Nebraska Prairie Dog Trip

Post by Melvin Eades »

On May 27th, my youngest son, Ethan, and I left home by 6:00 A.M. to head to Nebraska to shoot prairie dogs with our good friend Dave. Ethan had just gotten home from college the week before and we were able to work the trip in before he started his summer job. Ethan got to go with us the first year we went but hasn’t been back till now. Lucas normally goes and he and Dave turkey hunt while I run the camera and then we complete the trip shooting prairie dogs, only this time it wasn’t going to work out for him.

I took over 500 rounds of 204’s loaded with 39 gr. Sierra B.K’s, over 350 rounds of 204’s loaded with 32 gr. V-MAX and 150+ rounds of 22-250’s loaded with 50 gr. V-MAX’s. for a total of 1070 rounds. There was a possibility we might have three days of shooting and I wanted to make sure I had enough ammo to last. We ended up shooting 548 rounds all together.

We had a 10 hour drive and arrived at Dave’s mother’s house around 5:00 P.M. after a brief stop at the Hornady plant in Grand Island so I could pick up a new hat. It was only two blocks off our path. They are building on and the lady at the front desk said they have been working on it for almost a year. Just looking from the outside, it looks like a big addition.

Dave’s mother had invited us to stay at her house which made it a lot closer to where we would be shooting than the motel we usually stay in 50 some miles away. Going to her house is like going to visit family, we have always felt very welcome there and did I mention that she also is a GREAT cook.

Dave arrived later in the evening and we made plans to get up early and try to call in a coyote the next morning. We went out to one of Dave’s spots, set up the FOXPRO and sat up on a bluff overlooking a big hay field with the rising sun to our backs and the breeze in our faces. A cool front came through during the night and the temperature was a chilly 40 degrees. I hadn’t expected that and had several layers of T shirts on. We didn’t call anything in but it was such a beautiful morning with patches of fog rolling across the field, cock pheasants crowing all around and the song of the Meadow Larks coming across the hills.

We packed up and headed back to the house around 8:15 to get ready to shoot dogs and to meet Dave’s friend Len from his rifle club. The weather was the best I think we have ever had out there for shooting dogs. The high was in the low eighties and a light northwest breeze.

Here is the first day’s shooting crew.
L-R, Dave, Len, Ethan and I

Most all of our shooting is done lying prone since it’s not real handy to carry a shooting table around the pasture but Len had an interesting fold up chair-table setup that was fairly light to carry. I may have to check into something like that before next year, my elbows and neck could use a break. I watched Len make some 400+ yard hits with his 204 off of it so I know it works.

Getting ready to shoot.

Ethan had one dog that just wouldn’t come up on the mound and would only show its head. Finally after the shooting had slowed down a little, Ethan said he would just take a head shot on this dog at 88 yards. The impact of the bullet pulled the dog up out of the whole and flipped it onto the back of the mound. He was shooting my Savage 12VLP with 32 gr. V-MAX averaging a little over 4100 fps second according to my chronograph.

Most of our shots were less than 300 yards but I did manage to shoot one at 470 yards with my CZ 527 Varmint shooting the 39 gr. S.B.K. and one at 395 yards with the 22-250. Not far compared to what a lot of guys shoot but we were having fun watching them blow up on the closer ones.

Here’s one pup that kept chirping at us so Ethan put the silent treatment on it.

We shot till about 8 pm and then headed back to the house for some homemade stew that Dave’s mother had made and to meet Dave’s brother Pat, and Pat’s daughter Lillian. She wanted to go with us the next day to shoot some prairie dogs.

We said our goodbyes to Len and I think I could spend all day visiting with him about guns. Maybe he‘ll shoot again with us next year, hope so.

The next morning was as beautiful as the day before only it was to warm up to around 85 degrees. Pat and Dave got Lillian set up and Ethan and I moved on down the ridge to do a little shooting.

The second day crew. L-R; Dave, Pat, Ethan, me and Lillian

Lillian and Pat

One of Lillian’s prairie dogs.

Lillian looking for another prairie dog.

Here’s the scene from where Ethan and I were shooting.

I was using my Savage M 12FV in 22-250 that morning and it seemed I couldn’t miss. Ethan tried it and seemed to also be hitting very well with it but returned to the M 12VLP so he could watch the hits through the scope.

Some 22-250 carnage

We shot till around 8 p.m. and noticed a cloud front heading our way from the northwest.

It was a beautiful ending to a great day of shooting and a great trip. Ethan and I headed out the next morning around 6 am after we said our goodbyes and thank you’s for another great trip. It was good to get to visit with Dave, Pat and there mother again.
Last edited by Melvin Eades on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: Nebraska Prairie Dog Trip

Post by Song Dog »

Awesome!
I have wished to go back since the 1st trip.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Looks like you had a great time! I'll be headed out to Nebraska Thursday morning for a long weekend of PD shooting. I can't wait to get back out there.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Awesome story...sounds like a load of fun! :wtg:
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

SWEETT!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

ALL of the prairie dogs have been wiped out of Nebraska. Go to Wyoming, South Dakota, or North Dakota for any more PD trips.

I have them ALLLLL covered. LOL!

Nice pics...and excellent story. Looks like everybody have a lot of fun.

BE CAREFUL about laying on the ground...this IS rattle snake country. If there are prairie dogs, then rattle snakes are present....bet on it.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Great pictures looks you guys and gals had a good time
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Nice story and pics! You know how we love pics around here :D Gary
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Captqc wrote:Nice story and pics! You know how we love pics around here :D Gary
X 2. Great illustration along with the pics.
Savage Vaporizer
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Great pics and story, Melvin, as usual. You guys had too much fun. Nothing like "too much fun" for a good time! :lol: I'm jealous enough for the whole forum............

I'm gonna have to settle for a sightseeing trip this year. Mom has some frequent flier miles to burn up, so I'm headed to Yellowstone with her this summer. She's been bad sick, so it's time to spend more time with family. I won't get to take rifles on the plane, but I can take my camera. I'll try to bring back some good pics in about three weeks.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Orion2see
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Varminter

Post by Orion2see »

Great pics and story Mike. Did your ammo last the trip? I am taking 2000 rounds to WY for a 3 day shoot.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Orion2see,
I still how 500+ rounds with me.

Song Dog,
Plan on it for next year.

acloco,
I did notice a faint tattoo on the hide of some of the dogs, ac...o something. Must have been one of yours, sorry about that! Hah.

glenn asher,
I can see you now, crawling along on your belly trying to sneak up on one of those Yellowstone prairie dogs. Just feet off the tourist path with your camera waiting for that perfect shot (picture) at 12' while the other tourist watch with awe and hear you go "bang" as you click the shutter. It's hard to go to places like that and not envision those park animals with a set of cross hairs on them, isn't it?

Take the time for your trip with your mother. Too late in life do we realize life is shorter than we used to think.

To all,
It was a great time, I'm already looking forward to it again next year, after I do some reloading.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Melvin: Looks to have been a great trip there, bud; glad it all worked out, even the weather. The shot of Ethan with the PD head is great, and reminds me of how things go around here alot. ;)

The shot of the setup with the river in the background shows it's beautiful country to take a rifle for a walk in. Looks like alot of fun was had by all. Thanks for posting the adventure.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails