Ground Hog Carnage

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Ground Hog Carnage

Post by darchell »

Well I went out today and was looking for some ground hogs to blow apart and was not having much luck. Found a few by the road but nothing where I could get a shot, remember I'm in NJ can't be seen by the road or "I have some splannin to do" and it wastes my morning. Any with no luck I went to a farm where a lady lives with her daughter. They are having a significant ground hog problem and I have not had much luck assisting in the eradication. I managed to find two of this years hogs at about 75 - 100 yards. It was rather cool. I always enjoyed watching the flying skippy pics and videos and finally got to see some firsthand. the 39 BK did a awesome job. Sorry no pics but then there was little to take a picture of. I can see why you guys enjoy shooting the little critters.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Re: Ground Hog Carnage

Post by WaltherP99 »

Sounds like ya had a good time! Can't wait to get back out there myself!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Darchell,
No pics! We'll forgive you this time but no more teasing "carnage" headlines without pics. :huh: :wink: Sounds like you had fun. You would go nuts out here in Oregon where we shoot hundreds of sage rats a day. :lol: Gary
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

Captqc wrote:Darchell,
No pics! We'll forgive you this time but no more teasing "carnage" headlines without pics. :huh: :wink: Sounds like you had fun. You would go nuts out here in Oregon where we shoot hundreds of sage rats a day. :lol: Gary
.....tease..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would personally be BROKE!!!!! :)
darchell

Post by darchell »

About the picture thing. I guess it is me being superstitious. When I take a camera hunting or fishing I never have anythign to take a picture of. It always happens without. I will bring it next time. Hey that gives me another reason to get back out soon. Gotta please the other members of 04um..
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Captqc wrote:You would go nuts out here in Oregon where we shoot hundreds of sage rats a day. :lol: Gary
hey walther, N. Kalifornia ain't bad either. always gotta be checking barrel heat. real easy to cook a barrel on a center fire. i have even had a 22 barrel so hot that i couldn't hang onto it. course thats on a 10/22! :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

I really gotta make plans to get out west sometime! I have talked to a fella that I work with who has a really good friend out in Colorado who just might be able to set me up with a p-dog hunt! I am PATIENTLY waiting for some info on that!

It's nice to have the hogs around here but for me...i'm lucky if i get more than 1 shot off in a days time!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I want the VOLUME!!!!! :wtg: :D :D :D
darchell

Post by darchell »

Walther, I know what you mean. I have a few more, as I am good for two or three a day when I can get out. No where near what the "Westerners" do. I feel like I am truley missing something. I have never needed to "Cool" my barrel :wall: I want to have such problems.
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

darchell wrote: I feel like I am truley missing something. I have never needed to "Cool" my barrel :wall: I want to have such problems.
AGREED 100% !!! :) :) :)
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Guys, we're sorry that we post stories of shooting hundreds of sage rats a day! :eek: I think that you guys just need to make a trip out west and experience it for yourselves. On a typical trip I take a Ruger Mark III .22LR pistol, a Ruger Charger .22LR pistol, a Ruger M77/17 .17HMR rifle, a Remington 700 .204 rifle, and a Ruger No. 1 .22-250 rifle. Ammo is usually 1000 rounds of .22LR, 1000 rounds of .17HMR, 400 rounds of .204 and 200 rounds of .22-250. :D When we get tired of shooting sage rats we break out our .45ACP pistols and have target practice. It's a tough job but someone has to do it! :wink: Gary
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

Captqc wrote:Guys, we're sorry that we post stories of shooting hundreds of sage rats a day! :eek: I think that you guys just need to make a trip out west and experience it for yourselves. On a typical trip I take a Ruger Mark III .22LR pistol, a Ruger Charger .22LR pistol, a Ruger M77/17 .17HMR rifle, a Remington 700 .204 rifle, and a Ruger No. 1 .22-250 rifle. Ammo is usually 1000 rounds of .22LR, 1000 rounds of .17HMR, 400 rounds of .204 and 200 rounds of .22-250. :D When we get tired of shooting sage rats we break out our .45ACP pistols and have target practice. It's a tough job but someone has to do it! :wink: Gary
Don't be sorry.....We'd really be screwed if ya took the stories away from us! :D :D :D

It's all good...your just giving us more of a reason to get out there! Sounds like one heck of a time. I am slowly working on it.

Now...after taking all that ammo...how much do you come home with??? Here is what's REALLY gonna hurt! :lol: :lol:
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Ammo wise I'd say that we usually consume about 60% of most types but there are times when that number jumps to 90% :eek: . If the conditions are right I'll stay with the .17HMR all day and burn through 300 to 400 rounds in a day. Got to keep those barrells cool however. :lol: Gary