First time groundhog shooting, tips please! (added photos)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

First time groundhog shooting, tips please! (added photos)

Post by Pydpiper »

I am heading out in a couple weeks with a deer hunting buddy, we bow hunt together. He has invited me to join him on a 2 day groundhog shoot on some farms near Varney Ontario.
Here is the thing, I have a great rifle for the job due to my predator hunting addiction, but thats about the extent of my preparation.
So instead of looking like a fool in front of him, I will sound like a fool in front of you guys.
-This isn't an event that requires me to wear camo is it? I would hate to show up all decked out and find him in jeans and a T shirt, or the other way around.
-What do you do with the nasty little things after you shoot them? In this case they are being shot in pastures on request from the farmers. I mean, I can afford to buy lunch, there is no use for a dead ground hog is there?
-Is is a lot of walking of do you set up and start shooting from 1 given point? I don't mind walking, but it will affect what I wear on my feet.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Pydpiper on Sat May 09, 2009 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy M

Re: First time groundhog shooting, tips please!

Post by Guy M »

Good thing you stopped here for advice!

A full ghillie suit like snipers use is perfect, but if you don't have one, as much camo as possible so that you'll blend in with the surrounding terrain is good. Don't forget to camo your face, shiny faces really stand out and groundhogs have surprisingly good vision. A lot of guys overlook this, but the ground hog also has a keen sense of smell. If you can leave your camo clothes somewhere so that they pick up the natural scents of the area, such as pasture grass or cow manure, that's great. A day of soaking up the natural scents is enough.

Good boots and socks are a must, along with extra water. Ground hog hunters sometimes have to cover miles, if nothing else because of hiking to get from one shooting point to another, as well as stalking the little rascals while they feed.

Nothing better than fillet of chuck, grilled over an open flame! The perfect lunch. Don't bother bringing a sandwich, it's traditional to eat the kill - this is why there's an emphasis on head shots, so as to not ruin any meat. Some seasoning can help, I like black pepper.

Finally, although not considered dangerous game, they can turn badger-like when wounded, and attack viciously. Here in Washington State it's not uncommon to carry a large bore revolver as backup, just in case... If that's not possible due to laws, consider keeping an axe or shovel nearby.

Glad to be of help! :D
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Pydpiper:

I would concur with Guy's advice.

I do not know what the situation is like in Ontario. In Idaho, the chucks almost always live in rockpiles hauled off of fields, in rocky canyons, in volcanic blowouts, and sometimes in dirt banks. Here, they sometimes live in remote areas with no agricultural crops, and live off the natural vegetation. However, usually, the largest concentrations are in irrigated alfalfa fields, irrigated bean fields, and irrigated pasture. The rainfall in southern Idaho is only around 10 to 12 inches per year, which is not enough to sustain them for more than the March through May timeframe, unless there is irrigation.

The chucks have very good eyesight. The camo and ghillie suit is a great idea, but may not be completely necessary. However, shouting, moving around too much, etc. will put them down, even at 300 or 400 yards if they have been hunted and educated. So, sitting down and staying still for at least ten minutes, and sometimes 30 minutes, is crucial.

Good binoculars and a good rangefinder are very helpful. If you are good at estimating ranges without the rangefinder, then, you can make it more challenging without it.

Wind is a constant here in Idaho during the chuck season. So, knowing what your load is doing in different wind velocities and ranges is part of the equation here. Ontario may be less windy.

One thing I have learned in 30 years of chuck hunting: If you are watching one feed in a field at over 200 yards, and especially at 300 to 400 yards plus, aim at his nose, or at least his head. Then, if he moves forward before your bullet reaches him, at least you will still hit him in the front half of his body, which is the vital area. Chucks are tough, and I have seen them suffer for a long time with hits too far back. So, I emphasize the quick kill with hits in the front half of the body. Further, as Guy pointed out, do not mess with a wounded one, because they can be vicious with those teeth. They also carry fleas here.

What rifle and cartridge will you be using?
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

A good bipod that attaches to your front sling stud is extremely helpful. I prefer the prone position, unless the grass and brush obscures your vision, in which case, a longer bipod version might be necessary.

My friend usually uses his Cooper Varminter in .204 for chucks, but also his 6mm Remington in a Ruger for very long shots.

This year, I am using a Tikka 595 in .223. I prefer the 40 grain V-Maxes in my .223, and they seem to shoot flatter at customary chuck ranges out to 300 or 350 yards here.

For shorter ranges out to about 175 yards, we have used 17 HMRs. However, because the chucks are so tough, with the 17 HMR, shots in the front 1/3 of the body are necessary, and shorter ranges would be wiser.

For shots over 400 yards, we usually go to 240 Weatherbys, 6mm Remingtons, 243s, 25-06, etc. But the hot 22s such as 22-250, .223 AI, or 220 Swift would also work, but would usually be more vulnerable to wind.

I have been cautioned about letting ammo sit in the sun, ammo in the sun in a vehicle, a cartridge sitting in a hot chamber, etc. This can raise the pressure dangerously on an already hot load. Just a word of caution. Be careful with your eyes and face! They are hard to replace. Protect your eyes with glasses.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I guess we aren't quite as serious as some. We go out in our jeans and T-shirts, set a bench up next to our white Tacoma, or go prone next to it, and shoot. They don't seem to mind much. Even if we are under 200 yards.We don't stalk our chucks, we just shoot at them from where ever we are at. I guess you could call us lazy.

We have found with our rockchucks, that if you leave them lay, the other rockchucks might move out. It seems that when we know we haven't shot a population out and leave the dead in the rocks, some times there aren't any rockchucks there in another 2 weeks.

I like shooting off of a Harris 9-13 or 6-9 bipod with a rear bag, if the grass is too tall, then we set up a bench or shoot over the top of the truck.

I have had a wounded chuck turn around and clamp on to the toe of my boot before, so I would also refrain from picking a wounded one up.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

We are the same here in PA. We don't really go to the extreme to hunt the chucks (at least I don't :) ). We are required to wear an orange cap so I don't see much sense in wearing any camo! :lol:

I also agree on the aggressiveness of these guys. I've had one or 2 that were playing dead till I approached them. They tend to get a bit "serious"! :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks for the tips guys! Well, all except for the one about putting my camo in manure.. :chin:
I will be bringing my Tikka .204, and a couple hundred rounds of 39Grain BK's.
Only a day or two to go, and I am pretty excited!
I have been seeing a lot of coyotes here lately but we are smack in the middle of turkey season and I don't like to shoot when the woods are so congested with camo clad people..
This trip away will do me good, I miss my rifle. :D
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I'm sorry guys - it probably didn't come across well - but my initial reply was completely tounge-in-cheek! :D

Pydpiper - my buddies and I are very casual about our varmint hunting. Blue jeans and t-shirts or sweat shirts. Just walk through a likely area, spot & scan a bit with binoculars. Figure the range and try to zing one with whatever rifle we've got along - from .22 rimfire on up. Sometimes even just carry handguns and try 'em with those.

If I'm more serious, I'll set up with a precision, long-range rifle, but still, no camo, take it easy, keep it light hearted. It's really a very pleasant, fun way to spend some time afield and try some challenging shots. Have fun & post some photos and a story after...

Regards, Guy
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Some interesting things that I have learned, is that chucks, at least where I hunt them, are shot by sitting and watching their den areas. I hunted sage rats on one place for several years and incidently killed maybe 2-3 per year. Then we got smart and started scouting, walking to their presumed dens and looking for their droppings. If there are lots of fresh scat, then the populations are good.

We always setup at least a couple hundred yards off and will maybe wait for an hour or so before we give up on a location. We always park under a tree for shade and to keep them from seeing us easily. We will shoot a couple in each location and move. Lots of waiting and scanning.

Last spring I shot 35 using the above procedure in two days. The longest wait, was 1 1/2 hours and during that time, shot three off two different dens. Chuck shooting is my most favorite type of hunting today. One other key thing, is that during the day, they seem to be very mobile. They will jump up on a rock and look around, giving one little time for a shot. I usually have my rifle set up on the hood of my Jeep so I can take advantage of the shot he presents.

Lenard
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

My 2 cents. I go out with two young sons, 6 and 8 wearing jeans and t-shirts. We drive to various fields and spot with binoculars from the truck. When I see a few in the field we get out, quietly, or at least as quietly as a 8 and 6 year old can be, and get set up. I shoot from a 6-9" Harris Bi-Pod either from prone or off the hood of the truck. This also has become more difficult the hotter the weather gets. Turns out the hood of the truck gets freakin hot when it is 90 degrees out. Who knew…. :wall: After shooting, and hitting one, I go into the field, with kids in tow, and check to make sure the critter is dead. After which the boys argue and fight about who is carrying the little beast back. :club: This is how I do it in NJ.
As for eating them. I tried one a few weeks back. Came up with a good crock pot recipe. Unfortunately the hog must have been on his 50th season. Tasted great just couldn't chew the dam thing. Tough as a shoe. :cry: I need to get a smaller one and try again. Try all different ways and see what you like. I would have to say no matter how you do it, you will have fun. I was hooked after my first day. The boys are too.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That was fun! The .204 certainly didn't let me down, I had a great success ratio on the little things..
My favorite shot was 300 yards right on the nose, rolled one over eating dandelions, when I got to him all 4 feet were standing straight up and the dandelion was still in his mouth.
I also, for the first time, seen a groundhog in a tree, I knocked him out of it 10' up from 350.
Here is is wedged at the base, and some other pictures.

Sam in Va.
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt

Re: First time groundhog shooting, tips please! (added photos)

Post by Sam in Va. »

When I do a stationary hunt we shoot from this round table that has a rotating top. It's a lazy man's way to hunt , but is very effective. This table accomodates 2 shooters very comfortably..
When I feel like getting out amongst them I go at it with a pair of shooting sticks... like so..
When out amongst them I may wear camo shorts or pants and a light green shirt, but I don't go hog wild crazy... I just move slow.
Here's another table shoot shot
Hey Varmint !... "Hoggin' Heaven" Is Where You're Goin' When I'm Done!
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Guy, I chuckled when I first read your post and thought that this guy is just joking or he is crazy. But then I read Steve's post and thought that you might actually be serious :lol:
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good job that is one fine looking Chuck. I need to find some scales. I do like to chuck hunt.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Pydpiper:

How do you like the Tikka? How does it shoot?