Coyote hunting with the .204...

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
akrusk22
.204 Ruger Guns: Own a hawkeye all-weather .204

Coyote hunting with the .204...

Post by akrusk22 »

Since 40 gr. Hornady V-Max have been out of stock for weeks at my local sporting goods store, I had to resort to 32 gr. Hornady V-Max for my .204. Will this lighter grain and higher velocity cause more fur damage than the 40 gr.? Also, would this take a coyote out at 400 yards? 500? At what range does a bullet cause most damage, or does bullet hit-location have the biggest effect on fur damage? Sorry for all the questions.
bret1963
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 25

Re: Coyote hunting with the .204...

Post by bret1963 »

Well can't tell you about 400-500 yrd. shots but I have shot some out to about 300 yrds. in to about 50yrds had one run about 30 yrds. but it was gut shot. no fur damage that little 32gr. never came out but will make it thru the ribs and frag. inturnal organs. :eew: I like them real well I have nice yotes tanned so I would go for it.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I like the 32gr Vmax. Fur damage has not been much of a problem. Once in a while when you hit a bone.ImageImage
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

My hunting partners and I shoot 30 to 40 coyotes a year. Most with the .204 cartridge. The only issue you may run into using any of the 32 gr poly tipped bullets is a "splash" on shoulders. A splash occurs when the bullet "blows up" before penetrating adequately. This will cause some fur damage as well as possibly needing follow up shots. These shots are fairly likely when calling. If you're not calling or have enough discipline to wait for a broadside shot, the 32's will probably work OK. I personally wouldn't use them for coyotes if you don't have to. Save them for the colony varmints. You can kill coyotes longrange with a 32 gr .204 bullet but there are some better cartridges for that purpose. JMHO.
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?