pictures for the lads

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
madracer

pictures for the lads

Post by madracer »

i have been a bit slack over the past year and i dont think i have made any posts let alone posting any pictures, partially cause every time i go out im a bit busy shooting to actually get the camera out but ill post some of the ones i have taken anyway

start off with an addition to my gun cupboard.
A 300 rum with a 204 next to it and it always makes me laugh when i go from loading one to another, 32gr bullet vs a 200gr bullet, 28 grains of powder vs 91 grains, one is hard to seat the little 32 grainers and the other only just fits in my press

i managed to have a trip with my 204 and the first shot hit 3 rabbits. one missing its guts, one missing its back and the third just plain dead. just before i had this trip i got to go and another property near this one but no centerfires were allowed, i got 175 rabbits and the group got just under 800

another rabbit from the same trip

and this one was sitting half in his burrow

this is the kind of land i was huntng on for the previous rabbits

one day on holiday a just happened to set up my brand new f class rifle looking out from my fathers deck, i have had the parts for this rifle on order for 15 months and it is almost done.

and this is what i happened to see through the scope, shame i couldnt pull the trigger

i got out on a couple more trips but i didnt take the camera on the first outing of my 300rum, i did manage to shoot 13 wallabys. The next trip i did manage to take my camera

this is the kind of terrain we shoot, provides a few problems, extemely steep, has a plant called spaniard (i think) extemely sharp points, if you touch them they will draw blood and trust me, falling in them is not a pleasent experience, very few shooting positions so sitting is a common shot (i like my bipod shots) shots can be anywhere from my closest shot of 3meters out too any distance but i have only shot to 350yrds(no range finder) quite a lot of the country is dense matagauri and tussuck and they dont move sometims until your right on top of them.

this is one i shot at night with the 204, fired a poor shot and had a heck of a time trying to put another shot in it with it moving and a 6.5 power scope in the dark

two of these ones were shot with the 300rum and a mate shot one with a 270
Image.

thats all the good photos i have but i am trying to get a small camera so i can just throw it in my pocket, the dslr is a bit of a handful
Last edited by madracer on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Re: pictures for the lads

Post by Medic52 »

WOW Great pictures Thanks I would love to come and go with you......
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

MMMM wallaby stew.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

madracer: Great photos and very nice country you've got there, mate. It appears you've got an abundence of bunnies too. I've got relatives in NZ that I keep telling myself I "need" to visit. Your post just makes me think harder on that.... That F Class rifle sure looks like a sweet weapon....what caliber?

Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Beautiful country there mate. What part of NZ are you in??

In 1999 me and a couple friends spent 5 weeks traveling the country. I really enjoyed my time in the south island the most, lots of time in the outdoors, very little in the city's.

While we were on the south island we had a dairy farmer take us on a trip up the Shotover River past Skippers Canyon. He picked us up and hauled 2 ATV's down Skippers Road and up river as far as the road would go, then we went a further 50 km's on the ATV's. It was some really majestic country that your photos remind me of.

Also while in the South Island I got to do some skeet shooting, not sure location but the central part of south island. The leader in out group of 4 was on the NZ Olympic team, not just a good shot, but a really nice guy. With his help I ended up doing quite well, I ended up in top 10 (out of 30-40 guys) and I had never hunted bird or shot skeet before!!

I would certainly recommend a trip to NZ to anyone, especially since while they do not have the firearms freedom the US enjoys, they are more bearable than most other countries, my own Canada included. For hunting/shooting there are lots of non-native species with no bag limit/season and lots of pristine wilderness to do it in.

Keep the photos coming, we love them
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Very spectacular country. Nice pictures.
madracer

Post by madracer »

Rick in Oregon: the rifle is in 6.5-284 and 6mmbr switch barrel setup

surfclod: im in cantabury and the wallabies are in north otago or south cantabury, either way we stay away from that northern island, lol
Gmetme
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber .204 Ruger

Post by Gmetme »

Yeah, you SI's have some good country down there..We North Islanders (at least Me and friends in the Waikato) have to put up with rabbits and hares in undeveloped areas like this..Image
The only problem we have is that sometimes Fallow get in the way. (They come out of the bush onto farmland). :P 8)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

North Island, South Island.......BOTH look beautiful and lush to me, and a great place to take your rifle for a walk. :D

madracer: Almost forgot......loved the shot of the bunny through the scope! Very tempting to say the least.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Nice looking country you've got there! Thanks for sharing. Gary