Cold Coyote Calling - Advise Please

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Savage12VLP

Cold Coyote Calling - Advise Please

Post by Savage12VLP »

Here in SW Ohio, we have had unusual weather this winter. Very cold. I was out the other night when it was 10 degrees, but it wasn't windy so it didn't feel that bad. Is was so cold, my mouth call froze up; my eye glasses would freeze over from being in the face mask I was wearing. Any you guys ever had this happen. And..... that do you do when nature calls and you don't want to leave your scent!!??
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Re: Cold Coyote Calling - Advise Please

Post by steve »

pee in a water bottle
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Savage12VLP wrote:Here in SW Ohio, we have had unusual weather this winter. Very cold. I was out the other night when it was 10 degrees, but it wasn't windy so it didn't feel that bad. Is was so cold, my mouth call froze up; my eye glasses would freeze over from being in the face mask I was wearing. Any you guys ever had this happen. And..... that do you do when nature calls and you don't want to leave your scent!!??
Wow, I wish that was what we had as "considered cold". Our whole month of December and most of Jan was COLD. -25 to -40 deg C. Exposed skin freezes in less than 2 minutes.
And as for the scent issue when nature calls. I don't worry about it and never have.
Savage Vaporizer
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Here in Northern Illinois last week it's been -38. We have about fourteen inches of snow on the ground and more coming in. Just walking in is a job. If the wind is in your favor, write your name in the snow.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I once heard Bill Jordan asked that same question. He said if he is 20 foot up, its going 20 foot down. :lol:
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

Me and my coworker. . . Mongo. . . had this discussion a few years ago regarding deer. He pees in a bottle, while I prefer to let it all hang out. I've shot as many deer as he has.

In fact, when I was in the Boy Scouts sum years back, we were out at Philmont hiking the upper 40. We were instructed to pee on rocks due to the muleys eat the bark off trees after someone had peed on a tree. We tested it out. . . it worked! Wet rocks attracted muleys!

I too live in SW Ohio. From my experience, my 2008 gun week was nothing more than a 100yd walk then water the trees, 55 more yds, water the grass, etc. I travel in a big circle, so when I eventually made it back around, I discovered that at each watering patch there were fresh deer or turkey sign.

Smelling urine is different than smelling human skin. IMHO. Especially in locations where your prey has little hunting pressure or direct human contact while that person is echem. . . relieving themselves.

Hose 'em :D
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

I read an article once where an expert said that deer can't tell the difference between human or other urine according to the test he conducted. I've also read where some deer hunters will pee in a deer scrape or just off the trail before they get in their stand. They said the deer will stop and smell it because it is strange but didn't get alarmed.
I go when I need to. I always try to hunt the wind. Who knows, maybe it will work for an attractant scent and then I could bottle it and make a fortune!!!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Post by venison_burger »

I've had good luck using a diaphram call that is impossible to freeze up because its inside your mouth the whole time.

As for when nature calls, my coyote calling sessions aren't usually more than 15 to 20 minutes, so its not usually an issue. But if you gotta go, my theory is that any canine is going to smell you either way, so making sure the wind is in your favor is much more important. Some people swear by their scent-lok suits, but I think a coyote will smell you either way.

Good luck!