Help- Big dog problems

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Help- Big dog problems

Post by acloco »

Rick in Oregon wrote:FWIW, my .02: I agree completely with Dannybracy above. I know how I'd feel if someone shot one of my dogs....it would not be pretty.

The dog is just doing "dog-stuff"....the owners are idiots.
RIO - you would feel different if that was your livelihood being chased or killed by somebody's dog.

If they are not responsible enough to own a dog, then they should not.

I FULLY realize the wrong animal is being punished, but that is what it boils down to.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

RIO - you would feel different if that was your livelihood being chased or killed by somebody's dog.

I FULLY realize the wrong animal is being punished, but that is what it boils down to.
I think that everyone understands that it is NOT a good situation to have the dog chasing the cattle. I agree that is a VERY big problem. But I also have to think there IS an option that would favor not killing the dog. I would have to believe that the Humane Society would take it and hold it until the owner comes to get it or would sign it over to be adopted out.- Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
acloco

Post by acloco »

dannybracy wrote:

I think that everyone understands that it is NOT a good situation to have the dog chasing the cattle. I agree that is a VERY big problem. But I also have to think there IS an option that would favor not killing the dog. I would have to believe that the Humane Society would take it and hold it until the owner comes to get it or would sign it over to be adopted out.- Dan
Danny,
Agree. Personally, I would round up the dog and take it to the pound.

If it is a pack of dogs that I have called the police/sheriff/etc about before, then the 270 would be the next step....unfortunately.
Clover_Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR100

Post by Clover_Shooter »

A guy up the road shot a bear hunting dog with a tracking collar on it and didn't bother to check or remove collar, because it was on his property. Boy did he pay. :hammer:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: I know what you mean. When I lived in logging camps up in BC, if your dog was caught running deer, it could be/would be shot on sight, and there was nothing you could to about it.

For that very reason, my dogs were ALWAYS kenneled, leashed, or under my control. I fully understand having cattle destroyed by dogs, as I frequent many cattle ranches run by friends. Again, it is the owners responsibility to control their animals, as the animal ultimately pays the price for an idiot owner.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco

Post by acloco »

Clover_Shooter wrote:A guy up the road shot a bear hunting dog with a tracking collar on it and didn't bother to check or remove collar, because it was on his property. Boy did he pay. :hammer:
Not sure how he should pay. Was the bear hunting dog was trespassing on the owner's property??
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

I went to a meeting for land owners about 7-8 years ago that was put on by a lawyer to answer questions and clarify land owners rights. A question came up about coon and coyote hunters letting their dogs run across property without permission.

The lawyer said that dogs don't know boundaries and as long as they are not harrassing livestock or endangering someone, that you have no right to harm them. I had a neighbor that shot a coyote hunters dog because it crossed his property and he had to pay the hunter for the dog. The landowner didn't have any livestock, he just saw the dog was on his property and shot it. The issue went to court and he had to pay.

The other day on the St. Louis news, they had a roof top security camera catch a maintenance worker pick up a cat and throw it on the roof. He was arrested for animal abuse.

But if you ever do shoot a dog or cat, remember the three "S's" Shoot, Shovel and Shutup!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Well, fella's, I did'nt mean for this issue to become such a big debate. I can see that there are some greatly differing opinons out there. So maybe I should not of said anything. I did find out that there is a county leash law here. I will have to check into it further, but from what I understand, if a dog has no collar or identifacation, and is not on a leash - he is considered a stray, and once the authorities have been notified of the problem, and the owners give no concern, that you have the right to shoot the animal. Now understand that this just is what a fellow farmer friend told me about what he learned, and is only hearsay, so I don't know for sure. But I'm hopeing it won't come to that. My wife deals more with the calving part than I do and she said something to the owner of the dog the other day also, so..............we'll have to see. But I have'nt seen the dog at all the last few days, so hopefully he's tied up. I may try to call the sherrif again today and see what he says. I will try my best to avoid problems with my neighbors when I can. So I will avoid this the best I can. Thanks for all the input fellas. I hope the next time we talk it will be about all those mangy coyotes I shot instead of this kind of stuff.......................
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

It's OK cshooter. I don't think anybody really got out of hand over this. And like everything else,, there will be differing opinions. We watched this one close & as 204um usual,, it stayed civil & valid points were made. In the end I think this crowd will always make the right decision. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

acloco wrote:
Clover_Shooter wrote:A guy up the road shot a bear hunting dog with a tracking collar on it and didn't bother to check or remove collar, because it was on his property. Boy did he pay. :hammer:
Not sure how he should pay. Was the bear hunting dog was trespassing on the owner's property??
A dog merely walking on your property does NOT give you the right to shoot it. If someone pulled a stunt like that with one of my dogs, the law would be the least of their concerns.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Mike - If I was a rancher and a non leashed or collared dog showed up on my property, the owner would get one courtesy phone call.

Trust me, I AM an animal lover with 3 dogs and two cats...I HIGHLY VALUE their time with me (notice I did not say MY time with them - believe they are the kings and queens of this house).

Until your crop of chickens, goats, cattle, or horses suffer, bet your opinion would be different. Unless you have seen a calf/steer/cow/bull/or horse that has been ran all day or all night, don't judge unless you have been there.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I live in a class 4 county in Missouri. We have NO LEASH LAWS for our county or a Animal Welfare Society. I have run into this issue a couple of times. When contact was made with the local sheriff's dept and inquired to my possible solutions I was told that it was my property and I had every right to terminate the threat if I felt it was justified. I contacted the owners in person on their porch in front of their children and very nicely stated that I too like dogs, but I would appreciate it if they would keep the dog up. They looked at me and said NO there dog can go anywhere it wants. I said OK, Next trip to my property and chases my horses again I will shot the dog on the spot. Well dog came back again chased new colt. I shot the dog loaded in my tractor took to the back of the farm and buried him. I never told anyone about the inciden, never have heard a word about the dog from anyone. So it was obvious that they didn't care or just assumed what had happen to their dog when he failed to show up one day......
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Mike

Post by Mike »

acloco wrote:Mike - If I was a rancher and a non leashed or collared dog showed up on my property, the owner would get one courtesy phone call.

Trust me, I AM an animal lover with 3 dogs and two cats...I HIGHLY VALUE their time with me (notice I did not say MY time with them - believe they are the kings and queens of this house).

Until your crop of chickens, goats, cattle, or horses suffer, bet your opinion would be different. Unless you have seen a calf/steer/cow/bull/or horse that has been ran all day or all night, don't judge unless you have been there.
We're talking about two completely different issues. In the one that I quoted, a guy shot a dog just for being on his property. In your example, a dog is actually causing harm.

Personally, I'd take every reasonable step before shooting anyone's dog. I understand that sometimes it can't be helped, but in my opinion it should be a last resort and only be done for very good reason. If a guy shot my dog just because it walked on his property (don't care if he has cattle, sheep or pigmy albino alligators), I have a MAJOR, MAJOR issue with that. On the flip side, if my dog caused you financial hardship I would be the first guy to open my wallet and make it right. Just expect the same if you wrong me (not you, personally of course).
acloco

Post by acloco »

Mike - Ah...gotcha. Thought you meant from the original post. Sorry. :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

No problem at all. I just wanted to make sure that I was explaining my point of view clearly.

Now, back to more pleasant thoughts. Are the prairie dogs out yet????