Help- Big dog problems

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Help- Big dog problems

Post by cshooter »

A neigbor down the road from me has a BIG st. bernard dog. He probably weighs at least 150 pounds. He has been warned to keep the dog tied up because he's been chaseing my cattle. I think the next time the dog does it , he won't go home again. I was wanting an opinion on wether the 204 would be enough gun to take him out or not. My 243 in on the blink right now, so that leaves my 270 as the only other option, and I need to get some shells loaded up for it. I hate to do it but if he runs them through the fence, or gets a calf down, then I've got problems.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Help- Big dog problems

Post by Glen »

Have the proper authorities warned these people or were you trying to be neighborly in the beginning? If so then it's time the law was called.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I respect your need to protect your cattle, but please bear in mind that shooting someone's dog is a HUGE deal. I hope that you have exhausted EVERY other option before turning to this. It's a real shame to see a dog pay the ultimate price for an owner's lack of responsibility.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

I'm still hopeing to resolve this problem. I think the guy understands, his wife on the other hand is a different story. I'm confident that he will either tie the dog up or get rid of him. But I'll give it a little longer and then call the sherriff if happens again. I guess I can't really blame the dog. It seems so many people these days don't take care of their pets. We have so many stray cats it's terrible. We spay all our dogs and cats and keep the dogs in a 1/4 acre pen by the house to keep them from getting into trouble. Yea, I guess you are right. I'll talk to him again about it and see what can be done. Thanks guys. Sorry if I affended anyone.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I have been in you shoes cshooter. I had a monster chow running my farm. I went through the whole process without success. I opted for a load of .22 lr bird shot. After receiving a load in "gentle places" he thought it best to leave.

If you make contact with the police and dog warden then you are taking the right steps.

I posted before about a co-worker who shoots anything on his property with his allmighty .270! Everything from a Jack Russel up to a Rottweiler has met demise for stepping on the grass or drinking the magic water from the holy fishing pond.

The sherrif has been to his place several times but to warn him about the state rules regarding his simple minded actions.

sniper
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

cshooter,

Have you thought of taking pictures or better yet, a video of the dog chasing your cows. Then you could present this to the authorities.

Shooting someone's dog can land you in jail even if you are trying to protect your own property.

Everytime it happens, call the law. That way there is documentation of your problem.

Just my $.02, just don't get yourself in big trouble over a dog.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Actually, if he owns the land and the dog is chasing his cattle, in some states/counties, the landowner has every right to shoot the dog. But, I would check the laws first.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

The 204 is enough gun. If they don't care enough to keep him home they will probably not miss him. If they love him they will take care of him.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

If you can, try to leash the dog and take it to the pound. My dad has had several St. Bernards over the years, very friendly IMO. If you can't do that, or the dog is too mean then shoot to kill. Only as a last resort of course. But you owe it to the dog not to use a light gun. These dogs are big and solid with lots of fur. Take 10 min. to throw together 2-3 rounds of .270. Quick and easy and hopefully painless.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Racr350
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Racr350 »

I wouldn't shoot the dog unless i had to. If the authorities haven't been involved. Do that first and go from there...
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .204 (BSA Platinum 6-24x44) <-- The Favorite of Course
Rem 700 ADL .243 (BSA Contender 3-12x40)
Sav 93FV .22WMR (BSA Contender 4-16x40)
Rug 10/22 Synthetic/SS .22LR (BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40)
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Ryan S Albright wrote:The 204 is enough gun. If they don't care enough to keep him home they will probably not miss him. If they love him they will take care of him.
In either case, it's the owners who are in question and not the dog. Yet, the dog gets shot? Somehow, I'm not connecting those dots. :mad:
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

catch the owners and take them to the pound! :D
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Hey cshooter how about this, :idea: you catch the dog, we split shipping him to me. Your cattle don't get messed with, the neighbors proably won't care, my boys get a dog and the dog get two acres to run on. :D Unless we get arrested for dog-napping. :lol: :roll:
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

I would contact the authorities and then contact the neighbor along with his wife. Explain that you can't have him running your cattle. Then call the humane society and make sure there is nothing they can do, if the police don't help solve the problem. Shooting another persons pet b/c they are idiots is NOT the answer. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FWIW, my .02: I agree completely with Dannybracy above. I know how I'd feel if someone shot one of my dogs....it would not be pretty.

The dog is just doing "dog-stuff"....the owners are idiots.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails