Another PD Hunt on 10-29-2008--Graphic Photos AGAIN!!!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Another PD Hunt on 10-29-2008--Graphic Photos AGAIN!!!

Post by Silverfox »

It was only about 28 above this morning before the sun came up. I decided to stay in bed a wee bit longer so it would warm up before heading out to the National Grasslands for some more prairie dog shooting. I arrived at the prairie dog town and parked the pickup in the trees at 11:30 a.m. The temperature was up to about 58 degrees already. I was going to shoot my Pac-Nor barreled .17 Remington and hadn’t gotten it sighted in for the 25 gr. Hornady HP loads with the bullets about .005" off the lands. This is a rifle I had the barrel set back on by 2" because the throat was ripping J4 bullet jackets. The barrel is only 22" long now--it looks pretty stubby to me since my other rifles have 26" barrels.

The wind was only blowing between 5 to 8 mph and at about a 45º angle to my point of aim when I set up one target box at 50 yards and another one at 100 yards. I took four shots at the 50 yard box to get the barrel fouled and did a few clicks on the scope. I shot one shot at 100 yards and it was about 7/8" high and 1/8" to the left. Since the scope only has 1/4" clicks, I didn’t try to adjust it to the right. I also fouled the barrel on my .204 Ruger and adjusted the scope on the 50 yard target. I took two shots at the 100 yard target. The first one was about 1½" high so I did two clicks down. The next shot was 1/4" low, so I did one click back up and put the gun in the case.

I didn’t get started shooting prairie dogs until about 12:30 p.m. By that time, the wind was blowing about a steady 10 mph with gusts over 15 mph. The Pac-Nor barreled .17 Remington made hits on the first 5 shots I took!! I started taking some 200 to 250 yards shots with side wind and I missed on 4 out of the next 6 shots :mad: I decided to quit taking longer shots and concentrate on shots of 150 yards or less. Here’s one of those 150-yard victims with the culprit who squeezed the trigger.

Once I quit shooting long shots my hit rate went up considerably. Those little 25 gr. Hornady HP bullets only have a BC of .187 and they really do float a considerable distance in the breeze. I hit of 14 of the next 16 shots I took. Shots ranged from about 125 yards on out to 160 yards.

Business was fairly slow, but there were enough customers to keep me happy. I could see pickup tracks throughout the prairie dog town, so I’m sure these dogs get shot at quite frequently. A couple years ago, this was a tremendous dog town with lots of prairie dogs that didn’t hide when you took one shot. Now, as soon as you take one shot, the prairie dogs disappear for a quarter of a mile or more in every direction.

Here are a couple of victims I shot at 145 yards. One of them was blown to bits and the other one the bullet didn’t seem to expand, but punched a little hole through the PD. You can see the small dark spot on the back of the one on the right—that’s the exit hole.

 
The next photo gives you a nice view of the area to the NNE of the two 145-yard prairie dogs. The ground was pretty dry, but the color in the little hills and buttes is fantastic to look at!

I stopped for lunch at 2:30 p.m. During lunch, I could tell the wind was dying down and by 3:00 p.m., while there was still a little wind, my Caldwell Wind Wizard told me it was only blowing at about 5 mph! The temperature had topped out at 72 degrees by about lunch time. A GREAT DAY to be out pottin' prairie poodles!!!

I got started shooting again at about 3:00 p.m. and was taking some 200 yard shots and hitting on almost every shot I took. Here’s one I shot at 160 yards and the bullet didn’t expand much. This is the exit wound side and while it did exit, there wasn’t a lot of damage.

 
The PD in the photo below was shot at a distance of 178 yards with the 5 mph side wind. This prairie dog was standing straight up with his left side toward me and didn't present much of a target width-wise so I was very happy when I saw him get blown off his mound and heard the SPLAT!!!!

After lunch I hit on 15 of the 17 shots I took before I quit to go home. I was almost at the extreme east end of the dog town and about 1 mile from my pickup before I had started to head back to the vehicle. This dog town is expanding toward the east fairly fast.

I walked back to the pickup and noted it was 4:55 p.m. when I arrived. I had a little snack and it was 5:10 p.m. when I left the prairie dog town and headed for home. I had shot 44 shots at prairie dogs and shot a total of 36 prairie dogs and missed on 8 shots. Like I mentioned, that little 25 gr. Hornady HP only has a BC .187 and I probably should have been shooting the .204 Ruger, but I like this little Pac-Nor barreled .17 Remington. I has a super-sweed Jewell trigger adjusted to 1 pound of pull and the scope is a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm long range model with the side focus and a fine duplex reticule. The .187 BC is a far cry below the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing BC which is .287 and the 25 gr. Hornady V-Max which is about .235. I would like to be shooting the 25 gr. V-Max or my 27.8 gr. Hammetts or even the 29 gr. Gencos. When I get the new Pac-Nor barrel installed, I’ll work on getting loads ready for the Hammetts and the Gencos. Maybe that will happen next summer.

I arrived back in Williston and was at the M&H Convenience Store by 5:13 p.m to fill my gasoline tank and check the mileage. Gasoline was $2.499 per gallon on Wednesday. The little white 1997 Ford Ranger 2x2 with an extended cab (4.0 liter V-6 with an automatic transmission) made a little over 21 mpg on today’s trip. It had been a good day. Of course, any day of hunting is better than a day of work!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Another PD Hunt on 10-29-2008--Graphic Photos AGAIN!!!

Post by Hotshot »

Silverfox,

We get a lot of great posts on this forum, but I think your stories are the greatest. Please never stop!
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Hotshot--Thanks for the kind words. It's nice comments like yours that make me want to go right back out there tomorrow and shoot a few more PDs, take some more photos and write up another post for the board :D
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Silverfox, nice story and pics! Is your heat shield home made? Do you think it helps? Thanks, Gary
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Captqc--Some of the mirage shields I use were purchased from Sinclair International, but I have made my own from used venetian blinds. If you check around you can find the same venetian blind slats in some retail stores or maybe you could find them in thrift shops too. They appear to be made out of aluminum and you can cut them to length with a scissor. For me, they really cut down on the heat waves that come up off the barrel in front of your scope's objective lens. I also know that they keep the sun off my barrel. On hot summer days my barrel will get so hot from just the sun beating on it that you can't touch it--that's without ever firing a shot down the barrel too!!! The mirage shields work to keep the sun off the barrel and keep it relatively cool.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Thanks Silverfox!
I'll check that out for next spring. Gary
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Thanx for another great story! I'm with Hotshot...keep 'em coming! :wtg:

Thanx for the info on the shield also!
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Awesome story and pics Silverfox.I wish our ground squirrels were still up, but they have gone down for the winter. Keep up with the stories and photos.
Savage Vaporizer
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Dude you are making me jealous! I didn't get out to the killing fields at all this year. I've blasted quite a few chipmunks and red squirrels by the cabin (and one of those ugly birds that walks into traffic so frequently in WI) but no poodles this year. The new house is (finally) almost done and next year I plan to go twice...
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Yeah, I envy that.

I woke up to a couple inches of wet snow these last couple mornings. Shooting ground squirriels seems a long time from now.

The badlands and the colored buttes of that country are rugged and yet very pretty, I used to drive through there from time to time and always wondered what the shooting would be like. I would go with friends from Saskatchewan down to the Black Hills in SD, once on a motorcycle trip and several other times to go rock climbing. While they were not into shooting it was always in my mind that there would some prime shooting opportunities in all that range land.

Maybe someday I will get down to an area that has prairie dogs, I would be curious as to how they relate to the ground squirrels that I am used to. I have friends in NE Montana who I may have to visit someday.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Silverfox,

As always, good story and pictures. Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Rick65Cat
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 MkII Target

Post by Rick65Cat »

I concur with my fellow Albertans, I too am jealous. Winter has set in here and gopher shooting is put to bed til next year.
A bad shooting is still better than a good day working.
My best day this past summer involved meeting with 4 freinds to shoot a farm east of Edmonton. Well, 3 didn't show and between my bud and I in a 7 1/2 hr period we put between 700 and 800 dirt pigs to rest. My .22 semi actually quit working due to fouling :lol: So I broke out my Ruger M77 Mk II in .204 and dispatched about 50 more to a spectacular and glorious death via hand loaded 32gr. Vmax's sailing in at about 3700 fps. :twisted:
Thats beautiful country you're in Silver. Looks like some lonnnnng shots could be had.

Heres my rig, (Versa-pod bipod, Bushnell elite 3200 5-15x40)
http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t269 ... king08.jpg

****REALLY GRAPHIC****

A tragic accident at the corner of gopher and Vmax

Ruger weight loss program...works every time

head placement?
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Rick65Cat--You sure have a nice looking .204 Ruger there. The corner of gopher and Vmax appears to be an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS INTERSECTION FOR GOPHERS!!!

Thanks for the report and the photos--fantastic!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Rick65Cat
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 MkII Target

Post by Rick65Cat »

Thnx SF, Its my "go-to" center fire gopher gun. I have a non .204 gopher rifle that I need to practice up on. Its a Remington SPS 700 "Varmint" heavy barrel in .223 that I've got about 350 40gr Vmax's loaded up for.
I took it out to the range last weekend and after it was dialed in, I put 5 consecutive shots in a group the size of a quarter at 100 yrds.
THAT will equate to more dead dirt poodles me thinks. :twisted: