New To The Forum

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Dogbone
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Cente Encore

New To The Forum

Post by Dogbone »

Hi, Just joined.

I hunt with a Thompson Center Encore in 204 topped with a Simmons ProHunter in 6x18x42 and just seriously started hunting groundhods in June. Previously, I had been to central PA at our in-laws a few times. That's what got me hooked.

I don't reload and use mostly 32 grain factory ammo from Federal, Hornady and Winchester. Most of my groups with these brands are in the 3/4 inch range for three to five shots @ 100 yds at the local range. 40 grain loads are slightly larger, 1".

Recently bought a Savage 12 VLP in 22-250, but there was a problem with the rifling and I'm waiting to get it back from Savage with a new barrel. Hopefully, it will be at least as good as the original which shot 1/2 groups out of the box. :lol:

The season here is over October 1 and I'll only have one more opportunity to up my score of 50 to date. :cry:

Here is a link to another site where I posted a number of stories and pictures of my groundhoging exploits. :wink:

http://www.varmintsforfun.com/visitorhu ... ories.html

I'm still learning and am looking forward to picking up as much as I can from your posts.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: New To The Forum

Post by acloco »

Nice...very nice. Looks like you already have it figured out.

Try the 39 Blitzkings, might be something there for you.

NICE BIG HOG!!!

Welcome aboard.

So, when will you picking up your second 204? Will it be a Rem, CZ, or a Savage? :)
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Dogbone, welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting your picture, we Love pictures around here. Gary
WYLDRUCKUS
.204 Ruger Guns: REMINGTON VTR

Post by WYLDRUCKUS »

welcome my friend :D I just cant get enough ground hog hunting. I have wacked dozens of them this year with my 17 HMR. I did not have a 204 until about 3 weeks ago, and I still have not been out with it yet. I got it sighted in an inch high at 100 but no kills. Here is a pic of my last hunt with my 17HMR and my youngest son.Image
HUNT HARD. SHOOT STRAIGHT. KILL CLEAN, AND APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!
Dogbone

Post by Dogbone »

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen!

If I'm not mistaken, the 39 BK would have to be handloaded so I'll have to stick to factory for now. Have read a lot of very good things about that bullet though. I do have a friend whose son handloads, but don't know if he has the dies for 204. Maybe he could do my brass with 39 BKs? Will have to find out at some point. :huh:

No more 204s or any more rifles for now. Two will be plenty for awhile thank you.

Nice looking rig wyldruckus. Looks like a Savage? The kid is good looking too. Bet he's ready to go hoggin. :)

You like pictures? Here are some more. :lol:

Image Image

Image Image
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Welcome to the forum! Bunch of great guys here. Where do ya go in Central PA. ? I am from SE. PA.

Those VLP's are great shooting rifles. I have one in .204 . Hope Savage make's it right for you. Out of curiosity, what exactly was wrong with the barrel?

One more thing to add...if you can find someone to load the 39gr. SBK's if you GREATLY benefit you to do so. The shoot AWESOME!

Again, welcome to the forum! :wtg:
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Dogbone-- Go to the top of any page here Click on the "204 AMMO" tab. You'll find those 39's in two different offerings. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WYLDRUCKUS
.204 Ruger Guns: REMINGTON VTR

Post by WYLDRUCKUS »

hey dogbone those hogs don't have much hide damage :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :banana: yeah it's a savage and it is a shooting machine, I love it. I took a pair of coyotes with it this past February very cool, the story and pics are on the predator and varmint forum. If I can get groups from my 204 like I do with the 17 I will be happy. yeah my youngest goes out with me sometimes. I did get my wife :girl: to shoot a hog this year. :yeah: (I think she liked it) :o look at that smile :DImage
I took my oldest son out deer hunting last year for the youth season and he shot a really nice buck (yeah it's bigger than mine) check out the story and picture under big game on this forum, it's pretty funny how it worked out. hate to put a deer picture on this chat, it looks good with all the hogs. Happy hunting dogbone and a good job on those hogs.
HUNT HARD. SHOOT STRAIGHT. KILL CLEAN, AND APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!
Dogbone

Post by Dogbone »

To answer your question about the barrel, there was a spot about 11 inches from the muzzle where the surface tension of a cleaning patch would suddenly/momentarily let go and then resume until it emerged. Don't have a bore scope, but you could see with the naked eye that something was not right. So I called Savage and they said send in back.

Still waiting for the verdict and the barrel. It's been two weeks so far.

My daughter-in-law's parents live just north of Troy, PA.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Dogbone wrote:To answer your question about the barrel, there was a spot about 11 inches from the muzzle where the surface tension of a cleaning patch would suddenly/momentarily let go and then resume until it emerged. Don't have a bore scope, but you could see with the naked eye that something was not right. So I called Savage and they said send in back.

Still waiting for the verdict and the barrel. It's been two weeks so far.

My daughter-in-law's parents live just north of Troy, PA.

That's not good with the barrel. Excellent news that Savage is taking care of it! It'll be a shooter for sure. GL with it!

Troy...bout 3 hours N from me! Been through there once or twice!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dogbone: Welcome to the forum, bud. It appears you have some very nice HUGE hogs there in your neighborhood that would be right at home with the largest rock chucks we have out here. Nice shootin', thanks for sharing. As Captqc mentioned, we LOVE pictures here. ;)

By the way, my wife has gone on countless industry PD shoots, 26 years of ground squirrel shooting with me, and to this day has never pulled the trigger on a critter, wanting to be only a spotter, which she excells at. Be glad yours gets out behind a rifle and joins in on the fun. Oh, and way to go dad on having your son out there enjoying the fun also....they are the future of our sport. His smile says it all!

Good to have you aboard. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails