prairie dog combo

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
skb2706

prairie dog combo

Post by skb2706 »

Been a while since I posted anything here...seems my password kept getting dumped. Must be a 'puter thing. Spent last week out on the farm scouting for my antelope and shooting a couple hundred prairie dogs. Took a buddy out and once we got the windage thing worked out we were "curve ballin" the little suckers one right after another. At 400 yds. we would make a six inch correction, I don't know what the equates to in wind speed but it was tricky to figure past that. Took both .204s and several boxes of handloaded 32 gr. Vmaxs and shot about 250 rds. , my buddy shot about the same number. We figured about 350 pds and one unfortunate badger all met their maker by Sunday aftrernoon.
Also located several nice antelope bucks....one of which has my name pasted on his axx.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
WYLDRUCKUS
.204 Ruger Guns: REMINGTON VTR

Re: prairie dog combo

Post by WYLDRUCKUS »

:assault: That's gotta be a blast shooting prairie dogs. I'd loved to do that one day!
HUNT HARD. SHOOT STRAIGHT. KILL CLEAN, AND APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

Way to go Steve. Glad you have your password working.

Good luck on the Antelope bucks.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

jimmy - Went to all the usual places and had the usual results. Probably some of the best shootin we've had this year in just volume of dogs. Did not see any rattlesnakes which is just fine with me.

wyld - It is. Jimmy comes 1100 miles to shoot 'em...........one way. Most fun you can have with a rifle.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Pictures man, pictures! :eek: We want to see the carnage :lol: . Gary
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Alright I get with the camera man about some photos. I figure I'm am doing pretty good to remember ammo, rifles, rests etc.
To be honest a short video of one particular shot would have been especially good. Seems my buddy shooting his 22-250 and some Vmaxs hit one pd in the neck, about 150 yds out. The shot popped off "the thinking parts" straight up in the air about 30 feet....never seen that before.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel