40 grain Ballistic Tips vs. Yotes

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

40 grain Ballistic Tips vs. Yotes

Post by YoteSmoker »

I hear a lot of good things about 35 bergers on yotes at least as far as minimal pelt damage. I have heard a mix of good and bad reviews on 39 blitzkings on yotes as far as knock down and pelt damage.

I have heard very little as to the effect of 40 b-tips on coyotes. I would like to hear from you you experience on yotes as far as killing results and pelt damage. Thank you!!
GAJoe

Re: 40 grain Ballistic Tips vs. Yotes

Post by GAJoe »

I shoot Nosler 40gr BT's at 3880fps with great killing results. If it hits at much of an angle it makes a big entrance hole (not a splash). In GA the fur isn't worth selling so I don't care. I haven't had one run off yet and I've shot several 35+ pounders, a 40lb female, and a 45lb male.
The jacket on the Nosler is a little tougher than the VMAX I'm told.
GAJoe
Ezek 33:11 ... I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live."
2Peter 3:9 The Lord is...not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."
John 3:16
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Thanks for the info GAJoe. Anyone else with experience with these on yotes? I get the idea they aren't too popular compared to blitzking, v-max, and varmint match bullets.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

YoteSmoker--I haven't tried the .204 caliber 40 gr. Nosler BT on coyotes. I do use the 40 gr. Nosler BT in my 22-250 for coyotes though and it has been a superb choice. Very little fur damage and consistent one-shot knock downs. I did hit one coyote right on the shoulder bone from something like 125 to 140 yards and there was a 50¢ splash wound, but the bullet did penetrate into the body cavity and DID NOT exit. The coyote dropped like he'd been hit between the eyes with an 18-pound sledge hammer.

I started out using the 35 gr. FBHP Bergers as my coyote bullet for the fur seasons in 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07. Late in the spring of 2007 I was doing some thinning out of the coyote herd for a rancher friend of mine and had already sighted my .204 Ruger in for the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKings in preparation for the prairie dog season. I have used the 39 gr. Sierra BK on coyotes ever since. No splash wounds, no gaping big exit holes (seldome get an exit wound), and the coyotes seldom twitch after I hit them.

I love the 40 gr. Nosler BTs in my .204 Ruger for wild acrobatic helicopter action on prairie dogs. I should shoot a coyote with them one of these days just to see what kind of damage they do.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

YS, I prefer the nosler 40's over the vmax and BK's. They seem to fly straighter out of my rifle, too.....If you need some to load and try out, PM me. Don