Hornady 32 vmax enough for coyote?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
upnorthbacon
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps-v

Hornady 32 vmax enough for coyote?

Post by upnorthbacon »

My gun likes the 32gr v-max and I'm going to be using it for coyote. It shoots decent with 40gr vmax but I don't even see the need to handload with how good it shoots the 32's right now. Can I expect a big difference between the 40 and the 32 in regards to terminal ballistics? I'm hoping I don't have to go tracking very far if at all with a good hit? I debated going with the .204 at first over the 223 or 243 which we've had good success with. I decided to try the .204 simply because I can basically hold nearly right on out to around 300 yards. What kind of distance are people finding the .204 will put a coyote down, or he doesn't go far? Can I expect to drop one or have it go less than say 100 yards if hit solid at 400 yards? I'm not expecting to shoot that far right now, I want to tighten my groups more, but I'm just curious? I realize the 40 grains probably have more energy at those distances than the 32, is it enough to switch to the 40's if I start shooting them at longer ranges?
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Re: Hornady 32 vmax enough for coyote?

Post by Verminator2 »

Just be careful to not hit any big bones, or else you will get splashes. If it shoots around .75"-1" with the 40 grain bullets use those. 1" is plenty good enough for coyotes. I have seen a coyote hit at 400 with a 35 Berger and it went about 30 yards.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

upnorth,

I'm speaking of my own experience with the 32's. I started out using them in Hornady's factory loads because there weren't any bullets out for reloading. I have shot 2 coyotes with the 32's that dropped them on the spot, one in the chest and one broadside behind the shoulder, both under 50 yards. I shot two others, one in the hip and one in the shoulder, both were splash wounded and got away.
I switched to the 39 gr. Sierra B.K. and have dropped them as far as 332 yards (lasered). I have shot 20+ coyotes with the 39 gr BK since then with good results. I know there are other people on here that will have a different opinion than mine, but this is what I have found what works best for me. Go to this link and read the newpaper article on the guy in the story. He is shooting a CZ 527 Varmint loaded with 39 gr. B.K.'s.

http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewt ... 78eef033a7
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I've used both and when the 40gr VMax's are gone I am only loading the 32s. They both drop them dead in there tracks if you hit them right straight on chest shots head shots or heart shots do the job. I splashed a fox once when I hit him in the cheek bone head on and have two Bob cats splash when I hit them head on in the shoulder bone. It still killed them on the spot.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

UNB,
I like 40 grain better for the wind resistance and more energy for long shots. However, I've joined in with Mel on the 39 bk's and am almost out of the vmax. I also hope to start handloading soon (next time I have some cash laying around...if ever). When I handload I'm going to try out the bergers like verm and many others have done. If you really want to use vmax, then by all means use them. They are usually very deadly. However, if you want to take as much chance and error out of the equation, you might want to try the bergers or bk's. They seem to hold up better with less splash.
I don't know about you, but most of my coyotes are shot at or under 100 yards anyway. Hit them in the right spot and you won't have any problems.
Good luck.
BF
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.